Businessweek Archives

? The Real Estate Job Boom |

Main

| Gotta Laugh ?

May 05, 2006

For Sale By Owner

Peter Coy

Realtors will argue that only a professional can get you a good price and guide you through the intricacies of closing. But selling your house without an agent is getting more and more convenient, thanks to increasingly sophisticated Web tools.

One new advertising-supported site called emongoo.com looks vaguely like google.com and offers free listings by owners. You can post as many as 20 photos of your house for free. You also get a free yard sign. Hand-holding costs extra: For $626 you get unlimited telephone consultations on pricing, selling, interior decorating, doing open houses, etc. That's not cheap unless you compare it to the thousands of dollars you'd be paying a brokerage firm.

emongoo.com is still light on listings, so it's not yet much of a magnet for potential buyers. Then there's the name--I keep picturing a mongoose. But my guess is that with real estate markets softening, emongoo.com and other FSBO sites are poised to pick up business from sellers who simply can't stand to pay what full-service agents are asking.

08:00 AM

Selling

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference For Sale By Owner:

? eMong what? from The Future of Real Estate Marketing[Read More]

Tracked on May 5, 2006 02:15 PM

? Internet Real Estate Advertising — Emongoo joins the fray from Pittsburgh Homes Daily

The Business Week blog Hot Property posted last week about a new advertising supported site to post homes For Sale By Owner. It’s called Emongoo. My question is how is this different than every other site on the internet allowing posting of c... [Read More]

Tracked on May 10, 2006 09:53 PM

My blog has received a constant stream of comment spam from this guys over the past few days, so I've never bothered to even check them out... Too bad they have such bad blogging etiquette because from your description it sounds like they might be onto something interesting.

Posted by: Dustin at May 5, 2006 02:47 AM

First of all thank you for your post. I would like to address Dustin's comments first. I am sorry that you have been "blog spammed". I hope you take a look at www.emongoo.com. I agree that 'blog spamming' is not good blogging etiquette and I thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Okay now on to the post written by Peter Coy:

Our name, you either love it or you don't understand, but either way you remember it! Only time will tell if the name works, but so far, so good!

Mongoose are fast little creatures and we here at emongoo are happy to say we are growing at a very healthy and fast rate. We are 'light' on listings in some states and 'heavier' on others. With our national launch just under six months ago, we couldn't be happier with our success. We owe it to one thing and that is our clients. We are built on a referral model and a lot of our clients refer friends and families every day. We hope that with a little bit of press coverage we will see a healthy expansion in growth.

The site is free to list and search on. If you are a buyer you can contact the seller without placing any personal information in our system. If you are a seller you can post your property on our site for free. You can also add features to your listing, like coaching, real estate contracts, flyer boxes, open house signs, directional signs and so on. Our goal is to create a one stop shop for real estate. We are looking to give individuals an alternative to selling ALL types of properties, not just homes. You can list, commercial properties for sale or lease and residential properties both for sale and for rent.

Again thank you for the post and I invite everyone to give us feedback via our blog at www.emongoo.com/blog . We are willing to listen to any type of feedback. Only those that are willing to listen will succeed. Check out some of the testimonials of our clients, take a look at the site and we welcome your thoughts.

Posted by: Wes Morgengg at May 5, 2006 11:54 PM

Living in a hot market like Orlando, Florida, it's very evident that the days of real estate agents are numbered.

Everyday I drive the streets of my community and see less and less commercial real estate signs and more and more FSBO's.

Anyone considering getting their residentital real estate license now should seriously take a good hard look at long term prospects.

Posted by: Adam C. Dudley at May 16, 2006 12:39 AM

There are many more of these sites springing up in the international real estate marketplace and they are now sitting side by side next to traditional real estate websites. Question still remains "Will they take over fully from real estate agents sites"

Imagine you are a client selling your property abroad, surely you are going to have to use an agent to show potential clients around your home, even if you get all the viewings yourself?

Maybe what will happen is agents will offer a different service, where for a much reduced fee, they effectively just key hold and show clients around, the owner does all the marketing themselves?!

Posted by: A Samuel at May 20, 2006 06:14 AM

emongoo looks like every other anonymous national fsbo website, with a variation on pricing. The really different types of fsbo websites are the ones affiliated with fsbomadison.com, of which goldenstatefsbo.com is one. These are local fsbos, dedicated to a particular community, and tailored to that community. The folks running them live in the area, work in the area, shop in the area, and through their connections and direct service, the fsbo market grows. fsbomadison.com is the most trafficked fsbo site in the country.

On another note, in the San Francisco-Bay Area,there are so many peoople trying to make a living by being a realtor, or strike it rich by buying and flipping, that a majority of the for sale by owners are really brokers and realtors selling on their own. That might tell you something about the benefit of fsbos.

Posted by: Yo at May 27, 2006 12:42 AM

Peter I would disagree with your last sentence. "other FSBO sites are poised to pick up business from sellers ..."

In times of deflating real estate prices FSBOs will go the way of the dodo. In a rising market here are the 3 scenarios of a seller.

1) Home under priced = it gets snapped up immediately

2) Home priced correctly = gets bought in a reasonable timeframe

3) Home somewhat overpriced = the market moves up to the price level and home gets bought

Now in a down market it get a little trickier.

1) Home is under priced = the majority of buyers are still using a traditional real estate agent for the expertise they offer especially for pricing and evaluating homes. So even an under priced home is not guaranteed to get much traffic let alone a contract.

2) Home is priced right on the money = due to the fact that most of the buyers are using agents the home is bound to have a longer time on the market at which point the depreciation of the market will make the home overpriced

3) Home is overpriced = never gets sold

So it is clear that in a deflating market FSBOs have a much harder time succeeding. Even though you are right that people will sometimes not be able to effort a Realtor, it is still the more likely route to success, especially in a falling market.

Posted by: Toby Munk at October 21, 2006 12:59 AM

I don't believe a thing real estate agents say. I don't hate them just the tricky and unexperienced ones. Which in my opinion is most of them. Take the "no obligation market evaluation" for example, the oldest and most unoriginal term you will see

advertised. Do they think people are stupid? The real definition should be, “yes I will come over to your home, tell you what it’s worth, then I will bug the hell out of you until you list it with me". In the meantime, they will send you some

“awesome” fridge magnets, calendars and pencils just so you don’t them. I have written at length about this, I'm NOT selling anything, just a frank, real world discussion.

Posted by: fsbohomz.com at October 21, 2006 02:53 PM

most real estate agents are of clerical level or worse. they couldn't find a job based on their qualifications that would pay anything. these are not brain surgeons and we should consider anything ANY real estate agent says with a grain of salt. i've arrived at this conclusion after buying and selling innumerable houses over a period of decades.

Posted by: jt at November 26, 2006 02:59 PM

Most people complain about real estate agents because they can't do their jobs. My wife is a Realtor, she gives a portion of her commission to a charity that the seller or buyer chooses. Would you like to know how often the sellers FIGHT with my wife to get that money because of their greed and stinginess, it seems that starving children in Africa just aren't as worthy as some Joe Schmoe who sold his property and netted 200K on it. It makes me ill. I don't know how she puts up with these people, before she became a Realtor I thought the same thing as you. Now I pitty other sellers' petty ways.

Posted by: raul at December 28, 2006 10:26 PM

We Almost Lost the Nasdaq
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters