Businessweek Archives

Alexis Stewart Beats Her Mom In The Radio Game

BMW Chooses Texas-based GSD&M As Its New Ad Agency |

Main

| Sony Gets Ballsy. And It's Good.

November 15, 2005

Alexis Stewart Beats Her Mom In The Radio Game

David Kiley

Here’s a newsflash. Psssssssssst. Alexis Stewart, daughter of decorating diva Martha Stewart is much funnier and more interesting than her Mother. How do I come by this perspective, especially after Alexis has done her best impersonation of a sea sponge on The Apprentice?

I happened to catch an hour of her radio show on Sirius Satellite Radio last Thursday night. Called “Whatever,” Alexis co-hosts the show with the daughter of Martha Stewart Omnimedia Chairman Charles Koppelman, Jennifer Koppelman Hutt. The airing wasn't touted. It was, as one Sirius exec stated, "a soft launch."

It was a hoot. In one hour, Alexis complained in detail about not knowing what do or how to act on The Apprentice, confessed that she had slept with the cameraman assigned to shoot her, and had experimented with lesbianism. She certainly seemed and sounded serious about all of it. Hutt was surprisingly funny too. She prattled on with a pretty good yarn about being summoned to New York dining hot-spot Nobu to meet Alexis and Martha for dinner only to be stuck manning a table for eight alone for almost two hours waiting for the Stewarts. Martha called her to let her know her progress toward showing up at which point Hutt informed her that fellow Sirius star Howard Stern and his daughter had just sat down. Stewart insisted Hutt ask the already peeved hostess to re-seat her next to Stern’s table. Who knew Martha was such a Howard fan? Hutt's telling the incident is better than mine.

Meantime, Alexis spit venom in the direction of Nobu. It seems she recently had her Mother’s assistant book her a table at the ridiculously hard-to-get-a-reservation joint. When she showed up without her Mother, Alexis related, they treated her shabbily, seating her in “Siberia,” and showing outward disappointment that her Mother would not be dining.

If it all sounds insipid, it was. But after four 11 15-hour work days in a row, and being in no mood to listen to Anderson Cooper wax on about the French riots, I was happy to settle on Martha’s channel for some entertaining radio junk food. Figuring the two girls were going to be dreadful, merely trading off their parents’ names and bank accounts, I was pleasantly surprised at how facile they were on the radio. In fact, I pathetically and secretly wished that Alexis would invite me to her apartment for a party she is throwing this month for 150 people.

One thing, though. I have long been suspicious about the audience for many of Sirius’s shows. Consider that after an hour of listening to juicy cotton candy and hearing Hutt give out the call-in number three times, just one caller actually dialed in. And that was Mr. Hutt who was actually pretty funny, relating how his yenta wife calls him on his cellphone constantly. He comes out of the gym after an hour of working out and he’s got some six messages from his wife. That’s only funny if you had been listening for the preceding hour. But it made me wonder just how many people are listening to Sirius channels at any one time. In any case…talk about guilty pleasures…the show was insipid, very funny and much better than the audio play of Martha's daytime show I caught last night in which I was listening to some Chef make autumnal raviolis. The show will start airing from noon to 2pm daily this week.

04:45 PM

media

TrackBack URL for this entry:

lesbianism? slept with cameraman? wow, wish i had the chance to catch that show too .. but too bad. anyway, i like your personality. you look attractive on the apprentice show.

Posted by: shaleneooi at November 16, 2005 01:18 AM

This giant pixie is a dynamo!

Posted by: LexiFan at November 18, 2005 03:21 PM

Is the Sirius Satellite Radio show available in Illinois,on a regular radio?

Posted by: Jewel1 at December 2, 2005 06:17 AM

Did Alexis say anything about feeling embarassed about her mother going to prison? Does Alexis ever talk about her mother's lying?

