Its Official. Chrysler Will Build VW's Bus

Posted by: David Kiley on January 05, 2006

microbus2.jpg

After kicking around the mill for a few months, Volkswagen confirmed today that Chrysler will build VW a minivan it can sell for around $30,000 off Chrysler’s successful Caravan/Town & Country model.

VW has been stymied for some time in the van category, because the Microbus (pictured above) concept it showed a few years back at the Detroit Auto Show could not be built for less than $35,000, and some say more because of the weakeneing U.S. dollar. Too expensive for a minivan, even a redo of the legendary Microbus.

The van VW gets from Chrysler will probably not be called the Microbus, nor is it likely to have the stow-n-go seating design Chrysler has in the current van. Indeed, it will be a challenge for VW to make the Chrysler van feel like a real Volkswagen. But the executive who is championing the project, Wolfgang Bernhard, is probably best equipped to make it happen. Before taking over as head of the VW brand worldwide, he was COO of Chrysler Group and oversaw the makeover of the Chrysler van to include the unique seating system.

Chrysler will introduce a redesign of its minivan in 2007 for the 2008 model year, a redesign project Bernhard had a lot to do with before leaving Chrysler last year. The VW van will be based on that redesign.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

John Duck

January 31, 2006 09:12 AM

How can Volkswagen, one of the most successful auto makers in the world (due to the air-cooled line-up), even think up such an ignorant idea?!? The very same company that took an under-powered box-on-wheels and made it into a 1960's American icon and workhorse of the world, is going to give the honor of recreating the Microbus to Chrysler? That just disgusts me! I am the Proud owner of a 1967 13-window Deluxe Bus, a 1964 SO-23 sub-hatch Westfalia Camper Bus, a 1963 ragtop Beetle, and a 1973 Beetle, plus a sandrail built using a VW engine & parts, and I can tell you right now that if Volkswagen gives this honor away, I won't be purchasing one. There are many people in the Volkswagen community that feel the same way. I will not drive a Chrysler minivan. I love Volkswagen and I am willing to pay a premium for their quality product. I have owned a Jetta (98 TDi) and regret selling it. I would love to purchase any vehicle out of Volkswagen's new line-up, but only if VW made it.

Charles

February 6, 2006 11:28 AM

It will never have the charm of the orginal 1960's Micro Bus. Or be as slow. Allowing driver and passeners to able count the number fence posts as they slowly go by. I once counted over 5000 fence posts A new record for me.

Curtis

March 6, 2006 09:35 PM

VW has forgotten where it came from. The Phaeton and Lamborgini have no more to do with VW than pickles and ice cream. If VW cannot make the "world's most popular van" viable in the US, they simply are not trying. Remember, VW stood for imenently practical, affordable and dependable (for the time) vehicles.

Chris Parker

March 13, 2006 04:21 AM

It seems kind of an odd having an American auto company produce a legendary German vehicle. As I remember, the Dodge vans of the 60s had the funky split windshields like the classic VW vans.So maybe Chrysler is onto something here. The new VW van isn't going to sell if it's just like a Dodge mini van. It's going to have to have an identity , to set it apart from others.How about a rear seat that folds into a bed for camping,. A removable table that sits between front swiveling seats and middle seats would be cool.

Chris Parker

March 13, 2006 04:23 AM

Ron Fields

March 23, 2006 07:55 AM

Personnaly I know how many people feel about combining brands of cars and I am not really for it either... but for me I will be a quick buyer of a Caravan based vehicle with a diesel engine. They have made Caravan and Voyagers in Europe with diesels in them and at 44 mpg.. I am impressed... I have been asking Dodge for a diesel van for a couple of years now.. so maybe I will get it.. As far as all of you being upset about the combo... I have always felt people and magazines were far to critical of Chrysler engineering and still do to this day... well I have well over 2 million miles of trouble free service with all my Chrysler, Dodges and Plymouths over the years and many were over the 200,000 mile mark (347,000 on my slant 6 Valiant) and only one major repair (Caravan Trans A604) in 44 years of driving Chrysler products... 2 Volkswagens in the family, a Rabbit (oil burner)and a Fox (electrical problems) proved to be very unreliable vehicles.. so there is good and bad in all of them... I have also had a few GM & Ford products that had there share of problems also. Tachnology?? I would just as soon go back to the 60's and have my Slant 6 Dodge Dart with the only upgrades.... fuel injection, rack and pinion, disc brakes and radials.... now that would be a real car....

Paul Buck

April 27, 2006 07:03 PM

Finally! Hopefully the only thing it will have in common with the Chrysler is the factory & the Chassis. If it handle like a VW I'll buy one. If it has sloppy suspension like most US cars, forget it! Especially if it has Durago's Ball Joints. Maybe they'll put a Mercedes Diesel in it, or a good size Audi TDI.

the allrights

May 11, 2006 12:25 AM

We own a 1970 Westfalia Camper Bus, fully restored, and we LOVE it. I am hoping they come out with a BRAND NEW VW DESIGNED AND MADE CAMPER BUS. I would pay $40,000, easy for this. We are not the best mechanics, and we live in the desert part of CA, so it would be cool for us to take our longer/summer trips in a brand new bus. The 1970 we tool to the beach, and we want to keep it, of course. Come on, VW.

TDI Lover

June 2, 2006 03:33 PM

Wow, it's like a dream come true for me. I work for Chrysler, but drive a TDI Jetta for the handling and 50MPG. I also can remember riding around and camping out in my parents VW Microbus. This has the potential to be a great marriage. Chrysler builds a great minivan, and with a diesel engine getting better mileage, my kids won't have to be stuffed into the backseat of the Jetta anymore. I'll be first in line for one of these!

Cody

June 23, 2006 12:02 PM

It's not about VW recreating the "legendar bus". This won't even look anything like "legendery bus" The only reason VW is making this vehicle is for North American competition. VW already has a whole line of Minivans, vans, busses and cargo vehicles in Europe... Look at volkswagen.de and check out their lineup. VW did not attack this project trying to recreate the "legendary bus". There is no way VW could ever recreate the spirit of those cars. Everyone who is bickering and whining that Chrysler is making them needs to seriously find something productive to do with your time other than attacking VW for making a very smart business decision. These vans, though made by Chrysler will still have a lot of VW DNA... Including turbo diesels, vw styling and very very nice interiors to come.... You seriously think VW would take a Chrysler town and country, put their badge on the front and call it a VW? The answer is no. VW realizes what this decision may have done to the hardcore enthusiasts, but the van will still have a lot of VW exclusive characteristics.... try finding a turbo diesel Chrysler van in North America. Tisk tisk...

Zoli

July 2, 2006 02:20 AM

I think that this is a big mistake !!!
The people that want a VW, want a VW ,NOT a Chrysler.
I have owned a couple of Chrysler cars and vans and
the quality does not compare . I WILL NOT BUY IT !!!!
I will just keep my 2002 vw Eurovan.

Jeri Boliek

July 2, 2006 12:15 PM

Let's just hope Chrysler knows how to build Farfegnugen(sp?) The main reason to own a VW is the fun of driving them. I love the way they handle. I had a 1970 VW camper van long ago and it is still my favorite car. I also had a bug and a fantastic Jetta GLI. I currently have a Dodge Caravan. It's okay, great car for the money, but so so for driving. I have been watching the progress of this new bus with excitement, but now am worried it won't be any fun to drive. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

eve sojourner

July 11, 2006 01:34 PM

As long as it looks just like the concept VW bus and functions as well as my VW Turbo Diesel Bug, I don't care who makes it, just get it out. I have been waiting for this one for a long time. I'm so excited that the end is in site. I hope it is offered with a diesel engine. My bug gets such awesome milage and low end torque using bio-diesel. I know this van will be a hit! I don't think I would get a first edition just because it'll probably take Chrystler a while to perfect the VW system. But I'm definately on the list for the second or third round...

