Where do artists live in your city?

Posted by: Prashant Gopal on September 11, 2008

I need your help. I’m working on a story about up-and-coming neighborhoods in major cities that are attracting young artists. These are places, such as the Bushwick section of Brooklyn, that are in the early stages of gentrification, where artists can still find affordable loft space and where mom-and-pop businesses haven’t yet been pushed out by the chain stores, restaurants, and coffee shops.

Any place come to mind? Give me your best examples.

Maria Ogneva

September 12, 2008 12:26 PM

Hi there, I actually wrote up a blogpost about this earlier in the year, talking about the Powerhouse Arts District in Jersey City - check it out at http://meetmojo.com/blog/?p=20

how bout not

September 13, 2008 08:01 PM

Hi folks! Maybe it's better for us to keep this information a secret! Unless, Mr. Gopal, you're looking into the efforts out there to end this cycle of displacement! check out Seattle's... http://www.seattle.gov/council/codac/default.htm

If you are, or anyone else is, it would be great to know!

John Ohannesian

September 13, 2008 08:37 PM

I'm an artist and I have lived in the Georgetown neighborhood of Seattle for six years.

billy king

September 14, 2008 03:02 PM

Skip Seattle.

Tammy Young

September 15, 2008 03:46 PM

In Austin, Texas - the East Side is the hub for artists. Affordable, urban, great central location. We also have an East Austin Studio Tour held annually where some 100 studios are held open.

www.austin-centric.com (click on label "East Side:)
www.eastaustinstudiotour.com

Su Stella

September 22, 2008 01:49 PM

Hurricane Katrina blew us inland, from Biloxi MS to Shreveport LA... If you are an artist, musician, actor, chef or other creative talent Shreveport is a growing cultural economy. I am now a full time artist. This place is great. Many talented people are revamping the Highland areas older homes.

visit my website
www.ourfireflyranch.etsy.com

Su Stella

September 22, 2008 01:50 PM

visit my website
www.ourfireflyranch.etsy.com

Durham-ite

September 26, 2008 11:23 PM

Durham North Carolina is a great community! Slowly being revitalized around all the old tobacco buildings, and small downtown, it offers lots of options for affordable work or studio spaces. Places such as the Golden Belt Studios, Durham Arts Place, and surrounding spaces that are both for rent or sale. There is the very edgy Branch Gallery and Duke's Nasher Museum of Contemporary art. Its a great city for new businesses and artists, cool architecture, diverse neighborhoods, flanked by a couple of good restaurants, pubs, coffee and popsickle shops! Its affordable and hip, on a nice scale.

Christopher B. Kubler, CCIM

September 28, 2008 10:56 AM

I sell industrial real estate in Washington DC...and get calls from artists all the time looking for space: artists love to live in warehouses! Unfortunately, DC never had much industry to speak of. As such artists just flock where it's cheapest, and that means points east and south.

Leah Klassen

October 7, 2008 02:47 PM

I am a grade 9 student who lives in a town no one has ever herd of(which is called Altona, in Canada) and I am interested in art and stuff and I'm doing a project for my career searching class.

Barbara Marxer

October 8, 2008 05:24 PM

In Atlanta, no area is more alive with artists and studios than Castleberry Hill, just south of the downtown business district. It's an old part of the city that's a federally recognized historic district, and in the past 5-10 years, has enjoyed a revival. There's an art stroll the fourth Friday of every month when all the galleries are open. www.castleberryhill.org

Heather

October 14, 2008 08:37 AM

Greenville, SC is a small, but fast-growing town with a great arts community. The Historic West End is home to many, many artists and their studios!

Also, just a tip--if you're searching for sources for stories, try helpareporter.com. It's a great way to get sources for any story that you're working on!

Lisa

December 14, 2008 08:13 AM

Bed-Sty / Clinton Hill has lots of artists. You can get amazing loft space there not that fake expensive stuff available in Williamsburg!

lola

December 31, 2008 05:18 AM

NOT Seattle...I'm an artist living in a tiny studio, in a ghetto building (robbery, drugs, stabbings etc..) barely getting by and still working 6 to 7 days a week. I do music but they wont let you busk in the good spots without having a permit...and I paint but getting gallery showings is all about who you know and how. In fact everything in seattle is about who you know. took me 6 months to find a job first moving here.

jeannine hackney

January 22, 2009 12:22 PM

Having just moved to the outskirts of Atlanta as an artist I had no idea where to go to sell my paintings. When I saw your article in the neewspaper I thought, hey, maybe I can find someone through this artricle. I was a partner in a gallery in Memphis, Tn and brought tons of paintings with me . I paint in oil in the style of the old masters plus breaking that trend also do some abstracts. I attended The Art Students League in NYC, plus Pgh Center for the Arts & North Carolina
School of the Arts. Can someone out there help me. I live in Duluth,GA just a half hour or so from Buckhead.

Thank you for your interest. This blog is no longer active.