Bloomberg News

Wynn Resorts Retracts Regulatory Filing on Macau Project

March 02, 2012

Signage for the Wynn Macau, owned by Wynn Resorts Ltd., is illuminated in Macau, China. Photographer: Jerome Favre/Bloomberg

Signage for the Wynn Macau, owned by Wynn Resorts Ltd., is illuminated in Macau, China. Photographer: Jerome Favre/Bloomberg

Wynn Resorts Ltd. (WYNN) retracted a filing suggesting the company completed a land concession contract on its proposed resort and casino in the Cotai area of Macau, China. The shares advanced.

Wynn Resorts rose 4.3 percent to $127.27 at the close in New York, and is up 15 percent this year. Trading was halted at 10:18 a.m. New York time and resumed at 11:55 a.m.

The 8-K filing by Wynn, the Las Vegas-based operator of its namesake and Encore casinos, incorrectly said a land concession contract first reported in September was published in the official Gazette of Macau last month, which would mark the official start of the agreement.

“The filing was not authorized by the company,” Wynn said in an amended statement. “The purpose of this filing is to retract the Land Concession 8-K in its entirety.”

A clerk at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP inadvertently made the filing, according to a statement from the New York-based law firm, which apologized for the mistake.

Macau is the world’s largest gambling market, and the only place in China where casinos are permitted. The Cotai area has become the focus of recent expansion. Las Vegas Sands Corp. (LVS) will open its third casino-hotel on Cotai in April. Hong Kong tycoon Francis Lui’s Galaxy Resorts opened there in May.

To contact the reporter on this story: Christopher Palmeri in Los Angeles at cpalmeri1@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Palazzo at apalazzo@bloomberg.net


Cash Is for Losers
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW
 
blog comments powered by Disqus