VW

July 13, 2006 06:54 AM

I am a great fan of the VW busses created over the years ...

However, I would have preferred that VW would produce this in-house as I doubt that Chrysler is indeed aware of the "VW DNA".

I would not buy one if it is not produced by VW.

regards

Allen

August 12, 2006 04:56 PM

Reading the remarks posted from so many other people about how much VW blew it by placing Chrysler in charge of such a fun project, the only other thing I have to add is simple. Chrysler, If you want to sell ANY reasonable number of these and save your shareholders from loosing loads of money, listen to what we are saying. We don't want to drive a Chrysler with a VW badge on it. We want a FUN TO DRIVE and BUILT TO LAST revision of what we all fell in love with all those years ago.

Garrett

August 12, 2006 05:18 PM

Please put some windows on this thing! The half height window trend made popular by the origional Hummer is rediculous on a vehicle engineered to pay honor to the origional VW Bus. Letting the light in, looking at the scenery, and relishing the beauty of a roadtrip is what this rig was all about! Please don't ruin such a graeat opportunity by following a foolish trend.

PETER TILLY

August 15, 2006 12:38 AM

i've had chryslers for 30 yrs great cars and minivans..always got 200.000 kms with minor repairs and cheap to repair!!!!pete

Herault

August 15, 2006 07:06 AM

Amazing that Volkswagen have such a dedicated following in North America that feels so protective of the new VW microbus. Anyone would think that CHRYSLER was an alien invader ready to redesign Volkswagens into Pintos and Pacers. In fact Volkswagen AG may use CHRYSLER for more projects because the Mexican operation has limits. If the US manufacturers continue to cut production VW may see an opportunity to expand their DaimlerChrysler connection.

Scott

August 18, 2006 12:09 PM

Come on guys, let's not get upset about a German automobile being built by a German owned company. If I can get over an American icon being owned by a German company, then you can get over a van.... err, I mean a bus being built here in our country. It's just a worldly possession, not a child. Don't make me list all the great American autos throughout our history.

Fill

August 18, 2006 09:32 PM

I'm quite happy for them to renew the VW bus. Tho i do agree with everybody that building it with Chrysler would be a bad idea... but if it keeps the prices down.. who cares?! The only thing that i hope they do copy from the microbus or vanagons would be the rear engines... not like the Eurovans... I wonder how they'd pull that out with a caravan?

Scott Woods

August 20, 2006 12:56 AM

VW needs to ask themselves what really sells. They once built cars that were simple, affordable, and unique. This was a good strategy. I own a T4. It's COMPLICATED, EXPENSIVE, and unique. The later, mostly because very few Americans bought them. The Eurovan didn't make any new VW fans. Can't somebody (preferably VW) produce a line of automobiles that we can work on, pay for, and enjoy.

L Frye

August 28, 2006 08:04 PM

I don't have much faith in the design choices that VW has made recently. After all look what they have done to the new Beetle. It's sharp and has edges. Frankly It is one ugly bug, VW has a long history of not really listening to the people who love their product. All I can say is there is no other vehicle currently on the road, that is represented by so many vintage vehicles lovingly restored or not. The people who love VW's, LOVE VW'S we want our VW's to represent. Beetles should be round and pleasant not aggresive and a VW minibus/van should be fun and family friendly. If they manage to give us an updated version of the VW bus thats somewhat true to it's roots, I'll buy 2.
Proud owner of 1958,1965,2004 turbo convertable and past owner of a 72 westy poptop.

A. Rowland

October 3, 2006 12:38 PM

ABSURD! Thats what this is! The VW van was an icon of a generation, and rightfully so. VW is a great maker of automoblies, but obviously has forgotten of how great they are. I would have never let Chrysler be the one, although there shouldnt be one at all, of recreating the legendary VW bus. Although its may be lucritive for both companies, its an insult to everyone who owns an orginal bus.

Joshua

October 8, 2006 03:29 PM

I personally think that this van is nothing like its roots and i also think that as a vw it should be powered by vw not chryseler. believe me i drive a dodge stratus and i would trade it for a restored vw any day. the old vws are cool and we have a lot of old vans and a couple of old bugs. i would have one of those classic hippie vans restored before i bought a new one. the new ones are just not the same. and i plan to save up my money sell my dodge and buy a restored bug soon.

Jerry Houser

October 8, 2006 10:36 PM

I've owned Jetta's '86, '91 and now, a '03. All fine cars except for an electrical problem in the '91. I got 375,000 miles on the '86 with original clutch and no engine work. I also own a '92 Voyager. Except for "standard" oil leak, a very nice car. As one writer wrote, VW indeed has a whole line of such vehicles in Germany; why not just export one of those to the U.S.A. I'll check out the new vehicle but no promises at this point.

Jeff

October 17, 2006 01:57 PM

I don't care for the idea but if it is VW designed (with the exception of the chasis) and they keep their eye on what a bus is about, I'd probably buy. Chrysler is German now anyway. If they base it on the Micro Bus concept they showed at the auto shows I think they need to reconsider a few things. VW bus owners like versatility, simplicity, and camping. Sure it can have modern conveniences but lose the Video game ports and monitors in the seats, get rid of the camera for a rear view mirror, and make this thing as flexible as possible - think Honda Element versatility done by the company that does it best - VW. I also agree with whoever said it should have a rear placed engine - while your at it give the damn thing Round headlights like a real VW bus. Think camping, road trips, pop tops, etc. If they do people will eat it up. Someone mentioned the New Beetle - well look at what that inspired - those things are everywhere, and while they aren't quite as sweet as the original I think VW did a pretty good job with that. They'll never recapture the past but they can certainly start something new in the same spirit. There is a large part of the American population that is starving for something like this and the Eurovan certainly didn't cut it.

Elzy Lindsey

October 18, 2006 08:19 PM

Please Automakers!
I'm about to have my 3rd kid. I've made it to 41 without having to own a minivan. But when #3 comes, I'll have to bite the bullet. Look at the old Chevy vans (some had fins!) those cool "wanna-be VW" dodge vans, and, i think i remember a ford mini, as well....
Here's what I want (American consumer - middle class - trying to hold onto some kind of coolness)
- a cool minivan...
there, I said it. Must the terms be mutually exclusive. I think not. Every carmaker in this country ought to realize that we lost our cool and the Europeans and Japanese, now Koreans came and took the market share.
Big boys wanna survive?
Listen to what folks want and build it.
I want a 7 passenger vehicle with room for cargo and features for camping. I want it to burn clean fuel. I want cool colors and design - the VW concept bus can be pulled off for 25K if Scion can build cars for 12K.
Build me the oxymoronic 'cool minivan'
LZ

Richard R. Siegel, Ed. D.

October 19, 2006 07:39 AM

As a champion of the VW Bus, since owning my first since 1972, I was delighted when they finally got it right again with the Eurovan model. I bought a 2003, the final year they were being brought into the USA. To hear that they are going to bring it back is good news. If it comes back as the camper or at least pop top, great. Otherwise, forget it, we don't need another SUV look-a-like. The quality of my Eurovan is outstanding. PS. I bought the NEW Beetle after owning several also in the 60's. Would I buy a VW Bus made by Chrysler- NO.

big vic

October 22, 2006 06:04 PM

Irony: 1949 VW creates the origional micro-bus...
1950 it starts production...
19?? american companies make knockoffs of Vw's design...
198? chrysler claims to have invented the first mini-van...
200? Vw has chrysler manufacture the new VW micro...
Very ironic!

Woody

October 24, 2006 09:21 PM

Well having owned two '87 vanagons, one camper and one syncro, and now a Eurovan, I hope VW either makes a new van with the TDI, 4 motion and FOR GOD"S SAKE include a manual transmission option - or don't make one at all! I love that the value of my Eurovan is higher than what I paid new!

Andrea

October 25, 2006 08:17 PM

I read the entries here and totally agree. I have owned a VW since the 1980's and recently restored a 1969 VW Kharman convertible 3 speed semiautomatic with my husband and would definitely only buy VW made by VW. CHRYSLER- forget it. It is guaranteed to be a flop! The engineering in the original VW's make them unique. I am looking for another to restore, preferably a bus, but will consider any running beetle-sedan or convertible. Anyone have anything for me???

Jim Hartman

November 3, 2006 07:50 PM

This is so wrong. Just wrong. Even if I hadnt owned 5 buses(still have my 70 Westy) and 11 other air-cooled VWs (still drive a 73 std.bug daily)....and had only driven some soul-free form of auto my whole life...I WOULD SAY AT THE TOP OF MY LUNGS - THIS IS SO WRONG.

Ed

November 8, 2006 04:20 PM

There is something very wrong with this idea. A cool car like the old bus would be great. We do not need another big van. The old VW was kind of small and, well...."Groovy". Lets try to redo the old one.

Michael

November 18, 2006 12:49 AM

Dude, I own a 1967 bus, and trust me when I say, they shouldn't give chrysler the manufacturing rights. Why can't they just do it themselves? They did a good job last time.

erwin knapp

November 22, 2006 08:55 PM

I hat a 2002 weekender with pop up i drove to alaska 15000 miles what a pleassure trip.i stupit sold it 2005 One of my biggest mistake i made.My heart is bleeding since
I dont want a mini van i want a weekender again
pleace vw make it again I pay any Money for it
Bitte bitte ich habe nicht lange mehr Zeit
Vielen Dank already

Van Veen.

November 25, 2006 09:08 PM

Waddafok is everybody worried about? the Chrysler car (65% Mercedes) is totally in the hands of Dieter Zetsche & Co, so it is in fact German engineering to the bone. Mercedes has been making the body parts of big VW vans in Europe for years now (Bremen) and to avoid shipping time and costs it is only logical to use the Chrysler facility. Dont worry, the days of shoddy U.S. made cars are almost over, there are only 1 1/2 U.S. car companies left....

sloweyefasthand

December 3, 2006 02:34 AM

I saw the first concept pictures for this bus and they didn't look much like the real thing from back in the 60's and 70's, but the picture on this page looks a lot better and more reminicant of the old bus look. But nontheless there's is no way you can recreate the "magic bus" without actually building another one that looks exactly like the real thing. I own a 1976 Bus (my first car) and it has more character than this concept could ever have. Maybe I'll change my tune when I finally see one in person. It looks like you don't sit over the front axle any more either, which is one of the coolest things about the old buses. And the wheels are so ugly, should have stuck with the crome dome hubcaps with whitewalls. And to add on to that there's no bench seats or vintage color options. I know they're trying to go for a new futuristic car, but they could just make a brand new kind of van instead of slapping the microbus name on it. There's nothing futuristic about the original bus, looks to me like this concept isn't worthy of the microbus name.

alan

December 11, 2006 03:59 PM

Will they make a pop top westfalia???

The 03's are still fetching in the mid to upper 20K range!

George Bock

December 11, 2006 07:51 PM

Although Chrysler made "mini-van" a household word, it was VW that made it an American icon! For the two companies to combine thoughts, might be a good thing, as long as VW remembers its roots, and what the Microbus meant to a couple of generations. The Microbus is more than just a "car", it has a personality that each owner seems to adopt. This van seems too flashly and trendy to be fit that niche. Cute, loveable, and dependable is what VW needs to aim for.

Amskeptic

December 11, 2006 10:48 PM

VW can try to dress up a pig in a dress, but they have strayed from the honest dependability that made them rightfully famous back in the 60's. What is missing here is the courage to create something with true quality and honesty. It just wouldn't answer to today's cautious and mediocrity business model. Yet, if they did. . . I reckon they could re-inspire the devotion we had for the air-cooled VWs. Won't be holding my breath. . .
Colin

Roger

December 21, 2006 09:18 PM

If it's being built by Chrysler it's going to be a piece of crap.What's next Ferrari Caracrap. Oh well if VW wants too shoot themselves in the foot
let them

Roger

December 21, 2006 09:19 PM

let them

Roger

December 21, 2006 09:22 PM

What is VW thinking off. Really Chrysler, com'on what is next Ferrari Testacrap

Kevin Peterson

December 25, 2006 11:07 PM

The reaction here really surprises me. VW invented the minivan, Chrysler made it a household word. Don't you all think that the two companies collaborating on a project like this could bring one hell of a van?

I agree with other posters about Chrysler engineering as well, I own two Chrysler minivans, one currently with over 200,000 miles on it, and both are very well made, durable vehicles that have never left me stranded. At least drive the new vans before you make up your minds.

O. S. Anhel

December 27, 2006 01:46 AM

I have owned a 72 camper bus, an 84 Vanagon with the waterboxer engine and currently drive a 92 Eurovan with 432000 kilometers on it. All offered a simple utilitarian interior, decent fuel mileage and reliability and the ability to carry a sizeable payload (nearly a ton). An efficient diesel engine, mileage in the 30's and that utilitarian interior with good weight capacity at a decent price will get me to sign up again.

George

December 31, 2006 11:22 PM

VW by Chrysler? Perhaps not as ludicrous as a Mercedes by Dodge. But, where is the creativity in the auto industry? It seems like all the recent mergers have taken a hit on design. I keep seeing new Mercedes models that look like a Chrysler or Dodge. I occasionally mistake one of the Jaguar models for a Ford Taurus. As a long-time Saab fan, I was extremely disappointed when Saab's long-awaited SUV came out looking like a Chevy. Where does this all end? Why don't we just go back to one design for all cars, in black of course. VW is the one company that should say enough is enough and come out with a unique, iconic bus for the new era. The consumer demand is there for original work. Make it unique. Make it practical. If they want to be progressive, make it electric. Make it unlike anything else on the market. It will sell at a premium price.

Andrew

January 6, 2007 06:51 PM

What a bunch of ignorant Europhiles on this site! Whining about Chrysler mechanicals hurting the stellar quality and reliability of VWs!? Are you kidding me? Have any of you read an issue of Consumer Reports recently? Most VW cars have below average reliability, and overall American cars have reliability significantly above that of European makers.

My parents owned an 81 Westphalia camper van, and while it was extremely space efficient, it was no joy to drive. If you've ever tried to wrestle that bus-like steering wheel through a slow speed turn, it's not easy.

I can understand why people are buying Japanese cars--reasonable prices, good resale value and reliability--but European cars have the worst of all worlds--high prices and bottom of the barrel reliability.

Miz RD

January 8, 2007 12:06 AM

Why the h*** doesn't VW just bring the Touran to North America and be done with it? This is exactly what so many of us want: a 7-seater hatchback, VW engineering & handling, not a huge minivan but stil flexible, useful and reasonably spacious inside. Sheesh.

pibe

January 12, 2007 09:23 AM

No matter what VW is VW.if Vw wants Chrysler to build or rather continue their legacy it is a pity indeed for vw.

Capn Skully

January 12, 2007 12:36 PM

Volkswagen has lost all touch with thier roots. Why doesn't VW build a people's car an econo-car like the geo-metro and an econo-box like the ugly Scion. Then they may get some of thier base back as an owner of five Vintage VWs and a new beetle I am throughly disappointed in Volkswagen of America. This move just sets VW back further.

"G"

Sergio

January 23, 2007 11:06 AM

Rumor has it the reason this build is happening here is because the EuroVan ( which I am a proud owner of) is only built in Germany. Also, it is only built in the VW truck factories because it is built on a truck frame as opposed to a modified car frame. Apparently VW had made a deal with the unions that forbid the building of any "truck" outside of these factories.
PS - This is info I got from someone IN VW, not some concocted story . . .

