LinkedIn Boards the Twitter Train

Posted by: Rob Hof on November 09, 2009

These days, it seems that everyone wants to be pals with Twitter, the microblogging phenom. On the morning of Oct. 21, Microsoft announced a deal for its Bing search engine to search for Twitter updates known as tweets. Just hours later, Google announced a similar deal.

Not to be left out, the professional online networking service LinkedIn on Nov. 10 is announcing its own integration with Twitter. Users of both services will be able to sync some or all of their tweets on Twitter and “network updates” on LinkedIn.

Specifically, users in LinkedIn will be able to check a “tweet this” box near their network update post to Twitter. And while on Twitter, they can add the hashtags “#in” or “#li” to their posts to appear on LinkedIn. Finally, a new app called Tweets will let users put their Twitter streams on their LinkedIn profiles.

Here’s a video with LinkedIn Executive Chairman Reid Hoffman and Twitter cofounder Biz Stone:

And here are the details in a blog post from Allen Blue, a LinkedIn cofounder and vice-president of product strategy:

I’m excited to announce that starting today, users can sync their LinkedIn and Twitter accounts, allowing them to broadcast LinkedIn status updates on Twitter and vice versa. This allows you to amplify your professional activities on Twitter while keeping them organized and structured on LinkedIn. We think the two go together like peanut butter and chocolate. Watch Biz and Reid come to that inevitable conclusion in the video below!

LinkedIn has always been about your professional identity on the web. The many elements that make up your online professional brand range from your LinkedIn profile to the many professional conversations you’re a part of. Status has proved valuable to our users, from finding jobs to kick-start a global business enterprise.
Now you can amplify those messages by broadcasting them to your audience on Twitter.

How does LinkedIn work with Twitter?

It will take a few hours to roll out the feature to everyone (so be patient!), but with today's launch, we're making that two-way communication between your status updates and tweets a breeze to set up. Here's how it works:

1. On LinkedIn

Want to share a status message about an industry-specific article you’ve just read with a broader audience? Or how about letting people view your Twitter account name on your profile? Begin by joining your LinkedIn and Twitter accounts in just a few clicks. All you need to do is click the Twitter box under your Network Updates box on the homepage and follow a few simple steps.

Clicking through the setup process will allow you to specify the Twitter account that you’d like to sync and/or display on your LinkedIn profile.

2. On Twitter

As you travel across the web, you’ll often find articles or reports that would be useful to share with your LinkedIn connections. Now you can share from anywhere. As part of the setup process, you can choose to either send all your tweets or select tweets from Twitter back to LinkedIn as a status update.

If you pick the latter, don’t forget to add the #li or #in hashtag to every relevant tweet you’d like to send back to LinkedIn.

So go ahead and get started. Join your LinkedIn and Twitter accounts today to add a new dimension to your professional conversation.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

Izzy Ginzberg

November 10, 2009 06:20 AM

Linkedin is being very smart by co-opting twitter with an integrated flow between sites instead of making people choose... there are also several new applications on both twitter (like lists of follows) and status updates on Linkedin that start blurring the line between linkedin, twitter, and facebook....

Brian H

November 10, 2009 09:18 AM

As a regular LinkedIn user, I am not sure that I like the idea of the service jumping on the Twitter bandwagon and adding this type of integration. I really do not want to see my LinkedIn experience get cluttered with lots of tweets that are not that meaningful to me. I would hate to see LinkedIn move more toward an experience like Twitter or even Facebook where it is easy to get inundated with pretty inane status updates.

Michael Ward

November 10, 2009 01:05 PM

As someone who posts status updates to LinkedIn, and then cuts and pastes the same post to Twitter, I think synching the two platform makes alot of sense. At least using the hashtags from the Twitter end lets you be selective. It appears to be all or nothing from the LI end however.

Ed Bertolas

November 11, 2009 03:32 PM

When Linkedin first started I was asked to be a beta tester and they had promised me they had no intent of ever being in the recruiting business . If anyone wants me to send them that particular email just ask .....Point being is and I am surprised no one has brought this up the blending here will open all archives from linkedin to twitter without ever asking the joiners of Linkedin if they even want to be on Twitter . I think like this because when selling my database of 150,000 biotech, biomed , pharma, biologics contacts I will first divulge to whom I am selling and ask if they want to be part of that entity or not . This is NOT how these 2 played the game. There needs to be privacy issues met before one can sell this type of personal business outright and as Brian H who wants needless crappola sent to us on Twitter ........

Laura Chapman

November 12, 2009 09:10 AM

It was about time! Linkedin was one of the few sites out there that didnt have this kind of integration.
I wish I could use Linkedin with Wadja.com and have my linkedin feed #labeled.

Ron Casalotti

November 12, 2009 10:10 AM

Great idea! While I normally wouldn't strain to pat ourselves on the back (but these days are special) our own Business Exchange (http://bx.businessweek.com)has featured simul-posting of comments to Twitter since March and LinkedIn since October. So, a posting a comment on BusinessWeek's Business Exchange publishes on all three at once. I'm happy to see Twitter and LinkedIn validate the concept. (Disclosure: I am the Director of User Participation for BusinessWeek)

Mark Smith

November 12, 2009 10:54 AM

I always find it difficult to find information on Twitter that I want to read. Often its irrelevant. The best way I have found to aggregate and filter social content to my interests is through Wadja's labels system. Great way to view only the topic you want. Perhaps LinkedIn is cluing in to this now.