Breal

Posted by: Shawn at December 2, 2005 11:18 AM

Thanks for the dish. I'm getting Sirius for my mother for Christmas. She is a HUGE Martha fan and wants to subscribe to Sirius specifically for Martha. Also, as a Martha fan I am happy that her daughter seems to be coming out of her shell. I absolutely respect her privacy but it's a guilty pleasure hearing about hearing about her and her life. I think she's lovely. PS That's a really bad photo you've posted of them.

Posted by: Kathryn at December 3, 2005 01:27 AM

Let's see, her Mom has made a zillion dollars and created jobs for hundreds, maybe thousands, of people, and was convicted under a law that many legal experts say shouldn't even be on the books. Yeah, I guess I'd be embarrassed about all that.

Posted by: get a life at December 5, 2005 06:40 PM

i like The Apprentice, and i think Ms. Alexis does a very fine job on the show. After all just what does her position on the show call for? Ms. Stewart does an excellant job in supporting her mother.

I have yet to listen to the sirius radio show Ms. Stewart and Ms. Hutt put out. I would like to listen, but have yet to take the time to apply for the programs. I'm very happy to see Ms. Martha Stewart back at her company and wish both ladies good luck. I'm sure with the excellant opportunities Ms. Alexis has in her life she does not need for us to wish her good luck, she already has so much. Let us hope she does much good for other less fortunate in life with her fantastic opportunities.

Posted by: pixie at December 7, 2005 06:59 PM

What you see is not always what you get - Alexis I am ashamed for you and of you. Why do you bring yourself down to that kind of level - your Mother has paid for her mistake - if you are trying to get even -don't! Morals are worth more than bank accounts anyday and someday you will realize it. Shame Shame Shame!!!!! Be kinder - life is to short!

Posted by: A Stewart In Michigan at December 14, 2005 03:11 PM

I have mixed feelings about "Whatever," Alexis Stewart's radio show. First, it's a refreshing, irreverant take on her life in N.Y. However, as a daughter myself, I could never offend nor disrespect my mum by airing 'personal' matters that might be funny to some, yet embarassing to my family or friends. I do not see the point of Alexis having her own show anyway. Why and what does she have to offer, besides some silly, salacious gossip? She simply has a show because of her mum's name. I'm surprised that I haven't seen her on the cover of some grocery store tabloid........Well, I suppose Britney has that covered for the next couple of months.

Posted by: Jean Corbellini at December 16, 2005 02:32 AM

If Alexis is interested in more experimentation, let me be the first to volunteer! I have such a crush on her!

Posted by: Suz at December 19, 2005 01:22 AM

How tall is Alexis Stewart.I know she is Tall.

Posted by: Michael at December 21, 2005 09:48 PM

You were "pleasantly surprised at how facile they were on the radio," at how simple and badly thought out they were on the radio?

Posted by: none at December 22, 2005 08:36 AM

We have not been able to listen to Alexis' and Jennifer's new show but we adore both of them and wish the well - we will be supporting you soon.

Posted by: karen kundra at December 26, 2005 11:29 AM

As do I Suz!!!!

Posted by: RachelRachel at December 30, 2005 11:44 PM

Alexis is disgraceful. She demonstrates disdain toward her mother on the Martha show and has absolutely no class. Sometimes her demeanor indicates anger toward her mother; the nut tart recipe segment on Martha was unacceptable. Her "Whatever" show would have never happened without the coattails of her mother. Revealing she is totally immoral and misguided just makes me puke. What a spoiled brat.

Posted by: Carol at January 17, 2006 07:34 PM

How tall is the girl?? Anyone?

Posted by: loraine at January 18, 2006 09:47 PM

She's 5'7 1/2" tall. 67 1/2 inches tall

Posted by: hairdresser at January 24, 2006 02:38 AM

While I am such a huge Howard Stern fan and after hearing Alexis on his show, I had to turn my sirius radio to the "Whatever" station and hear Alexis and Jennifer. I was quite pleased and will continue to tune in after the wrap-up on Howards 100.

Go Girls and have fun!! Wish I could come in and be a guest on your show...but then again, I'm no one special just a regular listener!