Glenn Petersen

January 26, 2007 10:58 PM

I had a 1993 Voyager and it lasted 155,000 miles. Price was $14,000. We had the superior Chrysler designed 4-cylinder. So it wasn't so bad, although their dealer service departments were awful. A Chrysler mini-van with the excellent Volkswagen 1.9 liter Turbo diesel would be very nice. I have a 2004 TDI Golf and it is wonderful (45 mpg). I just hope they stay away from velour fabric and offer a design that is "boxy" like my 1970 VW Transporter. $30,000 is way too much money....$19,000 base is more like it.

P

January 31, 2007 11:32 PM

Volkswagen does make econo-boxes but not for north america and Crysler in part of Daimler-Benz Hence it is NO LONGER a american brand, the crysler division may be head quartered in USA but owned in GERMANY

P.Brown

February 11, 2007 03:26 AM

The Vanagon is the last microbus.Period.The Eurovan was a frontwheel drive/front engined 180* turnaround.This thing will only appeal to a few rich California soccermoms trying to be cool.

Mac

February 16, 2007 10:43 PM

Right On!
I have a '71 Bus and a '98 Caravan and they're both great vans in their own way. I'll never sell my Bus but I'll want to replace the Caravan in a couple years, and the Chrysler Bus will be the first van I check out.
I'm approaching retirement and my wife and I want to do a couple laps around America in a van, and this may be our ride. (Our Bus is too old do the trek, and we're too old to do it in the Bus.)
My wife will greatly prefer a Chryseler Van, because of her satisfaction with our Dodge Caravan. We bought a Vanagon in the late 1980s, and even then the Dodge mini-van was probably a better value. When we replaced the Caravan in the late 1990s the Dodge Caravan was a vastly better value than the Eurovan, at least in my wife's opinion.

R Henkel

February 18, 2007 06:53 PM

Look,
Chrysler/Dodge uses Mercedes parts in all their vehicles in one way or another. VW is a german auto maker as well. TWO german auto makers are making a deal to put this thing together. After looking at the new van Chrysler is releasing.... one word... wow! New inovations and seating configurations, not to mention all the improvements over what's out there. NOW VW wants a piece of a vehicle that is above what is available, fine... and with VW offering it with a diesel? HELL YEAH! With 4 kids, 4 dogs, and a partridge in a pear tree having something that gets good gas milage? I'm there with bells on!

chrissy

February 21, 2007 01:50 PM

vw makes a couple of vans already the touran and the sharan! how about converting one for the U.S.

Eric

February 22, 2007 06:57 PM

The Volkswagen I should never have let go of was a 1967 21 window deluxe bus. Simple. Efficient. Reliable. Cool. Of course when you're a kid you never think your van may be worth a $100K to some ex-hippie whose last wave riden was the dot com.

Now that I'm in well into my forties and looking for something nostalgic yet new to drive, I hope the big shots at Volkswagen will remember what the "V" stands for. And give us something affordable... with a big rag top!

crissycolangelo

February 22, 2007 07:32 PM

Thanks a lot vw. I have been a proud owner of 3 vw's the last few years. I am a mom who needs a lot of space for children,friends,pets and activities. Everyone I know loves the microbus. I was looking foward to ordering one this year. I loved my beetle but it got to small for the family, the microbus resembled the beetle a lot. It is a fun cool car. Every MOM would LOVE to pull up to karate,school,soccer,or the beach with a MICRO BUS. PLEASE,PLEASE do something.I will never buy anything other than a vw since I have owned one, but I WON'T BUY A MINI-VAN MADE BY CHRYSTLER. YOU GUYS SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES. Life is too short, make the microbus for all of us, you should have done a lot more research and you would have different results with your findings. Crissy vw owner and interested in purchasing a microbus.

Brian

February 28, 2007 05:03 PM

If Chrysler makes the van as nice as their Town & Country Limited model and uses Volkswagon's turbo diesel, it should be a great van. Neither company has a reputation of long term reliability but at least the Chryslers are cheaper to fix. For you Chrysler bashers, Volkswagon builds a car that drives better than anyone elses...for about a year or two. The reliability of their cars are always ranked at the bottom by Consumer Reports.

Mike

March 6, 2007 06:37 PM

Used to work at Michigan International Speedway. Chrysler used to bring their minivans with the Italian tubo-diesel power plant built by "Vermuli" (sp?) or "Lombardini" (sp?). It was underpowered and routinely blew head gaskets. Looks like Chyrsler is looking for a quick-fix to mitigate the problem of not having a very fuel-efficient minivan of sorts. The thing only got about 22 mpg and was very underpowered. Hopefully, a VW powerplant would work nice.

The Plymouth Horizons and Dodge Omnis used to come with the VW motors. So this comes as no suprise. Just look at the Dodge pickups with the big Cummins diesels. If Dodge can't make it (and generally they can't), they outsource. Real nice setting the outsourcing gian in motion, Iococa!!

Long/short, yeah, I might buy a used VW/diesel Dodge-made minivan. It's bigger than my 2000 Jetta TDI (which has had a lot of problems with electronics, interior detail falling apart at the drop of a hat, bad brakes, bad struts, faulty tail lights, faulty window switches, clogged intake, blown turbo, attraction to deer...)

Later.
-Mike

m carter

March 12, 2007 05:00 PM

I can't beleive this! I am so dissappointed. I hated my chrysler van, it was cheaply, poorly made. I now drive a vw eurovan that I love. I think this is a real mistake.

Bart Wendell

March 21, 2007 01:15 PM

I'm optimistic that VW can improve on the Chrysler minivan formula. The Eurovan was a niche vehicle and would be at any price. The business case is not there for Eurovans no matter how many of us diehards demand it. What's to lose by this strategic partnership? The first order of business is to see that the few remaining VW dealers survive. Even in the Northeast, the ranks are thinning. VW needs to show consumers it can be a credible player in our market. There is no business case anymore for uniquely interesting vehicles that are unreliable. In spite of the perfect reliability of my daughter's 81K '04 JETTA, I recommend vw's to no one because of their now 26-year generally poor reliability record (ever since the Pennsylvania factory fiasco).

Sister-ship Audi has shown the way in sales, and in my garage.

I hold out no hope that the new van will be a poptop or replace the Eurovan in any other functional way. I just sold my beloved '99 Eurovan poptop for a Honda Element and have no regrets.

Rich Y

March 28, 2007 03:22 AM

I am disapointed in VW, there is a difference in other cars and Volkswagen it's different...I will not purchase anything from another company saying it's a new Bus...German Engineering does cost more, and I am willing to spend it....I hope Volkswagen changes the people who are giving away their past and history to an american company, nothing against Chrysler but Volkswagen made the first mini-van...it goes to show you they are worried about it selling...they said the same thing about the new beetle when I worked at the dealer in the late 80's. They were wrong

sean

March 30, 2007 12:39 AM

ive got a 73 bus, in the process of restoring it.. but ive also got a 91 chrysler mini van...

the bus: in my shop, runs great, always has, few minor issues like new plugs rebuilt carbs etc...

the chrysler van: its in my back yard, does not run, has not run in over 7 years.

seems as if that should say something about quality of the vehicle...

1 exception to chrysler though.
i love my 98 cherokee :)
k bye

John Eberle

March 31, 2007 11:41 AM

Will the new Microbus smoke like every Chrysler mini-van on the road? Is that a feature, or do they all suck like the rest of the Mopar line?

danny

April 1, 2007 09:54 PM

Geeezz, I can't believe it! I had a brand new Chrysler Van and after 4 months while on a trip to Vegas it began to spill oil! I got rid of it! Actually,I have had mechanical issues on Every American car I have purchased. So this VW/Chrysler van deal kinda scares me man.

Robert

April 15, 2007 09:24 PM

Well, combining automakers? Let me tell you first hand. I had, keyword had, a Crossfire. Mercedes frame and engine..basically a slk. But the body and interior Chrysler. The interior is a piece of crap to say the least. Squeaks and rattles everywhere. Just way too plasticy looking. Great engine of course and fast but overall... what a shame and to top it off the Chrysler service was for the birds. I finally got rid of the car mainly because of the service. Felt like a tonka toy in the inside.

