A Buggy Home Server

Posted by: Stephen Wildstrom on December 27, 2007

A few weeks ago, I gave a generally upbeat review to Microsoft’s new Windows Home Server product. I may have been a bit premature.

It turns out that the software has a nasty bug, first reported by Computerworld, that can cause corruption of data when files from certain programs are saved to the server. The programs affected include Intuit Quicken and Quickbooks, files downloaded using BitTorrent-type software, and Microsoft’s own Money 2007 aqnd OneNote. Microsoft says it is working on a fix; full details are in a KnowledgeBase article.

As a reviewer, I find this sort of thing extremely frustrating. It is very rare for me to get to spend enough time with a product, or to test it for long enough, for me to really be satisfied with my own thoroughness. When I do find bugs in software--and I have found many of them over the years--I report them and, if they haven't been fixed by the time I write about the product, I mention them in the review.

But it is very discouraging that a bug like this, which strikes at the heart of the server's usefulness, should have escaped Microsoft's own testing. Microsoft actually delayed release of the product for nearly three months to fix bugs, and it looks like it wasn't long enough.
Microsoft usually catches "show stopper" bugs during extensive public beta tests of new software, which subject programs to a far wider range of conditions than could be possible under controlled tests. Because Windows Home Server is intended only to be sold as part of a hardware package (although you can buy a copy of the software alone if you look hard enough), that sort of testing was not done--and this bug is the unfortunate result.

Charles

December 28, 2007 1:40 AM

Bugs? From Microsoft? What, really? MS Vista is so plagued with bugs - even at this late date - that I'm appalled. I recently bought a new Dell Inspiron 1721 and felt sure that this long after the release of Vista it would be OK. As mentioned in the article by Mr. Wildstrom, MS's flaws continue to plague even its own software in Vista, also. For example, MS Word 2007 and Outlook 2003 don't like each other to the point that you lose formatting. I installed AceBit HelloEngines and was plagued from the beginning; yet, the folks at AceBit tell me that thousands of others use HelloEngines without problems. The constant, needless and ridiculous "false" security checks in Vista render its operation frustrating and provide no protection whatsoever. The coders at MS were so inept that even MS' own software is continuously subjected to these false security checks. Grisoft's AVG was incompatible with Vista to the point that the tech's at Grisoft had to cripple the so-called security system of Vista in order to get AVG to work. Again, this despite the fact that AVG works on tens of thousands of computers around the world. When I found out from Dell that MS was originally compelling it to equip its PCs with Vista I determined that was the only way a piece of junk like Vista could be sold. When I first called about the Vista problems I was told by a tech that XP wasn't even being offered anymore. So, to think that MS wouldn't force another piece of junk on the public - this time a "home" server - is to imbue this monopolistic tyrant with honor it does not possess. I predict, however, that MS' continued arrogance will eventually exact a high cost upon MS - a cost even exceeding what it has exacted upon the public over these longs years.

Joly Mathew

December 28, 2007 3:50 AM

Bugs are common in most of Microsoft software ! Its unfortunate to know home server edition contains such a serious bug.

Hope MS will quickly roll out a fix to return the smile on their die hard fans..
else there is always a popular choice Mr. Linux ! ! !

End of the line

December 28, 2007 5:15 AM

Microsoft’s new products have made me feel like a trapped animal in a semi-functioning gas chamber and I am dying to get out of the slow torture for a breath of air. I’m so desperate that I’ve begun visiting the Apple Store – and I really don’t want to change my company over – but I cannot stand the Microsoft aligned existence much longer. It’s clear to everybody but Ballmer that Microsoft’s engineering quality is going down the toilet faster than it will flush. Hey Microsoft, try hiring seasoned engineers to lead the new engineers coming out of school, and better yet, try a couple super cool new concepts – Usability Studies and Quality Assurance before shipping! I had the pleasure of watching a Microsoft demo mid-2007 and their own marketing and engineering teams were suffering with Vista / Office 2007 so much to the point they had to reboot into XP to finish their demo. And they’re the experts!

