Former Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, who resigned last year and was convicted of fraud by a Milan court in October, said he is being pressed to run for premier to save the country from recession.
“I am assailed by requests from my people to announce as quickly as possible my descent, once again, onto the field” to lead his People of Liberty party in next year’s general election, Berlusconi said today in an e-mailed statement. “I can’t allow my country to precipitate in a recessive spiral without end. We can’t go on like this.”
Berlusconi, who is appealing the fraud conviction, said he will make a decision about a possible run in the next few days. On Oct. 24, the 76-year-old billionaire media magnate said he was taking a step back from politics and wouldn’t run for premier.
To contact the reporter on this story: Andrew Frye in Rome at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: James Hertling at firstname.lastname@example.org