Businessweek Archives

Pocket watches are back

? BusinessWeek cover studies Google's gold |

Main

| Jason Calacanis calls for AOL to suspend ads on blogs ?

November 26, 2005

Pocket watches are back

Stephen Baker

My son says that "nobody" at high school wears a wristwatch anymore. If they really need to know the time, they reach into their pockets and look at their cell phones. This is a return to the days of the pocket watch. Could it be a return to simplicity, to a less chronocentric culture? Maybe next, like their ancesters, they'll just keep an ear out for the cathedral chiming every hour. Or now that I think about it, maybe these people don't really need watches, since bells and horns are constantly ringing at school, telling them that time's up.

08:32 AM

society

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Pocket watches are back:

? Generation X - Are We Building the Services They Need? from Connected Internet News | Broadband Mobile Gaming News

In a post on Blogspotting by Stephen Baker he states that his son and his friends don't wear watches anymore. If they need to tell the time, they reach into their pockets and In a post on Blogspotting by Stephen Baker he states that his son and his friends don't wear watches anymore. If they need to tell the time, they reach into their pockets and [Read More]

Tracked on November 26, 2005 10:00 AM

The Media is showing there disdain for rules of good writing by using words before they are defined, or they are showing conceit. What's a Blog? I know what a Blug Blog is. When my sister and I were 6 she would read and if she came to a word she didn't know she would insert "Blug Blog" for it. So Blog is "Blug Blog" as is "URL"

Posted by: Charles Klivans at November 26, 2005 09:33 AM

Besides the meaning of "Blog" and "URL", why is the president flying around in a Lear Jet? Did he fly non-stop from Washingtom DC (Where's Washington AC?) to China? How long did it take? What happened to Air Force one? Too slow? Too expensive? Too easy to spot? All of the above?

Posted by: Charles Klivans at November 26, 2005 09:39 AM

When I was in school (okay, we're talking almost 19 yrs since HS grad), we had huge clocks on the wall. I know cause I would count the minutes down in most subjects. (laughing) But you are right about the bells/horns. They work too.

Pocket watches are so classy! I wish they would make a full come back. I bought a very simple "sort of" pocket watch. The face was as big as a quarter. It was shaped and painted like a lady bug, and the two wings closed over the face. Really cute. I'm not sure if I described that very well. But I got it at Kohls a few months ago, and it's on my key chain. :)

Have a great weekend, Stephen.

Posted by: Anna at November 26, 2005 10:01 AM

Haven't worn a watch in 20 years or more. I tell time by the sun. (It helps to live in California.) Not very exact, you might say, but once you no longer wear a watch, you realize how many places you can find the exact time (computer, VCR, cell phone, car radio, ...).

Posted by: Rob Hof at November 26, 2005 11:14 AM

Rob, next time we're in the same town, we'll have dinner together at sundown. I won't wear a watch either.

Posted by: steve baker at November 26, 2005 04:48 PM

It might be a bit premature to write off the wristwatch -- even for today's youth.

Many things are converging on the mobile phone inlcuding voice, SMS, IM, & multimedia applications. For the 'always on - always connected' generation (Steve - that includes both my sons), its not difficult to imagine them having to soon reach into their pocket many, many times each day.

Now, think about about these alerts being 'pushed' to the wristwatch via bluetooth.

If you believe that convenience is the ultimate competitive weapon.....in this context the wristwatch (being something that is worn vs carried)....offers a convenience hard to beat.

I'm betting on a wristwatch comeback.

Posted by: billg at November 26, 2005 06:01 PM

i just bought the most amazing pocket watch of my life!

Posted by: Nids at February 18, 2006 04:48 AM

Good Day!

I speak english a little ok!

I need to know exactly what's the meaning of the word Blug, Can you tell me please?

Posted by: Ernesto Manjarrez Estrada at July 9, 2006 01:09 PM