I am a believer that trouble starts at the top. No surprise that I’m losing respect for Microsoft as Ballmer continues to make a public ass of himself, Microsoft, and every one of us. No, I’m not an Apple lover. Maybe Ballmer is right that we’re all so stupid that we just accept what he says.. after all, we keep sending Microsoft more money for worse product. I’d like to suggest that Ballmer and his team learn from history that big companies do fall when they get fat, lazy and greedy. My old computers from 15 years ago allowed me to be more productive than my new Vista / Office 2007 system.

Oh, incidentally, during my two visits to the Apple store, it was curious to me that many other customers were asking how to migrate data from Vista to Mac. It will be even more curious to watch the market share over the next 2-3 years.

Dan

December 28, 2007 6:40 AM

To be honest, calling MS Coders inept is not entirely fair and really, if you don't like MS and Windows. Don't use them! It's not to hard to build your on comp', and seeing as your a "computing expert", I'm sure you could do this.

Ben

December 28, 2007 7:37 AM

Bugs much like typos "t5hat" are harder to find and then repeat then you might think. Not that MS would have any issues with resources. I think personally that MS has tried very hard to have the next "BIG" package with grand schemes and sweeping changes that will be market changers. But MS is for whatever reason not particularly good at innovation and despite its size is not able to execute the "BIG" endeavors without 2 service packs.

I'm a fan of MS and make a good living of their products. I would prefer them to narrow their focus, think of the user first and take smaller steps.

Joe Boston

December 28, 2007 8:06 AM

Eventually the rest of the sheep will get tired of following the bad shepherd. These kinds of issues with MS products, specifically Vista, is why I switched all of my PC's to ubuntu and have not looked back. Additionally I took an old pc that was no longer useful with windows, crammed a 200 gig drive into it and created my own "home server" by installing ubuntu's free server version with samba support. My files do not get corrupted :) but this is linux and you would not expect that they would. If you want a stable, robust, operating system and tons of free software dump your pimp, run away from the bad shepherd, and give linux a try.. If you are anything like me you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

Matt

December 28, 2007 8:07 AM

Sounds like charles has had a major problem with vista. Where as, i have been running vista from launch day, both at work and home, with probably a total of 12+ hours a day, and i can remember only 1 crash on my work machine (this was because everyone said it would crash and i remembed that it only happened once).

I also run office 2007 and i have had no issues with Outlook and word working together, i click to write and email and all is fine and normal.

MS mess up sometimes, but they have done exceptionally well with vista.

The fake security alerts that you speak about, are actually an alert when a program wants to write to a system folder, and without your permission (if you setup a password you may need to enter that as well) the program will get an access denied error.

AVG are the ones that have not written their software to work with vista, why should microsoft have to spend time so that another company can make money. Mcaffee, Norton, Panda, Avast and many others work fine with windows vista, you carnt blame microsoft for AVG's programmers not fixing it!

Since i got vista my machine has been far more stable than it ever was with windows XP, far more secure and its generally a good re-write.

As for MS home server, theres some bugs, as with anything there are bugs when launched. You name any program and it will of had bugs, if it didnt they would never need to update it!

MS mess up a lot, home server as a mess up, Vista was not.

Wish I was your editor

December 28, 2007 8:57 AM

wow, talk about bugs....who's your editor? Apparently nobody, or he's sleeping on the job. Corrupt files aside, take a quick review through your writing and you'll find that it's just as buggy as the home server...

"reported by Computerworld, t5hat can cause " as well as "and I have found mnay of them " and "and Microsoft’s own Money 2007 aqnd OneNote"

Time to find another editor....or wake them up....

Me

December 28, 2007 9:06 AM

I think its funny how computer illiterate you must be if you think vista is over buggy. There is problems with the USERS using vista but not the program itself.

-Vista user with NO PROBLEMS WHATSOEVER

Frank

December 28, 2007 9:15 AM

Charles
This review was about WHS, not vista. I've had vista on my acer laptop for months with no problems. go complain to someone who cares.

Jim

December 28, 2007 9:22 AM

Charles - I would like you to remember that you do have many other options to Microsoft Windows; and in fact, these other options may be a better solution for you than your above statement. It is always better to keep ones mouth silent and let people think you’re an idiot than to open ones mouth and prove it.
I am sure that by your statements you must be a seasoned programmer yourself. I would also like to remind you that anyone with such credentials would be welcome by Microsoft as a valued employee. It is not every day that a person comes along that can single handedly fix the computer world’s problems, but then again you do seem to me to have all the solutions.
Everyone is very quick to rip into a company like Microsoft. Unfortunately almost none of these people have the credentials to do such. Let us all take a moment to reflect on the positive impacts that Microsoft has made upon the scientific, medical, business, educational, and private sectors – and the world in general. There is no doubt that like everything else in this world Microsoft is not perfect, but we are all better off because of the contributions that have come directly and indirectly from Microsoft.

Gouranga

December 28, 2007 10:50 AM

I have made a good living with MS Software for a while. I have however noticed an increasing number of bugs that I would think would be caught in first pass testing of a product. A good example is a bug in MOSS that prevents a user from deleting ANY master page because of a self reference created by MOSS when it is added. MOSS is HUGE and I don't expect them to release a totally bug free version of it but I coudl go through a dozen of these types of errors that you just did not used to see in MS products, at least not at such an obvious and easy to test place.

solomonrex

December 28, 2007 11:02 AM

I'm glad he made people aware of this. It's been a warm reception for Windows Home Server, but this type of error is unconscionable. I'm not sure how a product built on top of windows server could have this kind of a problem with live backups. Surely this situation would have occurred in the corporate settings over the last few years of server software, not just with this product. I don't get it.

As for Vista and AVG: Just installed it. Seems to be fine now, no tweaking necessary. Good, free antivirus.

Jim

December 28, 2007 11:15 AM

I have to echo a lot of what I'm hearing and have witnessed first hand.

I ran the last release candidate of Vista - all the way to present, on 3 different PC's - 1 crash is it, and that was playing a game online.

Office 2007 - I love it, no issues, I notice that "Charles" was having problems with Outlook 2003 and Word 2007 living together nicely - why aren't you using Outlook 2007? I don't have any problems with that working properly with Word 2007.

As far as my experience with MHS which is what this thread should be dicussing, it loaded up fine, it runs just fine, but it isn't as good a server as my SUSE server is. I use what works for me and don't bother with any product that doesn't.

Seems to me, that if you hate Microsoft products so bad there are plenty of other options you can use.

I think some people just like to be self-rightious and bitch, it's easier than actually doing something.

Andrew

December 28, 2007 11:23 AM

As a computer geek, I am forever thankful that Microsoft produced Windows 3.1, which brought computers into the mainstream. However, I have been completely and utterly disappointed with Microsoft products so much, that I bought a MacBook Pro last year. It runs Windows XP only when I want it to (which has become more and more rare, esp. considering the amount of Windows-Only software that I use), and I've grown to enjoy OS X Tiger (and Leopard as well, for the 3 days that I've had it). No computer company (hard- or soft-ware) is perfect, but Microsoft continues to lower their own standards allowing other options (Apple, Linux, and others) to thrive.
I also find it ironic that the subject bug affects Microsoft Money. Apparently, they didn't even test it with their own software. I can't wait for the next bug to be found involves something from the Office Suite.

Freedom Support

December 28, 2007 11:28 AM

No one needs to complaint about MS. There are many non MS choices for operation system (OS) & office suite products. I recommend you to try Ubuntu Linux & openoffice.org. I installed Ubuntu Linux 7.10 on my HP laptop without having to trick anything & it works nicely with wireless internet connection. openoffice.org is a free download & it can do most of the regular office user equivalent of MS Word & Excel. The open source Firefox browser is much better than MS IE. Asus sells a $350 less than 2 lbs Linux laptop. You can install the free Ubuntu 7.10 on almost any PC & laptop. I am in the process of migrating all my computing to Linux because of the freedom. I do not need to get stuck with the MS OS product activation issue every time I upgrade my PC hardware & re-install the OS. Linux is becoming the biggest software platform grow for many Asian & European countries. Eventually, MS will loose the OS & Office market to the Linux free world.

Jason

December 28, 2007 11:35 AM

Ok I can see where everyone is coming from here. Those that don't like microsoft and those that are defending it. Personally I am not a fan. I am forced to use it because using those other operating systems or programs, are not really compatible with all the software I would like to run. But for all the people that are backing microsoft to no end, remember this company has a track record for putting out software/equipment that wasn't fully tested or ready for the public. Anyone who has a first generation Zune or 360 can tell you that the hardware was flawed to no end, and was not ready for the specific group that it was tageted it (As far as the 360 goes it was far more than just the first generation that had issues but I digress). Vista, while some of you say you have had no problems, congratulations, cause I count the number of people I have heard with no problems on one hand, and don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of people that have had huge issues. Personally I think Vista should have been marketed for the home user, because as far as business goes, if you are not on the edge and have the latest and greatest, then most likely Vista is gonna cause you more head aches that it is worth. Also having companies completely re-write their software just to work with 1 companies new operating system doesn't seem all that fair to the software companies, and seems to be favoring the operating systems maker. So while I can see where the defenders are coming from, history is not on their side.

Eric

December 28, 2007 11:46 AM

I have used Vista since beta, and I have to say I am pleased. With Home server MS has made it possible for home users to have a central repository for files and programs. Vista is 100 times better than XP will ever be. I have also used all flavors of Linux, but as we all know, popular demand wins. more people know how to use windows and there are way more programs for it, so linux looses.

James

December 28, 2007 11:52 AM

Every Microsoft product has bugs. The unstability of Vista made me cringe. It is unstable and a pain in the a$$. However, I was pleasantly surprised with Home Server. Even the beta releases ran stable with relatively few bugs. Keyword, RELATIVELY. Home Server should have way more bugs than it does, based off of prior software releases. I think it is a great product and will be rock solid with a few updates. With that said, "F" Windows Vista.

Dr. Serendipitous

December 28, 2007 12:08 PM

So why is it that Microsoft, in spite of its deep pocket and the wealth of high-IQ employees, continues to produce so many shoddy products?

The reason, aside from the arrogance of being the top dog, is simply that there is no incentive to do better. A newer version of a MS software program to the vast majority of MS programmers is just another chore, a boring and tedious work with not enough challenges to push their brains to the limit. And you can imagine what kind of work can be expected from a large group of bored, disaffected, highly-intelligent people who feel that their ability is not fully appreciated or put to use. There is nothing more obstructive to coming up with an innovation than highly-intelligent but complacent people stuck in their ways and Microsoft has too many of them.

Coupled with this, needless to say, is the lack of viable competition to much of the MS products. Essentially, MS’s shoddy products come out of the lack of genuine challenge that could propel both the rank and file and the corporate leaders to a strong sense of urgency to do better. I am certain that some MS higher-ups are aware of this and that is perhaps why Microsoft is jumping into fields such as gaming box and iPod type devices to avail itself more viable competitors to keep the company from slumbering into oblivion. What MS really needs is a Pearl Harbor.

So how we should give MS a Pearl Harbor? The simplest way is to introduce a new provision in the US patent and copyright law to stop giving copyright protection to software that is not used exclusively for in-house proprietary use—that is, the off-the-shelf software that anyone can buy in open market, such as Windows, Office, and Photoshop—after seven years.

