Businessweek Archives

What Should the Podcast Focus on Next?

? The New Old Web 2.0 |

Main

| This Week's Podcast with Fred Wilson ?

March 15, 2006

What Should the Podcast Focus on Next?

Heather Green

So, I am thinking of winding down the podcasts on the business of podcasting. I think we've chatted with a good cross section of folks, including TWiT's Leo Laporte, the folks at PodShow, RocketBoom, TikiBar, and the digital gurus at NPR and Clear Channel.

So what should we focus on next? Citizen media? More on video? Maybe nothing in particular?

09:33 AM

podcasting

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference What Should the Podcast Focus on Next?:

? SXSW, Podcasting, Pandora, Last.fm ... from neoMarketing.TV

[Summary] Moving from his reflections from SXSW panels Onur Kabadayi seeks the "missing pieces" of Pa... [Read More]

Tracked on March 16, 2006 09:21 PM

I've really enjoyed hearing the various perspectives on the business of podcasting from some of the leaders in the space... I for one have been particularly interested in the points-of-view of those producing video/animated content, since it is considerably more challenging (and frequently more entertaining). ??? I can see why you might want to shift or broaden the focus- but I do hope you will keep periodically exploring the economic opportunities/challenges surrounding audio/video podcasting. There are a great many smart/creative minds attempting to crack this nut in a lot of different ways- and I suspect that every month, some of the leaders in the space will be trying something new and interesting to make it work financially. ??? It seems all but inevitable that Apple will, at some point in the future add tools for the podcasters in iTunes that allow them to charge for subscriptions/downloads- and if/when that does happen, there will be a great deal to discuss and explore. ??? On that note- I do think it would be interesting- if you are able to get somebody from Apple's iTunes group to talk with you- to hear Apple's take on podcasting and the future for iTunes. Of course, they may be unwilling to disclose much... But certainly a big part of the podcasting universe would love to know more about what Apple has planned, or about how apple chooses content to feature, or whatever.

Posted by: J. Sewell at March 15, 2006 12:46 PM

Thanks, that's good advice to come back to the themes people have talked about in the podcasts so far, since it's evolving and it is interesting. I just feel, like you say, that the focus should be broader at this point, just because I think we have dug in deep on the business of podcasting and a lot of what we talk about may be incremental if we just keep doing it week after week.

Great suggestion about lining up something with iTunes. Someone else on the blog made that suggestion a while ago and I tried to line them up. But they basically said no. Wouldn't say why, though Apple does tend to be pretty close mouthed.

Posted by: Heather Green at March 15, 2006 01:20 PM

I enjoy your podcast. I think some people from the media buying end might be interesting, especially as time goes on and more podcasts are sponsored. I think the most interesting angle on podcasting is how podcasts can create attractive niche audiences.

Posted by: BJ Fischer at March 15, 2006 01:55 PM

i think it's a great idea to come back to the same podcasters a year from now and find out how it's going. they'll be a little older and wiser. in the mean time, the one podcaster that i think you've missed interviewing is yourself. i wouldn't mind hearing you answer some of the same questions you've asked the others. "how did you get started?" "what was your breakthrough moment?" "what's your business model?" you've had a front row seat, so let's hear about it.

Posted by: schadenfreudisch at March 15, 2006 03:47 PM

I think newly emerged music media, such as podcasts or new services like pandora, last.fm still has a long way to go in order to become mainstream... They're not very friendly to you average Internet citizen, and are not marketed well... Read more on my blog:

SXSW, Podcasting, Pandora, Last.fm: http://www.neomarketing.tv/archives/sxsw_podcasting_pandora_lastfm_.php

Posted by: Onur Kabadayi at March 16, 2006 09:27 PM

I find it interesting to see how business people leverage the podcast on the local level. I'm a Reno transplant, living in Indianapolis now, but I visit the local news pages for Reno often. I found this little nugget on how a local realtor uses podcasts to attract new business from out of state. Article from Reno Gazette Journal: http://news.rgj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060317/BIZ12/603170371/1071

Posted by: Mike Souders at March 17, 2006 10:11 AM

Burger King's Young Buns
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters