Wal-Mart Hate

Posted by: Nanette Byrnes on April 2, 2009

Tim Manners has an interesting blog up noting that a recent survey of his readers found a third of them never shop at Wal-Mart.

This is interesting because Tim describes his readers as “approximately 3,000 senior-level, client-side executives in Fortune 1000 marketing departments and top management of major advertising, promotion, direct and marketing-services agencies.”

Yes that’s right, marketing executives and the people who create their ad copy don’t shop at the store that probably sells more of the stuff they’re hawking than anyplace.

It’s very odd, as Manners notes. Well he calls it “intriguing”. Odd is my word.

What do you think?

MissPinkKate

April 2, 2009 5:28 PM

I think that it should be taken into account that New York City, which I'm going to guess is the home of many of those people, does not have a Wal-Mart.

Adam Schorr

April 3, 2009 1:24 AM

You cannot rely on what people say about themselves. Wal-Mart data suggests that pretty much the entire country shops at its stores. This "survey" sounded to me like a bunch of disgruntled angry Wal-Mart haters trying to score points. This survey does not reflect data about who shops at Wal-Mart.

And yeah, I sound like a WM shill. I'm not. I'm not a big fan of theirs. But their numbers don't lie.

Russell

April 3, 2009 12:39 PM

I think you may find that most people, more and more, if they can afford to not go to Walmart, they aren't going to go. People can only not be treated as people for so long. It appears that Walmart has a few stores that they are actually more customer focused, but categorically, that doesn't seem to be the case. And that simply won't work forever.

HKim

April 3, 2009 6:46 PM

I'm thinking: How many "senior-level, client-side executives in Fortune 1000 marketing departments and top management of major advertising, promotion, direct and marketing-services agencies" need to discount shop?

Alice

April 4, 2009 5:59 AM

I cannot afford Wal Mart. They suckered the American people and now look where we are...more and more jobs going over seas, they promote low wages and poor treatment of their work force. You cannot afford Wal Mart either. Plus I've found I save a LOT of money by shopping around.

also their corporate people make multi-millions in salary while the employees struggle in poverty. No thank you to that.

Barbara D Holtzman

April 6, 2009 10:12 AM

I have not time for eople who make comments like "Wal Mart... suckered the American people and now look where we are...more and more jobs going over seas, they promote low wages and poor treatment of their work force..." Walmart gives more jobs to people who would otherwise never be able to find a job, and yeah, maybe you are still the working poor at Walmart, but it ain't welfare. Walmart has also done a 180 on health and other benefits - do some research. You can't outsource in-person service jobs! Compare items in Macy's, food in your local chain grocer, item for item, and you'll see much of the same stuff in Walmart, just cheaper. Target is much the same, by the way. without as much bad press - could be they learned from Walmart's mistakes. As for "People can only not be treated as people for so long." I've been treated like crap at fancy places, and been treated nicely at Walmarts - the difference is not the store's brand name, but the actual people in it, which no employer has much control over. In fact, I expect better service at Macy's than at Walmart, because of preception and price but I rarely get it, and while you can get someone fired by complaining, they are replaced with another under trained and underpaid worker (they don't pay so much more than Walmart, by the way), Why pay more for toilet paper somewhere else, just because you can?

Thomas

April 6, 2009 11:07 AM

Barbara --

Why doesn't the largest, wealthiest retailer in the world not pay its employees so they are not working poor? Wouldn't that be even better than welfare?

NickP

April 6, 2009 12:32 PM

AMAZING the misconceptions vs. facts. Studies have shown that walmart has destroyed 3-4 jobs for every lower paying one they have created. Gov't study shows that the typical walmart costs the taxpayers in the Town it is on over $421,000 PER YEAR!. Studies show savings at walmart about 3% WITHOUT factoring in taxpayer subsidies. Local newspaper shop showed walmart to be cheaper only 30% of the time(like those odds?). Local TV station found theor registers over-charging at Christmas. Still have folks who think that their slogan is Always the low price, which was dropped when the FTC started moving in years ago. Surprised that the FTC has not moved in on them with their latest false claim of "unbeatable" prices. Need to start reading and get educated. Visist Amazon and find studies like "The Hometown Advantage" etc. that provide facts instead of uneducated myths and uninformed "savings".

barbara

April 6, 2009 12:37 PM

Walmart pays the same as Target so why do people single out Walmart on pay? I shop Walmart every week and sometimes twice. I find the prices are great and the people who work there are pleasant. There are some that I doubt could find a job someplace else because of disabilities. I personally think Walmart does more for people with disabilities than any other company in the U. S. Frankly, I like shopping with a company that gives those people jobs. One greeter had no arms or legs. Where do you suppose that person could get a job? Thank God for Walmart!

Brad

April 6, 2009 3:59 PM

The numbers don't lie; people (and those who manipulate numbers) do. Wal-Mart and McDonald's were among the VERY few stocks that gained in 2008. Somebody is buying from them, because they are satisfying projections and shareholders, but no one wants to admit it.

Conversely, when surveyed after the JFK assassination, over 60% claimed to have voted for him, when in reality, it was a much closer vote. You cannot trust what people say.

John

April 6, 2009 4:25 PM

I would question the source. The HUB Magazine is not really a credible magazine. I would be careful taking anything he says seriously.

Nanette

April 7, 2009 6:25 PM

Great discussion.
By my count, the potential reasons marketing types do not shop at the largest retailer in the world include:
geography (one vote)
lying/self deception (two votes)
poor customer service (one vote)
wealth (one vote)
bad data (one vote)
Any more?

Kris

April 8, 2009 12:48 AM

To: Barbara D Holtzman

In regards to your comment "Walmart gives more jobs to people who would otherwise never be able to find a job" I am absolutely sure you didn't mean that to be condescending, but that's how it comes across to me. Please don't take offence. The disabled are often prefered by unscrupulous employers for the simple fact that they are easily manipulated, abused, overworked, and just as often unable or unaware of how to stand up for themselves. While the numbers of disabled they employ is impressive, reason would prompt caution before making value judgements of Walmart's motives when their first and main objective isn't the public good, but increased revenue. They can be said to be profiting from the employment of the disabled by the extraordinary free PR they accumulate by doing so. Just a thought.