DodgeFan

April 20, 2007 09:29 PM

Money, Money, Money!!! if you pay attention to automotive mags your see interviews where vw management admits they are over priced for the us market and trying to get their prices in line with the market so they can sell vehicles compared to the competition. With the euro so high against the dollar there is no way they can import the van and remain price competitive. This is the only way for you (vw fans) to get your vw van. If the van is a bomb blame it on vw because this is their deal!! There the customer with control here. The saab comment earilier, saab is owned by gm so they took a current offering gm suv and tried to saabify it. Obviously it was to badge engineered for you. Chysler has made super reliable mini-vans for years and they sell the most in the us. Their the only "Domestic" still made compared to ford and gm.

Fred

April 26, 2007 09:51 AM

I drive a 77 bay bus in the uk, I love it. But it is expensive to run, burns oil, costs a fortune to keep running. So everyone who says that Chrysler shouldn't build the new bus, think about what the original vw had, chysler ain't far off.

carlos

May 10, 2007 11:00 PM

I remind you the characteristics that must have a minivan; it must have:
1) front traction.
2) flat floor.
3) sliding door(s).
4) easy acces.
5) third row seat.
6) agile and soft handling.
7) easy opening tail gate.
8) great interior space.
9) tow capacity.
10) comfortble.
11) quiet motor.
12) fuel economy.
13) automatic (of preference)
14) safety.
15) useful in long trips.

something that VW-Microbus doesn't have.

cc

May 18, 2007 01:41 AM

I don't see what the problem is... there's nothing wrong with Chrysler minivans, not that I'd buy one mind you. If VW sells a van that happens to be made by Chrysler but has the suspension tuned to a more European feeling, and has a smaller, VW-spec fuel efficient engine, especially a diesel, I'd be interested... at least it would give me something to put on my list of potential family-haulers other than the Mazda 5.

Having a brand loyalty is basically letting the manufacturers' marketing people pull the wool over your eyes... if you're that concerned about image over drivability, utility, and value, the ad agencies have already brainwashed you.

tavo

May 22, 2007 09:39 PM

Chrysler suuucks, I love Vw's and i am sure that many people won't buy a chrysler just because it looks like a VW, it has to be a 100 % VW in order to be a good quality car.

mark

May 31, 2007 10:27 AM

We have had 6 VW vans since 1974 - have always had one. We now have the last imported Eurovan and hope it lasts until a new model comes out. To be attractive to us it has to have a distinctive appearance, be big, tall, have big open area in the middle (we have the rear facing seats which are usually up or out,) and have a good handling. It mainly has to LOOK different from the generic van. There is no reason that VW can't dictate the design. VW is not famous for reliability anyway - but it has been worth it to have a distinctive, utilitarian, great cruiser.

Jason

June 4, 2007 09:20 PM

NO NO NO NO!!!! If VW Thinks that they are going to pass it off they are DEAD wrong. RIP VW BUS

Shawn

June 6, 2007 10:05 AM

I presently drive a 97 eurovan and love it. Knowing that I will need a newer vehicle within the next few years I hope they are heading towards a camper version because I will definitely go that route.

mary

June 17, 2007 05:56 PM

The bottom line is I want the old style because it worked - period. I would love to have the newer safety, but if I can't get what I really want, I'll just buy a restored version.

RedHat

June 28, 2007 09:42 PM

Please build it. Make it nice, create a new standard.

As for all of the historic VW owners, you have your vehicles. Revel in the fact you can restore them and enjoy them. You are not the target buyer for the new-gen buses, so stop whining. As if your "threats" amount to anything more than old-man grumbles. VW is not limited to it's past, it has new fields to plow, new buyers to attract. All you old-timers, do something equally insignificant... write to Chevrolet and ask them why they don't build the '59 Corvette anymore. That sounds as silly as building the '59 bus again.

Dear VW, please build the new bus. I'll be in line to put one in my driveway.

Gina LeBlanc

June 29, 2007 01:08 PM

DON'T DO IT 1) IT IS UGLY AND I DON'T EVAN WANT TO SEE IT ON THE ROAD.
2) IF YOU ARE GOING TO BRING BACK THE VW MICRO BUS YOU SHOULD DO IT RIGHT JUST LIKE YOU DID WITH THE BUG DO IT THE RIGHT WAY BUILD IT GERMAN AND DOIT CLASIC I KNOW I WOULD BUY IT THAT WAY I CURRENTLY OWNE A VW JETTA WAGON AND I AM LOOKING FOR A CLASIC MINI MICRO BUS.

DON'T LET CRYSLER GET THERE HANDS ON THE VW IT WILL BE BAD!!!

Brad Northup

July 3, 2007 06:19 PM

Like most of you posting, I have owned many VW's over the years including a 67 Bus, an 80 Vanagon, and currently a 90 Vanagon Carat. I lived the evolution, but times change and we really need to be open minded with this new direction, after all, new VW's have been evolving and have more in common today with Honda's and Toyota's then ever before. Anyone who thinks that the new Bus will share anything more than a remote kinship to the original bus is guaranteed to be disappointed. But hey, let Chrysler give it a try and see how it works out. With Daimler involved in the design it should still have some German flavor to it.

Patrick

July 5, 2007 09:55 PM

If Wolfgang is looking at this, there are aleast a 100 people who are not going to buy this van, plus the people they know, and the people they know. Use that incredible VW vision and build a great 100% VW Van. A six cyl diesel sounds very economical, and long lasting. Think about building it in Mexico. I'm sure it can be done, it just takes VISION. If you build it 100% VW way, you'll get these customers back, plus alot more!

Cheers,

Dean

July 10, 2007 11:08 AM

I work selling VWs.

Let's wait and see. Things are changing. Mercedes has cut Chrysler loose. The Germans are no longer calling the shots.

It remains to be seen if the VW/Chrysler Van will see the light of day.

But, if they do, great, groovy, cool. Bring it on. We need it. People come in asking for "A Bus" or a "Westy" or a "Pop top" every other day. The demand is there.

Purists may cringe, but the sky won't fall and the sun will continue to shine in the sky.

Stand down.

DG

July 12, 2007 09:05 PM

I must admit this topic befuddles me. To read some of these posts you would think that VW had a reputation for quality. When did that happen? Every study of initial quality and durability I have seen shows VW in the bottom third of all makes sold in America. I owned a VW hatchback once and it was the biggest pile ever. What is wrong with Americans supporting American workers, you know the ones that fight your wars, pay to support your social security, etc?

AR

July 15, 2007 08:18 PM

VW is no longer the peoples car.....it's the shareholders car. It must be about profitibility and being competetive. Would people pay an extra $5000 for Microbus over the VW Caravan/Town & Country? Maybe not in this day and age when Toyota and Honda build high quality, high value vehicles. Good luck VW. I hope this does not have the same ending as the phaeton.

MIGUEL NERIS

July 16, 2007 03:11 PM

DON'T DO IT VW..... I JUST STARTED A FAMILY AND WAS WAITING FOR THIS VAN TO COMEOUT IN 2008,BUT IF IT'S CHRYSLER I'LL BE LOOKING FOR A TOYOTA OR A USED VW VAN. AMERICANS HATE THE CHRYSLER VAN PEOPLE BUY IT BECAUSE ITS CHEAP. MY FAMILY LOVES VW WE ALL HAVE ONE THIS MOVE WOULD KILL US BECAUSE WE WERE LOOKING FORWARD TO RIDING IN A TRUE VW VAN..:-(

Dave Huot

July 16, 2007 06:30 PM

Hey cry babies, grow up. Many of you are stating how terrible it is going to be that Chrysler is going to assemble the VW bus. The only problem I see is that it will be a little too expensive. As far as quality goes, this will be a gem. Made in America mmmm I like that. Most US cars are made in Mexico and all of the Toyotas, Hondas, Subarus etc. are made right here in the USA. Yup, I like the sound of that. Instead of praying that we loose another half million jobs if they were made elsewhere why not come to the realization that it doesn't matter where they are assembled but how the company runs it's quality control. "ALL" the car companies are changing. Using parts from one another, building plants all over the world buying each other up. Chrysler isn't your father's Chrysler anymore just like Jag, Volvo Datsun, Mitsubishi Land Rover and all the others that I don't remember. So instead of stupidly wishing for US car companies to go out of business and wining about how you old vw's sooo much better than any brand new high tech model could ever be, just try and use your head and think of how great it will be to get another cool car from VW (who built a few lemonds of there own LOL)

loveVWs

August 10, 2007 08:53 AM

Dave should read up on where Chrysler is going to be making the VW and it is not in the US. Much of our beloved "American" cars are made in Canada. Saturn and Toyota are VERY American cars. I believe the Beetles are made in Mexico and the Jetta/Passats are made in Canada ofcourse German parts in both. It is just sad that the "sneak" pictures floating around have nothing to do with the retro Microbus that VW toted out at the car show years ago.

Billy

August 16, 2007 02:43 PM

I'm a 2003 Eurovan owner. My girlfriend and I make passionate love it! We go surfing, camping, shopping etc..Those things won't be happening in a crap wagon made my Chrysler. We are going to Germany to get our next Eurovan.

Allan Honeyman

August 18, 2007 12:07 PM

Purists frighten me. Perhaps they will get out the pitchforks and tar torches if VW does this. Heritage? VW's heritage was a political ploy for Hitler to get millions of Germans to save up for cars they never got.

He got a plant which produced tanks and jeep equivalents. Let's not prattle on about heritage. Is it a good car? I have owned both Chryslers and VW's and they both have their good points. Why don't we just wait and see rather rant on to show what wonderful gurus we are.

Matt Moss

August 22, 2007 11:37 AM

This is a real 2007 VW van, european made.

George

August 24, 2007 10:39 PM

I just looked at the new '08 Chrysler T&C Touring AND Limited minivans, and I am very impressed...no more 4-speed automatics...they are now 6-speeds. And the top engine (on the Limited only) is a SOHC 24V 4.0L V6 with GOBS of power and is quite efficient...as good as the smaller 3.8L V6. I would trade in my '07 Ford Freestar Limited in a heartbeat for the VW version of this newest Chrysler van, and I HATE Chrysler!

J Baustian

August 25, 2007 02:35 AM

I wonder how the Chrysler unlimited-mileage powertrain warranty will affect the consumers' decision whether to buy a Chrysler/Dodge or the VW with only a 60k-mile warranty.

Douglas Leon

August 29, 2007 10:27 PM

Why don't you take the original bus design, put it on a Toyota frame, reverse the drive, give the interior a "once over" and Hybrid the engine? The original design is well loved and, if you're going to sell out, it might as well be to the best auto builder in the world, Toyota! After that we can after market the heck out of the frame, even lift it, yeah!

I have been thinking about owning a bus again, my first car was a 1969 bus. I loved it! And, for all its busted wanton character, I would take again over any car Chrysler has to offer.

Keep it real stoopid!

Denis Champagne

September 1, 2007 07:44 PM

Is this van going to be powered by Diesel? If so I'm very interested.
I now have a 2005 Passat TDI, and it's
great, but not enough trunk space.
Aside from that 50 miles per gal on hwy is fantastic.
Can't wait to see this Van, and also the
Tigaun VW is coming out with.

Denis Champagne

September 1, 2007 07:46 PM

Is this van going to be powered by Diesel? If so I'm very interested.
I now have a 2005 Passat TDI, and it's
great, but not enough trunk space.
Aside from that 50 miles per gal on hwy is fantastic.
Can't wait to see this Van, and also the
Tigaun VW is coming out with.

Denis

Barry

September 6, 2007 11:23 PM

Sounds good! I currently own a VW Phaeton, but have always wanted a van to tour around the US. Do you think they'll incorporate a weekender (pop-up) camper with this model? Hope so! Can't wait to see photos - please email if you have any photos or additional information.

kristin Cutler

September 7, 2007 09:13 AM

Oh please make this! The options for Mom-mobiles really stink. I wish I could drive an old bus but they arent safe enough.

love the bus

September 12, 2007 08:21 AM

I have waited for a long time for the "VW MicroBus".
I have always wanted to own a VW Bus.
I am not looking forward to a Chrysler van.
I really am disappointed in this VW decision.
I just want a VW VAN!!!

Don Man

September 15, 2007 01:44 AM

Chrysler minivans powered by diesels with bluetec technology will be available in early 2008!

mobeus

September 17, 2007 11:57 PM

I would definitely buy the Microbus if VW made it. I was very disappointed to hear the VW was trusting Chrysler to build it for them. In this age, $$ talks and VW said they will not be able to make any money if they build it and no one but the US would want it. I find that hard to believe and they will miss the boat on this oppurtunity to bring VW back in the black. The Phaeton was a flop and they should learn from their mistakes. The new VW bug was a smash seller and still is. VW has really pissed off it's loyal customers with this move. I will probably buy a Honda Odyssey if the VW van is a Town and Country with a VW badge.

Tim Scholtes

September 28, 2007 01:14 AM

It's always easy to beat up on the home team. Chrysler is still a bigger player in North America than any overseas based car companies and brings in more high paying jobs than nearly all of them put together. Chrysler is a far bigger player and an excellent source of high quality, relialble minivans. Sorry Not microbuses or minibuses. VW is still a minor player in this country as most of its lineup is generally overpriced with sub-industry average quality and reliability vehicles. Before you judge the "Chrysler" built (mostly built in Canada if that makes you feel better) minivans against the "VW"'s often built in Mexico vehicles, Go drive the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country. They are an impressive example of World Class quality and engineering (some of it German if that makes you feel better). If they do make a VW model with a Diesel engine they will have Chrysler owners and many others buying them up in higher numbers than any previous VW van has sold in North America. SOUNDS LIKE IT WILL BE A WINNER for everyone except the Diehard Europhiles.

Lucas

October 1, 2007 07:49 PM

If there so worried bout' cost why not build them here in a "new" VW plant made by Americans with the German smart build thinking and management. It's win win, some money stays here, VW's would come back to the "Peoples Car" being less costly but with no sacrifice of quality "Chrysler", and why not just start making the new jetta and rabbit here to. Bonus less importing cost = more competitiveness. I own a 2002 vw ev with 150k miles on it and I would in a instant buy a new "EV" made by vw most likely not if its made by Chrysler. I want a German car made like one not a VW/ Chrysler Hybrid!!

Kevin

October 16, 2007 08:02 AM

Chrysler is the world standard in minivans. VW is fortunate to benefit from the Chrysler expertise. Chrysler bought a whole car from Volkswagen in the late 70's and early 80's--The Volkswagen Rabbit which Chrysler renamed and reworked into the Dodge Omni and Plymouth Horizon. They proved then that they could make the same car in an American Factory in an American Way and be successful (with better door handlesI might add.) I think that this is great. The Microbus Concept was an attractive vehicle, but way to impractical. To have a mass appeal for a minivan, what better way than to have Volkswagen power for the VW fans and Chrysler practicality and comfort? From my experience with Volkswagens and Chrysler minivans, this van may just be one of the best Volkswagens Chrysler has ever made.

lawrence

October 22, 2007 11:05 AM

I owned 5 type twos from vintage 1959 to 1971. Underpowered, top speed 60 mph, tinny , cold, drafty, unstable, and requiring more repair than comparable
American vans of the period. They ate engines. A true joy to drive in high winds across bridges, and would fold up like a rusty beer can in an accident.
Price an engine for a wasser boxer and you will think it is a Cummins
You want proven diesel vans, bitch at Ford and GM to bring in their european products. Or get Damlier to bring in their mini Sprinter.

