The Economic Observer, a weekly newspaper in Beijing, retracted and issued a public apology for a June 16 story that claimed the Railway Ministry may lose control of some functions.
The apology, dated June 19 and published on the front page of today’s newspaper, said the story was “not in line with facts,” and was based on “the views of experts and online bulletin board information.” It said the reporter who wrote the story never contacted the ministry for comment.
The article, published last week, said the ministry may lose control of investment, construction and railway operations. It said the ministry would establish and inject assets into three new companies, which would be overseen by the State-Owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission. The story cited railway officials, executives at state-owned enterprises and sources in “relevant ministries.”
To contact Bloomberg News staff for this story: Xin Zhou in Beijing at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Paul Panckhurst at firstname.lastname@example.org