Verizon Still Wants the iPhone (Despite those Droid Ads)

Posted by: Spencer Ante on October 26, 2009

Despite a recent slew of negative ads dissing the Apple iPhone in support of Verizon’s new Android-based device, Verizon chairman and CEO Ivan G. Seidenberg told investors on its earnings call today that the company still covets the iPhone.

“This is a decision that is exclusively in Apple’s court,” said Seidenberg. “We obviously would be interested in any point in the future they thought it would make sense for them to have us as a partner. And so we’ll leave it with them on that score.”

This statement jibes with my feeling that Verizon’s embrace of the Google Android operating system is just as much a negotiating tactic as a hedge against the iPhone.

Without the iPhone, a game-changing device that has set the wireless world on fire, Verizon is pursuing a sort of spread-your-bets strategy in which they offer a whole range of new devices, including, most importantly, a series of Blackberry handsets.

For example, Verizon this week is launching the Storm 2, an updated version of the first touchscreen Blackberry, which is getting much better reviews than the first one. And the Motorola Droid, a super-thin phone that uses Google’s Android operating system, will be unveiled on Wednesday morning in a big press event in New York City at the W Hotel.

“We have expanded our base of other devices,” explained Seidenberg. “So our view is to broaden the base of choice for customers and hopefully along the way, Apple as well as others will decide to jump on the bandwagon.”

- Spencer Ante also publishes the Creative Capital blog. Click here to see more.

Jason

October 26, 2009 4:45 PM

Smart move, Verizon.

Verizon_coulda_woulda

October 26, 2009 4:47 PM

US phone carriers are way behind, and the game-changing iPhone is already outclassed globally by smartphone manufacturers who produce phones for tech-savy users who know how to manage a mobile operating system other than iPhone OS.

Verizon is as-always the last to the table with top smartphones, and that's behind an already lagging US smartphone market. Doesn't speak to well to Verizon customers wanting a top of the line smartphone, unless they want the newest POS from RIM.

BD

October 26, 2009 5:03 PM

Verizon had their chance to get the iPhone and blew it. Sorry it happened which is why I had to switch to AT&T.

flthere

October 26, 2009 5:08 PM

One possible solution: and it’s a win-win situation for Verizon, Apple and customers. Apple can create a cdma phone and sell it exclusively in Apple stores or online without any discounts/rebates - I mean full prize. Verizon, if it cares for its customers, would offer its own rebates directly to the customer instead of cutting checks to Apple. This way Apple can get its full worth on the device, its control over the iTunes and Apps. Verizon customers can get iPhone, even though they may have to pay full price. Verizon wins coz it’ll get new customers or keep its existing customers happy by letting them own iPhones. Apple wins coz it can sell more iphones and yet get the full price directly from customers rather than thru Verizon

Bill

October 26, 2009 5:15 PM

It's "jibes," not "jives."

Kai

October 26, 2009 5:21 PM

It is really in Apple's best interest to offer the iPhone on other major networks like Sprint and Verizon. At this point, as we've seen with the success of the App store, there is real money to be made in selling apps. If Apple wants to take a big lead in selling apps, they need to continue to significantly increase their iPhone install base. More iPhone users = more money selling apps.

Shannon

October 26, 2009 5:26 PM

The Verizon ads I've seen don't "diss the iPhone" as much they diss AT&T's 3G service. I wouldn't buy an iPhone now for love or money - I'm in one of the areas that has lousy AT&T coverage. Put it on Verizon's network, though, and I'll be in line for a new contract, in a heartbeat.

eyefony

October 26, 2009 5:27 PM

If Verizon truly wanted the iPhone, they would not have agreed to attack the iPhone through ads that reveal the facts of what the iPhone cannot do and does not have compared to the latest smartphones.

The thousands of dollars spent on such an ad compaign translates to losses in iPhone sales. Less consumers will buy the iPhone learning what it cannot do and does not have compared to it's smartphone competitors.

And that could amount to thousands of dollar losses on top of a patent infringement lawsuit served by the largest smartphone market in the world, Nokia. iPhone will soon be in big trouble.