How does this give MS a strong incentive to do better? Well, first all, if this were the law already then the first version MS XP (without the SP2 which is not quite 7 years old) would have lost its copyright protection by now, which in turn would have allowed other companies to create better versions of Windows OS that incorporate much of the XP codes. In other words, MS would have to compete against its own old products that had been improved by others after the copyright protection on them had run out. This is usually the way patents on mechanical and electronic products work and that is why these types of products improve rapidly, usually with lower prices, since patents are protected for a far shorter period of time than copyrights.

Had the shorter software copyright protection been the law then it doesn’t even need other companies to improve on XP. After all, most of us would be quite happy to buy new computers without OS then just install the out-of-copyright Windows XP free of charge, instead of getting stuck with Vista. Thus, even without the existence of other competitors to their products, such copyright law will create an inherent completive pressure for software companies such as MS to create outstanding products that are markedly superior to their previous versions.

This type of copyright law change, of course, is unlikely to happen since there are just too many bought politicians in Washington to bring about this sort of radical change, but so long as we keep the current law which gives overgenerous protection to copyright holders, we are going to have companies like MS (another bad example is RIAA and its members) sitting on its past glory, stagnating the industry, and continuing to produce shoddy products at the expense of consumers without giving the market the ability to innovate and produce viable alternatives.

In short, the continual shoddiness of Microsoft products is a manifest result of the current copyright law that purports to encourage new innovations but in reality creates an environment inimical to the spirit of open market capitalism.

Saeed

December 28, 2007 12:26 PM

Nice comments,

Hey guys, Microsoft Products are just good for kids and even the certificates good as toilet paper.

MCSE 2003, MCTS 2008

Arstan

December 28, 2007 12:30 PM

I've tried using Vista for two weeks. I think it has clear usability issues. Like whenever you want to install program it will pop up that annoying message and the whole screen goes dark and blinks, it definitely has issues with print spooler - try connecting to a network printer on other windows, softwares running on xp wouldn't run on vista - I'd expect they do compatibility with at least its own OSes.

Not to mention security exploits, I think just doing a simple googling can find a lot of info about it.

I think just applying some themes and visual effects you can easily make windows xp better off then vista.

IMHO!

papou

December 28, 2007 12:59 PM

On 50% of my Vista installs I have had "show stopper" problems that took weeks to fix - or could not be fixed, leaving a very slow - indeed crawling, Vista on a 1 gig memory, 200 gig drive AMD 64 machine. Drivers that exist do not work well, and many just do not exist so the MS suggestion is go buy new hardware. Meanwhile my personal Aplle (Tiger) and my personal Linux (Ubuntu 7.10) just work - indeed work quickly, with clones of MS programs just installing and running from where I had left off in XP. Multi-boot efforts constantly get the MBR destroyed on MS required updates. And MS help seems outsourced to India where the voice on the other side is at the level of a 2nd year college student (I must note that at level 3 support I speak to an Indian voice that is quite competent - be it in India, London, or the US). Meanwhile 400,000 US programers have been replaced by outsourcing companies like Microsoft - which then has the balls to ask Congress for more visas because they can't get qualified talent in the United States.

Jack

December 28, 2007 12:59 PM

Vista is the worst OS to come out of Microsoft since Windows 3.0. I've had more blue screens and system lockups in 2 months of using Vista than in 8 years of Windows 2000, 2003 and XP. Vista is less stable and slower than Win 95.

The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista.

The Great Debautcher

December 28, 2007 1:07 PM

Just to say, I like the Doc's idea, too bad it would never go through. These people defending windows are just home users.

I'm a power user... I've made windows vista crash more times than I can remember, and everytime I crashed, I was thankful for the fact that my laptop has linux on it (Ubuntu). The biggest reason I keep windows is because I also like video games, and macs don't get games as quick, and are more pricey.

