Does Microsoft Have Its Mojo Back?

Posted by: Spencer Ante on October 23, 2009

Here is a clip of my appearance on CNBC Power Lunch today in which I hash over the state of Microsoft with CNBC anchors Dennis Kneale and Sue Herrera and VC-basher Paul Kedrosky.

We had a spirited debate and came to a consensus that Windows 7 is reviving the Microsoft franchise. I also think investors are starting to give Microsoft some credit for the recent progress the company has been making in the Internet ad business. However, Kedrosky is less bullish on that, and said he does not like the Bing story.

I couldn’t disagree more. If Microsoft is able to continue to gain market share on Google in the Internet search business that would be a major advancement for the company that would really help lift the stock out of the sideways trading pattern its been stuck in the last nine years.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

Jim

October 23, 2009 06:44 PM

I don't think the question is so much whether a Bing gain in market share would be a feather in Microsoft's cap, but whether it can get any of Google's market, much less gain it faster than Google drains Office Doc & OS market share from MS.

Lee

October 24, 2009 10:58 AM

Who is going to buy windows 7? Seriously, who is buying this? During the Vista launch there were tons of articles like this, talking about how great Vista was. We all know how that turned out.

Christian

October 24, 2009 01:53 PM

Answering the question in one word: no. Explanation: Microsoft's products suck.

Asif

October 25, 2009 06:32 PM

@Lee: Do you use a computer? Seriously, do you? You should understand we all need a operating system for a PC and if it's not Linux (Well, I know one million for who Linux is not not the answer)it's Windows, like it or hate it. In addition please give 7 a try. It is what vista was supposed to be when released in 2007.

@Christian: C'mon!!! Give it a rest. Appreciate what's good.

Suryanarayana

October 26, 2009 02:25 AM

I also do not know how people are getting the free Windows 7 for recent buyers of Vista. A simple registration of the product or activation of Windows should be enough for Microsoft to send the DVD. But they have a long procedure.

Recently I purchased a MS Office DVD. But it did not have one file necessary to instal the program. I had to go online, download a trial version, instal, activate and then activate my licence with the product key. That's how monopolies work.

But we do not have many choices.

Erik

October 26, 2009 06:08 PM

Don't forget it's not just about the desktop O/S but the desktop as well as backoffice apps for the enterprise. What MSFT has over Apple or Google for that matter, is an ecosystem of apps that are enterprise capable (sharepoint, exchange, OCS etc...)and it's how Windows 7 interacts / integrates with these apps (including Office for the desktop). Granted sharepoint, exchange all have issues but there is no better alternative coming from the others. And using google docs? Give me a break. With the amount of massive downtime Google continues to have I would never trust my enterprise data to an ecosystem like that. Yes MSFT will blue screen and require reboots, but at least I have access to my apps. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of MSFT, but people who spout MSFT demise to Google and Apple don't know enterprise computing needs well.