Dave

October 27, 2007 12:03 AM

please, Someone tell me when to expect the new microbus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Atkinson

October 27, 2007 12:04 AM

please, Someone tell me when I can expect the new microbus!!!!!

CTRI

October 27, 2007 09:17 AM

IT IS HORABLE

Joe Volk

November 10, 2007 09:17 AM

Not realistic!It is not concidered a true vw any longer.But due to changing times no matter what is created the american people will say the contraption created will never be a classic like remembered.VW classics will be around and remembered.The
Newer ones will just die.

EV owner

November 19, 2007 03:52 PM

This is a horrable idea on VW's part. I own a 2003 Eurovan, and just rented a 2007 Chrysler Caravan. What a difference, this is like Hyundai building a BMW.

Swank

November 21, 2007 12:02 PM

Who's genius behind this?? A Chrysler in VW shell? Gross!! VW you have killed the Micro Bus and what the company stood for. This is a sad day. Period.

Jack Estes

November 22, 2007 01:32 AM

I used to own a '95 VW Winnebago camper. Worse decision I ever made to sell it. What I really want is an updated version of the Eurovan but with better reliability. The Eurovans ate transmissions. The old Buses ate engines. I'll buy one of the new Chrysler/Dodge/VW vans simply because there is little alternative in the US market unfortunately. I loved the Eurovan because it sat up high and had a commanding view of the road. The new vans probably won't have that. I hope the VW model will have a pop top and some camper attributes. That may not happen either. It's certainly not as appealing, though not a deal breaker, if it's just a Chrysler minivan with a VW badge. Chrysler has decent build quality. My daily driver is a '98 Chrysler Sebring convertible. I do wish VW had built the Concept Microbus in the US to cut some cost and perhaps made it a bit simpler. It would have been just as successful as the New Beetle I have no doubt.

Mike Barbis

December 6, 2007 10:51 AM

I am a long time VW owner -- 69 Bug, 74 Thing, 80 Cabrio, 88 Golf, 92 Passat, 95 Passat, 03 Jetta TDI. Still have the Thing and the TDI. Despite what Consumer Reports says, my reliability has been pretty good.

I really want a TDI 4Motion van. I'll try this Chrysler/VW Van if it has those features and feels like a VW (ie not just a re-badge).

VW, are you listening??? The responses off your website are useless. Why don't you listen to what your customers want?

dave vanassche

December 13, 2007 10:51 AM

I'm a big bus lover. Started 35 yrs ago

dave vanassche

December 13, 2007 10:58 AM

I'm a big bus lover. Started 35 yrs ago with a 59 bus, then a 75 camper and now a 85 westy vanagon. Not crazy for eurovans but a micro bus concept vehicle, I would rush out and buy. My friends and I are still waiting to see what happens, can't wait to get one.

chris

January 4, 2008 09:11 PM

i have a 1964 vw splity deluxe with a z bed, love it. my wife drives our 1988 vw wolfsburg edition vanagon, she loves it too. im just looking for something more reliable once the vanagon finally dies. a new microbus sounds great to me no matter who makes it.

Susan

January 15, 2008 10:08 AM

I'm on my 4th VW van . . . my current one is a 2003 and I have no plans to ever part with it. For a REAL VW owner, NO hybrid will ever be the same. Give me a real V-Dub van made by Volkswagen. No offense, Chrysler . . . but the mix just doesn't work for me.

Chris Jobe

January 22, 2008 06:27 PM

The design is perfect in every way besides styling, theres one thing that sold be on the new beetle, The ROUND HEADLIGHTS. they are what relate the new model with its classic icon that made it all possible. the other models dont matter becuase they werent around backthen, but its a must for the microbus, beetle, and if the day comes the next ghia too.

as far as other cues and amenities, a locomotive style V shaped nose simular to its grandpa from 49-67

and what about a huge sunroof. they sell today, why not one on the one that started it all.

and of course the two tone paint is a must.

heck they have the platform. why not just go with it. a inovative redesigned microbus with classic styling, and it would actually look good like the splitwindows of the 50s and 60s,

btw, for the people who are telling the 'old men' to stop whining about thier classic bus's, think again. the classics are a hit with all ages today and are extremly collectable and valuble in all markets. , i myself am only 22 and i own the classic's including a 63' bus, and 63' ragtop beetle, and i would love to have the new microbus if they just adopt more vintage stying cues from the orginal,

Randy

January 23, 2008 01:39 PM

I still don't under stand why VW is asking Chrysler to make it? Thats like asking Ford to build a new camaro for Chevy. Should we call it Chryslernugan?

Mark Tennant

January 24, 2008 06:30 AM

I agree with Chris. I don't give a damn WHO makes it as long as it lives up to VW's current reputation for engineering but it MUST capture the essence of the original microbus. I have wanted a bus since I was a child but they are just not practical, let the fanatics chase the rust, personally I would love to drive the microbus of the future, I say get cracking Chrysler, VW have stalled on this one for too long! Put me down for a Samba! Does anyone know when it could hit the UK?

Jeremy

January 29, 2008 06:38 PM

Does anybody on here know when they are going to start production? Lets get this show on the road!

DubG15

January 31, 2008 10:47 AM

I think everyone agrees, that it is about time a legend is reborn - you never know, chrysler might just make it work?? and hopefully it will look something like we all see now. Cos hey, just looking at that thing and i imagine cruising, windows down too the beach friends/family loaded up..It looks fun just standing, let alone rolling..C'mon Vw/Chrysler (sort it out)

erwin knapp

January 31, 2008 10:21 PM

To vw!
In usa you can not Buy a Camper below
65000 and up.
What a change you have to bring a West-
falia camper back.VW you would make a
lots of People happy,and you make money.
Volkswagen there is a big hole here for
RV to Fill it up with a camper from you.
Sorry VW with aut a weekender no more
VW for me.after15 cars so far.
Erwin

erwin knapp

January 31, 2008 10:24 PM

To vw!
In usa you can not Buy a Camper below
65000 and up.
What a change you have to bring a West-
falia camper back.VW you would make a
lots of People happy,and you make money.
Volkswagen there is a big hole here for
RV to Fill it up with a camper from you.
Sorry VW with aut a weekender no more
VW for me.after15 cars so far.
Erwin

Mac

February 8, 2008 11:19 PM

This is a great idea, and my wife will be one of the first people in the VW showroom when the time comes. Over the past 30 years we have owned 3 VW vans and 2 Chrysler mini-vans. We still own a 1971 Bus and a 2003 T&C. If VW can produce a minivan that feels like a Vanagon inside but has the power and reliablity of a Chrysler minivan ...and maybe has some quirky exterior styling..
Then we can set of across America in our new Bus and rediscover the long-ago roads of our naiive youth.

Garth Collins

March 7, 2008 12:38 AM

For me there is no substitute for the last version of the Vanagon. 1991 Carat. Rear bench folds down into bed, two aft facing jump seats. The utility is unmatcheable with anything else on the market with an engine in front. But, 1991 was it....then the EuroVan a few years later but VW never really supported it well in the USA.
Come on VW!! You "remade" the bug from a golf, and overall that works, but you just can't remake the bus with a front engine.
As for my '91, everywhere I go, daily, I get comments of "cool" and "you can't get rid of this thing. We need that DNA to get re-invented.

james

March 17, 2008 02:55 PM

I have had chrysler products in the past. I now drive VW procucts. There are many reasons for this. My favorite vehicle was and still is a VW Vanagon. My LEAST favorite vehicle is the Plymouth Voyager. Come on VW there are many vw vans driving about in europe. We want them here in the USA. I hate and am disgusted with the designs for a van here in the states. The US manufacturers do not know how to design efficiency, like the vanagon was. Yeah it had a low horsepower air cooled motor but I loved it anyway. Please give us Europe's minivans and we will buy them. Do not do this. I will be so disgusted I will turn my other vw's in to the nearest dealer!!!! And never look back.

alberto sosa

April 1, 2008 11:55 PM

We can't stand that all minivans look alike. We are disgusted that VW is allowing Chrysler to build anything for VW. We have been huge fans of VW. We have owned 7 VW bugs ranging from 1963 to 1972, 1 Jetta gl, 2 Passats 1 GLX the other GLX 4-motion . We have 3 kids so we upgraded to an '02 Eurovan. We were waiting for the Microbus but that did not happen. We had our hopes on a new VW van ,but if Chrysler is building it we guarantee not to buy the VW(Chrysler) Van. What hapened to VW's pride and engineering?

eric Stevens

April 4, 2008 02:42 PM

Get over it. New design and processes are only created by companies partnering together. I have always owned VW and I love the classics. Be honest.. they all break after 5 years. Who cares who produces it. VW's Dna? It is design and production. Lets face it the actual hands that created the originals are done producing originals.. it is time it goes to someone else. Remember vw's in the 60's were affordable.. and fixable by anyone. Now it is proprietary and unaffordable. So by all means pass the design on to a better company.. crysler on the other hand.. good luck. Hope the car makes it further than the pt cruiser.