And eric, window's may have more programs for it, but how many of them are full of shit and next to useless.

On another take, windows vista looks like OS X, and the older versions of windows look like almost identical to older Mac designes... hmm I wonder...

More insulting, Dan, you're an idiot. You can make a computer easy, you can install an OS easy... and you can even put your own OS on a prebuilt machine, ever hear of that?

Even more insults... 'ME', you must be the computer illiterate, using windows ie, and surfing on myspace... Vista is buggy, even ask the people who made it.

BTW, Debian ftw.

I want to rant on about ie, but that would fall on deaf ears hear... mostly cause this is about the server edition...

lucas

December 28, 2007 1:15 PM

Try Linux, I run a server on Gentoo linux on a 7 year old dual 500mhz p3 machine that serves a couple of thousand users a day, to date is has been up for 624 days without a reboot. Sure, you might get MS home server to stay up that long... If you turned it on and then never touched it again for 624 days!

For those of you that want something that just works try Ubuntu, it is progressing in leaps and bounds and to be perfectly honest is easier and quicker to install than XP, has thousands of HIGH quality software titles available at the click of a button (for free), and has the stability which a computer should have and which MS could only ever dream of.

I bet my bottom dollar that we will see a MS LINUX home server in the years to come, once they realize the world vs one company is not really a fight they have a chance at winning anymore.

Eddie

December 28, 2007 1:33 PM

Anyone who defends MS with the statement that "Vista is 100 times better than XP", well, I would love to know where you buy your drugs. Seriously, what a dope...

dbData

December 28, 2007 1:57 PM

WHS bugs exemplify the precise reason I stopped using MS products and software built on Windows over 2 years ago.

If I'm going to be an Alpha or Beta tester, I'm not going to pay for the "pleasure".

I can do that for free on Linux. Even if a stable Linux release has a bug or more, I don't have to pay good money to find it! And, if a bug is found it's usually fixed in days or weeks. Not months or when SP1 comes out.

Ubuntu Rocks!!!

Whiners

December 28, 2007 2:07 PM

What a bunch of whining. Try and produce software that is bug free, and see what happens. The larger the application, generally the more complicated it is (as not all programmers are engineers). I’m no proponent for MS. Nor do I believe Linux is the perfect solution, not to mention the various disparity of Linux distro’s have their fare share of bugs, all the time, if you don’t believe me, lurk on bugtraq for awhile.

Windows sucks in its own right.
The Linux kernel has its fare share of suckery.
Ubuntu is just a Debian hybrid consumerized distribution, and sucks on its own accord.

All technology is subjected to the inadequacies and shortsightedness of human beings. It is a pickle no doubt about it. So lets forgive the software developers for being human, and look at the objectiveness of a particular tool. MS will fix this problem, and for some people this solution, is the solution that will work best for them. For others, the solution will be some *Nix box running samba(just about any *Nix OS that has an ANSI standard C compiler available can run samba).

Jonathan

December 28, 2007 2:13 PM

This is pretty messed up, and a little funny, too. I was a participant in the WHS beta program, and I reported this very bug to Microsoft very early in the beta process. The response from Microsoft:

'...downloading torrents to the server is not a "supported" scenario for WHS.'

I replied stating that torrent downloads becoming corrupted indicated fundamental issues with the OS, and claiming it's unsupported is simply a band-aid. Torrent apps read and write to the disk the same way other apps do, and something with the way WHS moves data around fundamentally broke the standard behavior.

Anyway, it's just hilarious that Microsoft knew about the problem long ago and tried to avoid it until WHS actually released, and only now they are "looking into it".

They can say saving torrents directly to the server is unsupported all they want, but it's a standard operation that works just fine on WinXP shares. An end-user isn't going to care/know that it's unsupported, they will just expect it to work like any other network share.

