Small businesses are accustomed to coming together and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. As more and more small businesses work to become energy smart and preserve natural resources, looking to their employee base to help implement change is an obvious starting place.
Here are several ways you can get every employee to help make your small business greener:
1. Have them turn off their computers when they’re not in use.
2. Ask them to set their computer monitors to low-power mode after 10 minutes of non-use.
3. Encourage them to turn off the lights and office appliances when they are not needed.
4. Have them wear comfortable, seasonal clothing appropriate for changes in building temperature.
5. Ask them to share other energy savings ideas with their co-workers.
Vice-President for Environment, Health, and Safety
Want to improve the way you run your business? Entrepreneurs, academics, and consultants from diverse industries offer practical advice on a variety of topics each business day.
To submit a tip for consideration, first check our archive of previous tips to make sure you're not repeating a tip someone has already contributed. Then send the tip to Small Business channel contributor Michelle Dammon Loyalka. Because of the volume of material she receives, she may not respond to each individual.