Best of luck to you both!

Posted by: janjan at January 24, 2006 07:02 PM

I, too, am a Stern fan and Alexis was so much fun on his show, I checked out her own. It's good to know she's a very level-headed and "normal" person considering how crazy her mother happens to be. In fact,that Whatever show is the most lively and interesting thing on that station. She seems to love and respect her mother although they don't seem to get along. It's just how it is... and, mainly because of that, I would really love to hear rumor of a "Tyrone Stewart, Jr." ;-D

Posted by: Shan at January 25, 2006 05:40 PM

I would like to like Alexis, but every time I've seen her on her mother's show I am totally put off. I agree with Carol, above, who mentioned the nut tart recipe segment on Martha - I could hardly believe how rude Alexis was to her Mom! It's not unusual to have issues with one's mother, but to air them so blatently is really embarassing for everybody. I'm sure Martha would never put up with that kind of treatment from anyone else, and I wish she wouldn't with her daughter.

I hope Alexis gets some professional help.

Posted by: Sandy at February 1, 2006 02:25 PM

Alexis is at least 5'10,'' possibly even a bit taller. I know this to be true.

Posted by: RK at February 3, 2006 03:02 PM

I recently found the "Whatever" show on Martha Stewart Radio and it's my favorite talk show. Sure, it's kind of like "radio junk food", but as the author stated in his piece, how many serious news shows can one listen to before you want a little "confectionary radio"?

I also really enjoy some of the other more "content" shows on the MSL Radio channel - especially the one where they interview female entrepreneurs. Loved the SPANX CEO interview for example.

Keep it up Sirius and bring us more of this type of entertaining radio.

Posted by: LB at February 17, 2006 02:43 PM

The "Whatever" show is a total train wreck! I can't listen anymore. If I have to hear one more story about her soon-to-be-ex boyfriend "Peety", I'll haveto scream!!!

Posted by: bboy07 at February 22, 2006 08:06 PM

the girls have a myspace page, if anyone is interested:

Posted by: DiscJock at February 26, 2006 04:11 AM

I knew it

I just knew it

Gay-dar

My friends and I swore Alexis was or could be

Ah yes

Hope she experiements more.

Posted by: Rosemarie at March 28, 2006 02:03 PM

Saw Alexis for the first time today on her mother's show. I sometimes wished I lived in that world instead of southern Pa. I would love to meet her, but that will never happen. In the end, we are all just human.

Posted by: trisha at March 30, 2006 11:08 AM

I listen. I think Jennifer is charming. And I would be the first to admit that Alexis has had a pretty tough shake in life, all things considered. But could she please, please drop the TONE? Honestly, if I want to listen to someone chronically bored and annoyed, I could talk to myself. I understand it is self-protective, but she's getting too old for it.

Posted by: G. Moore at April 13, 2006 02:43 AM

Might be a good idea to put in text which one's Lexi for those of us who've never seen her pic. So, which one is she?

Posted by: Mike at February 22, 2007 03:46 PM

I haven't heard "whatever" yet, since I don't have sirius radio yet. I really like Alexis & would like to see her more on TV.

Posted by: Carol Borden at April 12, 2007 10:46 AM

I think the show should be Jennifer Koppelman Hut with Alexis Stewart as her sidekick. Jennifer comes across as natural and sincere while Alexis is forced and cold. Jennifer is the sweetie while Alexis is sly and cunning. It's so obvious. I don't know how the talk show will take off but in my opinion, anyone could do the job. On the Martha Stewart show, Alexis was attempting to appear so knowledgeable but she flunked as far as I am concerned. She even argued with Jennifer over "poo poo poo" not being a Jewish thing??? To be politically correct it is Yiddish but same, same. Did Alexis even graduate from any school? Alexis reminds me of a snake in the grass just waiting to strike. That's my personal take. The above was written without prejudice.

Posted by: Elly at April 14, 2007 08:35 AM