Chuck A

October 26, 2009 5:27 PM

@Verizon_coulda_woulda

What I really love is the really cool, smart kids who have all of the cool phones from all over the globe who take the time out of their ever-so-cool days to tell us just how lame and uncool the rest of us are for owning and liking a phone they say is uncool and outclassed.

You must feel so good about yourself now. Good for you. Really. Good for you.

jpquezada

October 26, 2009 5:31 PM

"tech-savy users who know how to manage a mobile operating system other than iPhone OS." And how many people would that be?

FJT

October 26, 2009 5:44 PM

@Verizon_coulda_woulda:

While I agree US carriers are way behind, just who are these marvelous manufacturers and what phones do they make that "outclass" the iPhone? I haven't seen one device from any maker that would induce me to leave the iPhone, and I am as "tech-savvy" as they come. It isn't a question of devices - it's a question of which OS - and all the others use either Windoze (im)Mobile or their own equally lame OS.

Android is one of the few that show any real promise, and I STILL wouldn't chuck my iPhone for a Droid.

Also, you notice that all the other devices are merely trying to copy or go one-up on iPhone - and getting their butts kicked.

Luc

October 26, 2009 6:04 PM

Apple is not going to give the iPhone to Verizon or others. There is a strategic reason why AT&T was chosen: it's the only carrier in the US using a GSM system. This permits to Apple to create one iPhone version only and market it worldwide ensuring quality (Since they do not need different systems to support different format than GSM) and reducing costs. They have no incentive in creating a different iPhone to support a different protocol: it would raise costs for sure and is not said it would bring benefits: if somebody really wants the iPhone just need to switch to AT&T, no problem with that. Verizon is paying for their myopic choices: not to use the world standard (GSM) is just bad for business.

wowlfie

October 26, 2009 6:16 PM

Why would they need this when the new Android Droid is going to blow away the iphone is beyond me. Droid Does. Iphone Don't. Don't forget that!

Apple Entering SK & Verizon & You

October 26, 2009 6:19 PM

Apple recently won long-coveted approval to enter South Korea. SK is predominantly CDMA. Not W-CDMA, but CDMA. Apple clearly doesn't need to do much work to get on the Verizon network, except break their contract with AT&T. Or encourage the feds to call the relationship anti-competitive and let them break the contract for them.

siphandone

October 26, 2009 6:21 PM

iPhone or not, it has to cost me around $30 per month... Otherwise, I stay put for what I have...

Jeff

October 26, 2009 6:30 PM

@ Kai
Except I think that App stores are the number one thing keeping a future version of the iPhone off of Verizon. Verizon has instituded a policy where all phones on its network must come preloaded with the V-Cast app store and no other app stores. This would not work with Apple's business model. So what Seidenberg meant to say was "This is a decision that is exclusively in Apple’s court, as long as Apple completely changes its business model and the security features of the iPhone."

Debby

October 26, 2009 7:26 PM

According the Verizon... the iPhone is missing all these things... and *YES* we do want it!!!!!

Hilarious!

Outclass

October 26, 2009 7:57 PM

Coulda woulda what? The iPhone is already outclassed globally? Mind telling the rest of us about this phone? I'm sure tech-savy users in Europe would like to know too.

Amit

October 26, 2009 9:06 PM

This is what really disappoints people. Verizon was offered to carry the iphone but didn't because they were too caught up in beating it. The truth is, the Iphone is the best out there and no one would be able to beat it besides Apple releasing an updated model. On the other hand, At&t took the offer and are now crushing their competition just because they carry the iphone. Apple also has to realize that if they make deals with other phone companies, they will earn much more than they imagine. I think Apple is too busy counting their money than looking at the sacks going right under their nose.

