Why Claudia Kotchka Is Leaving Procter & Gamble.

Posted by: Bruce Nussbaum on May 23, 2008

I just talked with Claudia Kotchka at a book party in Chicago for Roger Martin and his great book on integrative thinking, The Opposable Mind.

Claudia says she is leaving P&G because she’s been at her job—of inculcating design thinking into the corporate culture—for seven years and she wants to do other things. Seven years is longer than she’s held any other job.

What other things? Claudia is not sure. She’s got an open mind.

So one of the most important design managers on the planet is now available for work. Got anything challenging for her?

Kristina Goodrich

May 23, 2008 4:47 PM

I'm sure she will be chased after by many companies, but she could have the most widespread impact if she moves into writing and education. In these endeavors she can have enduring impact on a large canvas. I hope she chooses that route for the benefit of everyone.

Snoz

May 23, 2008 4:49 PM

Please have Claudia replace GM CEO of design, Mr. Wellborn, who decided the Aztek was so wonderful. While not as repulsive as Astek, the Malibu design can benefit from fresh thinkers, such as Claudia. What the ailing GM needs is a Woman who will break the old-boys-network mode of thinking; who is a 1st class Designer instead of 3rd rated actor; is a fresh thinker instead of a member of the calcified fuddy-duddies; and as an Outsider is not burden with corporate status quo.

David Malouf

May 23, 2008 5:06 PM

How about Motorola Mobile Devices? Or better something about government policy?

sherry snodgrass

May 24, 2008 4:23 AM

Dear Claudia, My name is Sherry Snodgrass. I believe you are the one that I contacted a few year's ago about an invention I have. If you leave, I don't know how I will be able to get my idea sold? If you are the one I contacted, you told me that if I got my idea patented, that you would be interested. What will I do know? If you are the one that I contacted, please let me know and what I should do? I would really apreciate it.! Sincerely, Sherry Snodgrass

brendan Tully

May 25, 2008 5:00 AM

Look- who are you to think that you can just leave your job when corporate America needs you most. We are screwed. This will be the longest and deepest recession on record. The dollar is in the toilet. There is no national leadership. The only harbor in this storm is the corporation. And P&G has quite the reputation. Why don't you take a sabbatical instead? Talk to the head HR guy. We need creative, out-of-the box thinkers now more than ever. More than ever. Think twice Claudia.

Rich

May 27, 2008 2:10 PM

Hi Claudia,

I am currently enrolled in Suffolk University’s EMBA program. The innovation and design concentration is always looking to learn from industry leaders with strong innovative minds such as yours. We meet every Saturday and would love to have you spend a few hours discussing your experiences.

Rich Picard
Suffolk University EMBA Student

Steve Mann

May 27, 2008 8:31 PM

Bruce - SAP is on the lookout for keen design thinkers and we have some board sponsored initiatives which may interest her. Please have her contact me at her convenience.

Regards,
Steve Mann

Rich Simms

May 27, 2008 10:00 PM

Claudia, Great presentation in Chicago, lots of great takeaways, we could use your insights at Boeing.

Regards in your new opportunities.

Rich Simms

livinginthebox

May 28, 2008 2:50 AM

Is it possible that she is leaving out of frustration? Not knowing that there was such a well-thought-of person at the helm, I recently blogged about the lack of design leadership at P&G:
Unreadable labels and poor use of language in naming products are both design issues. It defies logic that a respected marketer such as P&G would name a product "fortifying fortifier."

Andy B

May 28, 2008 2:24 PM

Who cares ????

Ed

May 28, 2008 10:41 PM

Who?

nabil

September 24, 2008 10:03 PM

Hello

i am french phd student in design managment i would like to meet claudia kotchka does anyone knows direct way to get in touch with her
thanks in advance