(Updates with 5 p.m. decision in second paragraph.)
Nov. 15 (Bloomberg) -- New York City should be allowed to prohibit Occupy Wall Street protesters from camping out in a Lower Manhattan park to prevent a “substantial threat to public safety,” a city official said.
Cas Holloway, the city’s deputy mayor for operations, urged a New York judge not to extend a court order issued today that blocks the eviction of protesters from Zuccotti Park, according to a filing provided by the city. New York State Supreme Court Justice Michael Stallman in Manhattan is to rule before 5 p.m., according to his chambers.
“The unsafe and unsanitary conditions and the substantial threat to public safety as determined by the police and fire departments” will return if the protesters take over the park as before, Holloway said in the filing. The document couldn’t immediately be verified in court records.
New York City police pushed into the park early today to remove demonstrators who had been camping there for more than eight weeks to protest inequality of wealth, unemployment and the financial industry.
The protesters have sued the city, Mayor Michael Bloomberg and the New York City Police Department. The mayor is founder and majority owner of Bloomberg News parent Bloomberg LP.
The case is In the Matter of the Application of Jennifer Waller v. City of New York, 11112957, New York State Supreme Court, New York County (Manhattan).
--Editors: Peter Blumberg, Charles Carter
To contact the reporters on this story: David McLaughlin in New York at email@example.com; Chris Dolmetsch in New York at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Hytha at email@example.com.