Tufik Habib

October 26, 2009 10:09 PM

Wow, Verizon is actually begging for Apple to let them carry the iPhone. They had it coming. Wireless carriers have to know that their business is to transport data and voice, and the value-added part of the business is to allow information and applications to be organized in their network and to have them function well. Not sell music and handsets.

scottmeads

October 26, 2009 11:27 PM

I have had a blackberry and several Microsoft smart phones prior to my iphone. What I always tell everyone is that there was life before the iphone and then there is the wonderful life after the iphone. One of my sons has a G1 and we are not impressed at all. There is nothing better then iphone any where no matter what anyone says and if I was in Verizon's shoes I would get on my knees and start begging. In my opinion if Verizon doesn't get it they would eventually become a basic handset company and could never compete in Smart Phone market.

Scott Meads

October 26, 2009 11:29 PM

dino

October 27, 2009 5:53 AM

follow the money..........thats who gets the iphone

William

October 27, 2009 9:34 AM

Verizon absolutely did the right thing by refusing the iPhone (which is already available as a CDMA in Apple's labs). By doing so they allowed the under-belly of AT&T to be exposed (lack of connectivity) and once they get iPhone, the number who will flock away from AT&T will be huge. AT&T is putting lots of pressure on Apple to extend the exclusivity but to no avail. Expect an iPhone on Verizon's networks in 2011-2012.

Shanna c;

October 27, 2009 10:06 AM

Verizon_Coulda_Woulda seems like one of those irritating know it all lamers who think they're way better than anyone around them. Too bad it's not true. forreal forreal c;

I love the iPhone. It's my baby. lol

Luddite

October 27, 2009 11:50 AM

Why are people buying smart phones in the first place? What is it they do that other phones don't? Is it the address book? The MP3 player?

Will WiMax Wipe out Mobiles

October 27, 2009 1:51 PM

VOIP brought in the first revolution and Landlines were wiped out. Can VOIP over WiMax do the same for Mobile phones? ie. A Voip service on the move supported by WiMax. Is this a reality? If so how long do we have to wait for it? Will the phone companies allow that to happen?.... Any Thoughts !

gerrrg

October 27, 2009 2:54 PM

@scottmeads -- Odd your comment about the G1. Whenever I pull out my G1, my friend with her iPhone doesn't want to pull hers out. Prior to getting a G1, she'd pull out her iPhone for practically no reason at all. I hear speed has become a recent issue. (She has to dig hers out from her purse while mine is in my pocket. j/k)

I hear your iPhone just recently got the ability to do MMS, huh?

_____

@Spencer Ante -- The Android platform is expected to become the second largest by 2012, according to Gartner. Oh, I don't think this is a negotiating tactic. Verizon is a part of the Open Handset Alliance. This is about taking the fight to AT&T with Android.

Seidenberg's comments are akin to telling Apple that it'll have to beg.

Jack

October 27, 2009 3:10 PM

Between the branding, disabling and disabling of functions any phone offered by Verizon is going to cost more and do less than the same phone on any other network. Now using an IPhone that does more and costs less than Palm on Verizon plus I can now make calls at my home. If the network is so great and CDMA is the way to go why is Verizon changing?

Jack

October 27, 2009 3:10 PM

Verizon_Coulda_Woulda

October 27, 2009 3:30 PM

Wow, the iPhone really must be the first-born smartphone of some of the obvious fanboys here.

@Chuck A, Shanna C, and Outclass
Sorry to say anything but positive, award-winning, fe11ati0 type comments about Apple and the iPhone. Truth be told, I was speaking a little too rash when saying it was outclassed.

@Shannon
The new Verizon ads directly diss the iPhone, just google "Droid Does" and you will understand

@Jpquezada
Just because only a small number of people now how to use something doesn't mean it's not as good. You could apply your comment to Linux/Windows and see what I mean.

@Verizon
Stop dragging your feet on the release of new phones, and don't go betting the farm on Android. Cut your V-crap stranglehold on phones and you'll get somewhere.

@All
To say a phone is "outclassed" is rather silly, and it was silly of me to say it that way. My perspective is, there are phones with just as much storage, faster processors, better cameras with a flash, microSD slots, more RAM, more media compatibility (like divx and mp3), and built in social networking integration. Such a phone would be Samsung's i8000 or Omnia 2. In fact, HTC and Palm's smartphones offer much better integration than the iPhone.

Does that make them better? Not if you don't care about any of those things or if they are of no use to you.

