Businessweek Archives

Running blog stories late in the magazine

? CBS and the Show Blogs |

Main

| Sphere: New blog search engine is promising ?

October 17, 2005

Running blog stories late in the magazine

Stephen Baker

A little nudge from Phil Gomes about running the BW article on Jeff Jarvis's tilt against Dell nine weeks after his first post.

Yes, it's true, the magazine is not entirely in sync with the blogs, and that's partly the fault of mainstream bloggers like us. We should be flagging stories from the blogworld to the mag. But too often we consider ongoing blog dramas as old news--without realizing that they're still fresh to many who don't read blogs. Last week I flagged one on a new form of blog spam. The Jarvis piece came up at a meeting when we were discussing Dell, and I mentioned off-hand that Dell was running into some interference in the blog world... Next thing you know, it's a story.

Now I'm thinking that we should be writing every week about something new popping up in the blogs, whether it's a new controversy, technology, or a new blog. Much of it won't be news to those of you reading this. But we're still a minority, aren't we?

11:24 AM

mainstream media

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Running blog stories late in the magazine:

? Bweek - Blogspotting Running blog stories late in the magazine from Churbuck.com

Running blog stories late in the magazine "But too often we consider ongoing blog dramas as old news--without realizing that they're still fresh to many who don't read blogs."So true and a good example of how an integrated publisher's online ... [Read More]

Tracked on October 17, 2005 05:25 PM

Steve-

Not clear. Writing every week for the dead tree version or the electronic version?

Pete Z.

Posted by: Pete Zievers at October 17, 2005 11:55 AM

Hi, Steve,

By way of clarification: In that post, I was indicating that I personally don't place the expectation on a business periodical that its print edition necessarily be in parallel lock-step with blogs.

What I do expect is analysis and context, and we all know that takes some time. The degree to which 1) the print operation is community-aware, 2) its online operation is community-engaged, and 3) the two operations talk meaningfully to one another, only makes the analysis richer and the result more powerful.

At that point, we're left with the argument that goes something like "Nine weeks? Why not four? Or three?" Again, to nudge on this point was not my original intent. That becomes a conversation with the publication and its readers, the beginnings of which I suppose are taking place here.

To Pete Zievers' point... I'm operating with the understanding that you were talking about the *print* edition. In that case, I'm kind of envisioning a column in the Herb Caen "three-dot" mold.

Posted by: Phil Gomes at October 17, 2005 01:48 PM

I think the BW blogs are doing a good job of noting very current hot stuff. But I wonder if BW print might perform a different job. It takes blog repetition, comments and re-writes to really form the next new thing - and maybe only after the idea has ben kicked around a bit, is it good to write about it in a longer more mainstream fashion. And to cull out what people who don't live on the electronet would even care in the slightest about.

Posted by: dg at October 17, 2005 02:13 PM

Pete, I'm thinking of the paper edition. People reading online are probably quite a bit closer to the blogs. Phil, good question about the Why not four? Why not three? As I say, I didn't bring up the Jarvis news as a story pitch, but as a point worth mentioning in another Dell story. If I had my magazine head screwed on right last summer, I would have pitched that story much sooner. But I too often have tended to treat the blog world with one hand and the magazine with the other.

Posted by: steve baker at October 17, 2005 02:13 PM

You should tell them about how the Indian blogosphere has run into an MBA college and the Indian MSM acknowledges this wholeheartedly...

Also check Instapundit's post on this

regards

Gautam

Posted by: Gautam at October 18, 2005 05:37 AM

American Apparel's Future
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters