Businessweek Archives

Blogs and popups

? How corporations track the blogs: A blogger weighs in |

Main

| Wiki proposal: Cell phone directory ?

July 26, 2005

Blogs and popups

Heather Green

So, I have, umm, been noticing a lot of popups on blogs these days. Are other people noticing the same thing and does it dissuade you from visiting a blog?

01:55 PM

advertising

TrackBack URL for this entry:

visiting a blog? I almost exclusively read blogs in an aggregator.

on a related topic, I have been so annoyed by blogspotting's partial content feeds that I am going to unsubscribe. Give the people full text feeds.

Posted by: Jackson at July 26, 2005 02:11 PM

Actually, funny that you mention pop-ups... I am on the verge of being driven from the BusinessWeek site because of the pop-ups and redirects that grab me on every visit to the site.

Posted by: Mark Smith at July 26, 2005 02:26 PM

here here. It sucks to get blasted by big-ads.

Posted by: jim wilde at July 26, 2005 03:30 PM

You guys have a super popup that beats my popup blocker every time! Can't you turn it off?

Posted by: Frances Flynn Thorsen at July 26, 2005 04:34 PM

Yes, and your popups are the worst!!!!!

Posted by: Doug Skoglund at July 27, 2005 01:17 AM

Only here on BusinessWeek. Firefox supresses it though.

Generally speaking, these don't happen if reading in RSS. This is one of the fringe benefits of syndication.

At the end of the day, those that annoy with advertising will lose readership. I liken it to having a freind that you like to talk with - then they start selling Amway.

Posted by: Matt Galloway at July 27, 2005 02:37 AM

Hmm. I've only noticed pop-up ads here on the BW blog. And my pop-up blocker doesn't suppress it. It's really annoying to have to close the ad window in order to read the blog. Keep the ads in the side-bars, please. Or,like Fast Company, place them between the blog post and the comments section.

Posted by: Paughnee at July 27, 2005 10:43 AM

Heather,

I don't know why you opened that can of worms. But popup's and redirects are VERY annoying. I keep coming back because Business Week is where I learned of Blogs For Business. But I do say just the slightest little swear word when I have to put up with your popups and now re-directs.

David Porter

Posted by: David Porter at July 27, 2005 10:57 AM

All hail the almighty FireFox! I haven't had a single popup in, well, never. I'm an extremely avid web user, and FireFox definitely fills the gaping hole left by Internet Explorer. Yes, IE has made an *attempt* at a pop-up blocker, but its effect is pitiful at most.

Get FireFox and get rid of pop-ups.

Posted by: Jeff S. at July 28, 2005 10:59 AM

Heather-

That's a tough question for me because I have Firefox. But, it would take a lot of popups before I'd abandon a blog I got something out of. I understand how frustrated people get, though. I installed Firefox in part because popups drive me nuts.

Pete Z.

Posted by: Pete Zievers at July 28, 2005 12:18 PM

I appreciate any blog's real need to make a dollar, and pop-ups at least get out of the way and don't impact the blog's design, which can devote itself to serving the reader and not the advertiser. However, there is ofetn no understanding of what happens at the other end. Some pop-ups cascade interminably and adversely impact the readers' time. Some emit unwanted sounds. Some even crash the browser.

If you simply ask what people think of pop-ups they will tell you they hate them (and they will say 'get Firefox'). People hate the blow-out cards in magazines as well, but that has not stopped their proliferation.

Besides the problems I mentioned earlier with truly abusive variations of the animal, the biggest problem with internet pop-ups is that, as of yet, no appropriate method of revenge is known.

Posted by: Mr. Snitch! at July 29, 2005 11:31 PM

i have pop ups on my blog. how do i get rid of them????

www.insidestephen.blogspot.com

please help

Posted by: stephen at October 19, 2005 11:25 PM

I have just found a way of blocking pop-ups without changing your browser. Just get yourself a Google Toolbar and it will take care of the annoying stuff. Mine says '1190 blocked'! To download your Google toolbar, go to http://toolbar.google.com/

Posted by: Luv Sayal at November 19, 2005 07:34 AM

THERE ARE NO POP-UPS!!!

Posted by: JOSH at December 21, 2005 02:39 PM

hi, guys!

i know you are looking for a powerful popup blocker , go http://www.yaodownload.com/utilites/antivirus/privacy-defender/

Posted by: tom at April 16, 2006 10:13 PM