Tyler Chapman

April 5, 2008 08:11 PM

I am glad to see this negative attitude. Hopefully VW will change their minds and go in a different direction witht he vehicle. I would deffinately like to see something costing less than 20K. An affordable fuel efficient (and slow) vehicle is what the American consumer needs right now.

Irene Heilmann

April 15, 2008 12:48 AM

I would love to buy the new vw van, I really like the look and just maybe it well be heavier so it can take on heavy winds, and won't be air-bound. But also would like to see the price affordable. Fuel is a big thing with me, so hopfully more miles to the gal.

Radman

May 10, 2008 01:14 PM

As a VW enthusiast I have significant concerns about joint ventures with Chrysler. Reliabilty issues aside the reason most buy VW is because of the uniqueness of the vehicle and road handling. Cost is not the most important factor for all VW vehicles as those who have bought in past understand it is not the cheapest car/van on the market. Owning many new and old VWs from the Vanagon to abysmal Tourag I for one support the German engineering and manufactured product. The European VW vans are interesting but lack character and concept vehicle such like the one displayed is desired however like many I do not support Chrysler and do buy american and foreign cars,vans,trucks.

Eurovan has been a success for us and like many we will keep for years to come.

Manjoor

July 14, 2008 06:58 AM

Manufacturer of worm gear boxes, helical gear boxes, right angle gear boxes, gear reduction boxes, industrial gearboxes, worm wheel and worm shaft, worm gear, spur, helical and bevel gear, racks and pinion, other mechanical engineering power transmission equipment.

ric

September 21, 2008 02:03 AM

VW just lost my respect. How could they let their name be tied to anything american? :(

Brian Shaw

September 23, 2008 02:04 PM

Volkswagen’s long term quality (reliability) has been poor except for their diesel engine. Taking Chrysler’s Town & Country Limited and letting VW tune the suspension & add their turbo diesel is a perfect match. I’m 42 and have never bought a new car and won’t until a diesel mini-van is offered. Everything else depreciates too much. Chrysler has had opportunities with Mercedes & VW to offer diesel vehicles with 3 rows of seating and has let their SPINELESS Sales & Marketing Brass wait for someone else to prove the market. Another wasted opportunity.

James Young

November 27, 2008 12:51 PM

What took Chrysler so long!

I use my Grand Caravan for camping, sleeping in the back, and my only complaint is I would like a portion of the roof to raise so a person can stand up, when changing clothes.

A few rails along the side for setting in two fold up camp beds would be great.

The camping luxuries, I don't need, since this housekeeping can be done outside. I just hope they don't go overboard.

Kevin Wright

January 5, 2009 05:25 PM

At the time of penning this email, the original article that spawned all the responses above is 3 years old. Looks like the credit crunch has ended the prospect of this joint venture! Despite all the negative comments from the non business minded above, I think most people would agree it's a great shame this project has bore no fruits yet!

From Kiley: Kevin--The VW Routan, made by Chrysler, went on sale last year. You need to catch up.

Bob and Sue

January 18, 2009 09:10 PM

We have had a Volkswagen Sharan mini-van in Europe for over 4 years. We think it would be great for sales in America. Mileage is great, comfort and quality are wonderful, and it's nice looking. It runs on gasoline and lpg. It's the greatest and we wish we could bring it back!

ed sher

March 22, 2009 05:41 PM

It make complete sense to contract chrysler to build models for vw. chrysler already builds the nissan titan. its cheaper to use an underused assembly line like those owned by the big 3 which are idling than to spend billions to build such facilities. not to mention the costly task of bringing suppliers online which chrysler already has and all the other inputs and logistics. no liability, no overhead.smart on vw's part.

Paul J.

June 2, 2009 12:01 AM

I remember being able to really explore the reasons why VW's of old were so great. You could buy a used one for $300 and drive it a while and then when repairs exceeded practicality you just got a different one. Maybe even a different "type". I had every type. My Favorite is a 63' hardtop Beetle. I also loved my 64' VW camper that I put 15" wheels on instead of 14" ( easy swap from a Beetle to bus- Beetle wheels are 15"). By doing so I got 27 miles to a gallon in that camper with a roof rack loaded down and passengers.
In the early 90's the VW's of old were suddenly primed for folks with bigger incomes. Now the Eurovan is coveted.Yuk! I saw my first Eurovan at a dealership around the time I sold my entire classic VW parts collection.
What I really want is an inexpensive ( remember that VW?) stark white windowless panel van ( in the US 'van' is okay) with a stick shift and an a.m. radio.

Larry Brambles

June 2, 2009 01:51 AM

VW does make a brand new camper van called the California model. Only thing...
you cannot buy in California USA. How stupid is that? I would love to buy a new one. You can buy them very easily in England. Does anyone know if you can buy one there, and legally bring it into the USA? Please send me Email if you know the answer. Thanks!

Randel Griffin

July 10, 2009 02:21 PM

I agree with a lot of people on the Classic Volkswagon Bus get the classic because they last a lot longer then the crappy chrysler version of the vw bus.

You mite as well call it a chrysler bus
To be honest chrysler is the worst car company in the world and I will tell you why because their trannys are not reliable, you cannot buy a new part with out taking it into chrysler because you have to get the computer reprogramed every time somthing goes wrong its kust a waist of time and money.

Dennis Perusse

September 11, 2009 09:52 PM

Folks their is an interesting theme here which no one seems to be catching up on. Will the vehicles that are built today ever be restored tomorrow?
This seems to be the case with what I can see here. I'm kinda in the middle of this issue. I can see two companies working on a car concept, that's fine, but these two have issues all of their own.
First issue is reliability. Both, have had models that have done really well and some that have done crappy. My hope is that this concept goes back to original intention, Durable, Fixable (by you and not necessarily the dealership), and Long Lasting. I capitalize these things since neither side is willing to listen to their customers when we wish to be heard.
My second issue is what parts will they be using? If both companies are pulling out of their vast parts bins the parts that are over engineered then the reliability will definitely go up. I can't tell you how many times I've had to look at my Dodge Dakota pickup and wonder why "X" part broke and yet look at my new beetle and say why did "Y" part just fail only after a few years.
In summation I am not willing to rule it out yet but 30,000 is too much for a vehicle. Just get the bay window that is made in Brazil up to the states and most of us will be happy. Sure it'll need an airbag but all of the safety features that are in it passed all of the rules in the USA back in 1979. If we press for a vehicle which puts us, the driver, in mind and stop having crap put in it for the lazy, thoughtless, and downright foolish maybe we can have a vehicle that many will want to drive.

....ever perchance to dream...

Ivan Bayarri

September 21, 2009 09:00 AM

there is only one soution to all this trouble. do not buy the van, make vw rethink about their concept it should be like the beetle or the mini some look a like.