Businessweek Archives

Jeep Compass Bobble-Head Ad Gets Attention

? World Cup Soccer Ball Design Was Terrible |

Main

| Cadillac Reaching For Icon Status in New Positioning ?

July 25, 2006

Jeep Compass Bobble-Head Ad Gets Attention

David Kiley

Once in a while, I have to go out on a limb and just say that I think an ad is going to work to achieve its desired effect. That's the case with the new TV ads for the Jeep Compass, featuring the new pint-sized SUV and, yes, a bunch of bobble-head dolls. I predict some other critics will pan it. But there you are.

The point of the ad, or shall I say the message, is "It's Your Life. Keep It Moving." Get it...bobble heads keep moving. The music is some sort of urban synthe-rap that I hate. But, hey, I'm not the target. What I like about the ads is the way the bobble-head dolls are used to tell a vignette. In one spot, the product info payoff is about how the rear seat folds flat and the floor opens up for extra storage. In the ad, it was about fitting a big guitar amplifier in the rear.

The Compass is new territory for Jeep. It's a small SUV that is not meant to go off-road. It's not "trail-rated" like other Jeeps to climb over boulders. It's an urban SUV. Indeed, I am hard-pressed to even call it an SUV. It's built on the same platform as the new Dodge Caliber. It is, in my book, a hatchback car.

But what's in a name? Exactly. Compass is a new name for Jeep, and it needs to generate simple awareness. These ads pass my stop-and-look test. That means that if I was getting up from my chair to go to the john or get a drink at the commercial break, this is an ad that would make me stop and look back at the TV.

03:16 PM

advertising creative

TrackBack URL for this entry:

This ad is retarded and unoriginal. Bobble-heads? I mean, really. What were they thinking? I wouldn't even look at a bobble-head in a store, much less watch one on TV. Even worse is the music in one spot: a droning country song sung by the likes of Hank Williams or someone just as dull. Who really listens to that? Certainly not the hip, urban market they're trying to cash in on. The whole thing just had the effect of making me want to doze off. Lastly and most annoying is how unoriginal the fuel efficiency ad is. Didn't Volkswagon do the same ad where instead of pulling in for gas the drivers just stop to discard trash? I don't know who's behind this ad campaign but I think Jeep should demand their money back. This ad is just plain boring.

Posted by: GP at August 15, 2006 02:14 PM

The song is catchy. I believe it is KRS-one, who happens to be a popular hip hop group, GP. Second of all, how did you get such an easy job, David? I mean your sole purpose in life is to criticize other peoples creative works. Who asked you, anyway? I'm sure you've heard opinions are like @$$holes... Well, yours stinks really bad!! P.S. Don't bother reposting and acting all tough because I will never visit this site again.

Posted by: None Of Your Business at August 25, 2006 07:32 PM

I love those bobble head commercials! I like the music i looked it up on the net and its KRS ONE steady bounce or something like that! there were like three versions of the commercial i found on the internet and i love to watch them! I don't know if its that catchy little rap hip hop or the cute little heads bobbing up and down while the music plays. NO words spoken just bobble heads as they go by and the expressions on the faces when they pull up to the gas station and don't get gas. The gas station attendant looks sad! I love it! I went to the jeep website cuz i want one of those bobble heads and i checked out the compass too. But no bobbleheads for sale on the website yet!

Very cute ...

Posted by: Bobbieboop at August 26, 2006 09:44 PM

"retarded?" how PC. commercials are all unoriginal. so is country music. and that song is pretty great, actually. Youre the worst kind of idiot who would even take the time to bitch about commercials... theyre gear towards YOU, dummy.

Im just trying to get that country artists name.

Posted by: yabadaba at August 27, 2006 12:29 AM

Actually, the song was written by Gene Autry of old cowboy Western fame, and Fred Rose, who helped Hank Williams Sr. write most of the late great Hank's songs. My best guess is that's Autry singing; he's a little too smooth to be Hank. And anyone who doesn't appreciaite that old country music doesn't deserve to be driving a Jeep anyway.

Posted by: Lynn Berk at October 3, 2006 12:10 AM

You all need to get a life...or laid. One of the two.

Posted by: Gotta a life at October 3, 2006 09:50 AM

I hate all of the new jeep commercials. ESPECIALY the wrangler commercials. Who the hell needs a 4 wheel drive vehicle in the friggin city!?!?! And jeeps are SOOOO hip and urban... I own a wrangler....you wont see me "pimping" it any time soon. more like jacking it up, putting huge tires on it and looking for Compass drivers to flatten. YEHAWW!

Posted by: Ryan at November 3, 2006 08:40 PM

haha, Gotta a life is so right; you all are hillariuos. Though I must say that the reason I even found THIS page is becasue I found that urban tune so catchy and decided to search for it. Just the fact that we have these comments and such strong opinions is evidence that this ad did its job as you all now know that Jeep has a new product out called the Compass.

Posted by: Rhombus at November 3, 2006 09:06 PM

I love the new jeep commercials. It's so catchy and the bobble heads are so cool. Not that it would make me want to get a jeep, but it definitely catches your attention.

Posted by: Jefferson at November 3, 2006 10:24 PM

KRS-One is actually a solo artist, not a group. He has a hip-hop crew that he often references in his songs called BDP (Boogie Down Productions). Part of the reason why it was tapped for this ad, was that it contains a vocal sample from an older hip hop track called "Whatchu Want" by a not so well-known artist called N.I.N.E. The lyrics in the sample are "Steady bouncing in Jeeps on the New York streets"

More info here:

Posted by: Ben at November 17, 2006 04:47 PM

i love the commercials i think there hilarious! i love that song that is the only way i found this site was because i was looking for it!! what is it called??? Anywhoo i really dont care for the compass i just like the song so if som1 could get me the name that would be great!

Posted by: Z-Dubb at November 25, 2006 10:42 PM

I LOVE THE MUSIC...WHO SINGS IT?

Posted by: MONICA at December 11, 2006 02:37 AM

I just saw the ad and loved the dog!! He was the best bobble head. I waited to hear what the commercial was about and it was Jeep Compass. So I thought I'd google it. First time I ever heard of the Jeep Compass. That was a good way to get people's attention if you ask me. I'm from Detroit but don't know much about cars.

Good music, too!!

Posted by: MaryKath at December 21, 2006 09:15 PM

I think the bobble heads are awesome. They're laid back and cool. Most commercials don't impress me. Especially if they're boring. This one was cool, smoothe and catchy all in one. Nice Job. Makes me want a Jeep!

Posted by: Burt at December 26, 2006 06:21 PM

The song is not by KRS ONE, whom -as pointed out before- is a solo artist, and not a group.

The song is a sample from Nine's "Whatchu Want" track from 1995. Nine is an underated New York emcee and Funkmaster Flex protege.

Posted by: Gweg at December 26, 2006 07:56 PM

I seen within these comments that some people love them or hate them, bobbleheads that is. Most would agree that they can be funny, silly or stupid...but did you know that much has changed in the year 2006+. For example:

Did you know that having custom bobble head dolls is just not for the Derek Jeters of the world. HD Design Center (www.hddesigncenter) specialized in custom made bobblehead dolls hand painted and hand sculpted from photographs sent to their company.

Bobble heads made to resemble you have become big business, a great holiday gift as through end of Nov and Dec, HD Design center provided over 2000 custom wobblers alone. Valentines day, February 14th means even more bobble heads.

Any one can bobble....how about you!

www.hddesigncenter.com

Posted by: Jeff at January 2, 2007 10:27 PM

Where can I buy the bobbleheads from these ads?

Posted by: Kristy at January 11, 2007 01:16 PM

Why is everyone dissing country? The music was around when Chrysler was trying to establish itself in the 1950s. Rap shouldn't be mixed with great car companies. It only tries to reach out to the new urbanites.

Posted by: dave at January 11, 2007 02:41 PM