CAB

December 28, 2007 2:25 PM

And I thought the article was about Home Server - NOT Vista? I guess I missed that somehow... Post appropriately people!!!

Jim

December 28, 2007 2:26 PM

Microsoft Does have its problems and I continually find reasons not to like it.
Pros Active directory and server additions are pretty cool and have a lot going for them. However, I never have played with linux enough to compare.

Cons. their RD appears more like ripoff and duplicate from MAC. They new OS's are usually unusable for at least a year. They try to "anticipate" the user and do a bad job of it.

As far as Vista goes. Its shinny crap. Sure the interface is prettier and all the menus look nice but when it comes to using it, more than the ignorant user it is extreamly difficult. I am a systems administrator and the problems I have with Vista are not to be chalked up to user error. Large file transfers over the network and I would loose network connectivity. Worked in XP and why because Vista has added features that have to be turned off so that you can make it work!? Only now you cant right click and disable from taks bar, no it will try and diagnose the problem and then come up with nothing. Then try repair still nothing, finally disable and enable and still no connection. Have to restart the whole computer to get it back!! What about wireless? Hooked into a wireless and then decide to hide the SSID. Well guess what Vista will not automatically connect now you have to go into the properties (menus are all changed now) and find out that hidden behind a half dozen tabs and buttons there is connect if SSID is hidden. Can anyone tell me why that is unnecessary? If I went to the trouble of putting it in don't I want it to connect? Its the small things that get to me. If it is not broken LEAVE IT ALONE. Improve the things that matter.

Again MS has some good things going for it but they have a lot of things to work on. They could learn a thing or two about usability from MAC. Now those guys don't anticipate a need they just make things flow in the way that you expect to see them. It just feels natural.

CK

December 29, 2007 8:46 PM

I can see from these messages that many people complaining about the features microsoft have introduced and the problems with new features such as trying to self repair. Yes i can agree i have had this feature pop up many times but i think we all have to understand its the first of a line of advancements. IBM now sell self healing and repairing servers but there still new technology so i think yes these features are buggy or not always too useful but im sure in years to come many people will want ot have the features and not be without them once they are up and running and being more productive. I think microsoft have produced some good software but i think they just need loads more beta testing to ensure the best product.

Antony

December 30, 2007 1:38 AM

Its not fair always to blame to MS for the bugs, I find that almost all Tech Writers write negative reviews about Microsoft and get away with it and while Micorsoft's competitors always get rave reviews even if their feature they offer is as simple are red colored pixel.
I feel the writers should balance their review with proper facts.

Genius

December 30, 2007 11:53 AM

Attention Mr. Wildstrom.

Please run a spell checker before posting articles, you are making a mockery of yourself.
Or maybe you were using Windows Home Server for this task!

Thanks

len

December 30, 2007 9:35 PM

I don't know what these Vista supporters are doing they must be on the Microsoft payroll. After testing Vista we haven't been able to keep it working for more than 20 minutes without locking up and requiring rebooting. We just ordered another 50 laptops from Dell and spec them all to have XP. We don't have enough money to support Vista with our tech dept at this time.
My daughter wanted a new computer for her senior year and I begrudgingly allowed her to select a Mac. Other than the initial setup with the wireless I haven't touched it or had to help with anything. Please Bill Gates go out and hire th Apple software guys. They have their act together....

OuttheWindow

December 31, 2007 4:44 AM

Premature comment? May because you were paid under the table for your premature comments. Too late to withdraw!

Bill

December 31, 2007 3:09 PM

Um...Len? You're being kinda dumb, doncha think?? Asking me to go hire the Apple devs, cuz "they have their act together"...first of all, as if I'd hire "those guys"!! Secondly, we're trying to run a "software ecosystem" here at M$...a bit more complicated than at Apple. Lastly, aren't you afraid they'd get here and become ineffective, thereby reducing the number of good alternatives you have? I mean...oops...um, hang on while I call my PR department.