Dog Bites Man. China Blocks YouTube

Posted by: Bruce Einhorn on March 24, 2009

Google has confirmed that YouTube once again is down in China, apparently a victim of Chinese censorship. The video-sharing service is a favorite target of China’s censors; see this Eye on Asia blog from 2007 about an earlier incident. According to this analysis in TelecomAsia, YouTube probably got in trouble this time for a clip from the Tibetan government in exile. I just spoke with John Pinette, the company’s Hong Kong-based spokesman. “We’re looking into it and hoping service is restored,” he says. The company won’t comment further.

DistortionAgain

March 25, 2009 8:58 PM

I fully supported Chinese act if it is done by Chinese government. If the western media stopping their biased, agenda-hidden, and distortions, there won't be media censorship. If there weren's those fake videos in YouTube, there wouldn't have been this blockage. In fact, YouTube and Internet are the warmbed for the fake video and news that just have one aim--tarnishing China

Better in US

March 26, 2009 1:44 AM

And you don't think China has a biased, agenda-hidden, and distortions among there media? What world are you living in?

I guess all of those deaths from baby formula and toy products are just made up to tarnish China?

What a joke. Both countries do it in order to protect their interest. The big difference is that the United States allows freedom of speech and one can contest it in courts. In China, you have no say.

John Hunter

March 26, 2009 1:48 AM

What a funny, distorted, and comically rendered bit of propoganda the last comment is. Despite all the business deals, and raised glasses at dinner parties, the Chinese government makes itself a laughing stock when it reacts like this. Wake up folks...the same mentality that eventuated Tianamin square is still at work in the PRC.

Mike

March 26, 2009 8:48 AM

Free Tibet.

nilaolao

March 26, 2009 9:38 AM

If you have the freedom to distort the truth, mislead your audience, I have the freedom to shut you up in China. It is a two way street.

三人成虎

March 26, 2009 12:15 PM

I always don't believe what the the western media say about china,at most I take it with a grain of salt

LookUp

March 26, 2009 2:17 PM

I just pray that you all people have the wisdom to determine right from wrong.

DistortionAgain

March 26, 2009 8:47 PM

In the west, people generally believe that the press and media are free. Are they? It is not me, all people like me who understand multiple languages and have access to all news resources agree with me that western media are "in effect" censored through self censorship---They just don't report much about other countries' views. In reality, how many in the west understand Chinese, while almost all college educated Chinese undersands English? It is like in the court of law, you need to hear both sides of stories, plus hard evidence to back you up to make a 'true' case.

tom

March 26, 2009 11:53 PM

Well said!. Distortion again,
I used to trust the West media when I ws young. Turn out that The West just demonize any country whom is against the interest to their own home land.

Nguyen

April 3, 2009 4:29 AM

If protests are in China, that would be a big and good news for some pathetic westerners who are brainwashed to believe that their system are the best in the world and they are "developed", .ie. no need to improve. Nowadays, protest are all over Europe and your goverments police arrested hundreds of people. Why no any article and comment about those protests and rude act of police against demonstrators. I used to believe western propaganda that Soviet Union killed millions of their citizens under Stalin regime, but no longer when I heard that China also killed millions under Mao regime, killed millions in Xizhang (tibet) etc. Where were that millions after millions, when ethnic Tibet population may be only around 2 millions. Your western press are much less reliable than Chinese press, now I believe.