In fact, sitting on my desk right now is a 3GS. The number of hoops it took to pull contact pictures in from facebook profiles was ridiculous. The number of free apps and podcasts that it offers can't be beat though. Android does a lot of things that most people really don't care about.

The biggest of all being multi-tasking. The iPhone allows you to listen to music in the background of everything but calls. You can also edit contacts on a call. Safari auto-bookmarks your spot on exiting. What else do you need? Who really carries around extra-charged batteries for swapping?

The Omnia 2 is a pretty viable alternative to the iPhone, and it does outlcass the iPhone's camera, screen resolution, battery size (1500 mAh) and battery life with an AMOLED screen, and codec support for media. The iPhone still has more apps, but I have seen my favorite apps made for Android and WinMo as well.

One thing "Droid" doesn't have is a Google Earth App. Are you kidding me with this, Google only made an Earth app for the iPhone?

Al

October 27, 2009 9:26 PM

Verizon, Please Please bring us the iphone. Your other devices are not even close to the iphone. Everywhere I go or travel, I found the Iphone adverts or picture in front of me and I feel bad! How long can we wait before we switch to ATT?

James

October 27, 2009 10:17 PM

I think the iPhone would be great on Verizon. If Verizon is "begging" for the iPhone I think they will drop there "v" if they were to recieve the iPhone. About the media drives and social intagration

Who gives about the ports when information is soon going to be on they interwebs

On the social integration side all I have to say is the "app store" it can be the social networking key

i want the iPhone for verizon!!!!!!!!
Lol written on the ipodtouch

Phil

October 28, 2009 12:03 PM

In Europe, there are newer phones even more advanced than what is being attended to here in the State. Why is it always that way. Is it due to control or surpression by the manufacturers? Or the FCC? The Nokia phones are more intelligent phones than iphnes and others i Europe.
Service Providers should wake up to the task rather than struggling to sell clients out-dated phones here especially Verizon.

Jerry

October 28, 2009 1:47 PM

Keep IPHONE on AT&T

Blind Phone User

October 29, 2009 6:25 PM

For some of us, the choices aren't so easy.

Until now, blind phone users, and there are a lot of us! Have had two choices when it comes to phones.

1. Get a phone with no or little access. LG has done some work with this, which is why I'm on verizon now. My current phone reads menus but not most of the dialogs, allows me to set up contacts, will speak who's calling but that means I don't get a ring, and will read text messages but not who they're from. Web browsing and using most of the phone's advanced features are out of the question.

2. Pay anywhere from $300 to $500 extra for special speech software that goes on the phone, and even then you have to make sure you get the right kind of phone. Add to that the fact that the programs often crash...

Now with the iphone, which includes voice over for full and complete access to the phone via text to speech, we've got another option, and they did it on a touch screen! I'm pretty well certain these other competitive phones, including the droid, don't have that option. If I was on AT&T, I'd have one now. I could go to a store, buy one, come home, plug it into my computer so that ITunes can turn voice over on for the first time, and I now have a fully accessible phone without paying tons more than anyone else.

Unfortunately, I'm under verizon contract until next year, so I'm stuck years behind most cell phone users. But I know a whole lot of blind people who've already switched, and if verizon doesn't get the iphone or, less likely, get full speech on their phone, I'll be joining them just as soon as I can. Go apple for taking the initiative!

Jerry Smith

October 31, 2009 11:49 PM

"I haven't seen one device from any maker that would induce me to leave the iPhone, and I am as "tech-savvy" as come. It isn't a question of devices - it's a question of which OS - and all the others use either Windoze (im)Mobile or their own equally lame OS."
You can't be that "tech-savvy". HTC Pro 2 WinMo 6.5 Rom is the best OS out there at the moment. The phone is incredible for business/tech savvy people. You seem too caught up in the toys. The iPhone is more for playing. I don't disagree with it, just not for me since I'm more on the "tech-savvy" side of the spectrum.

GSM System is where its at. CDMA is lame and hurts Verizon a bit.

"There is nothing new in this article. The business plan for Apple remains the same - offer to one carrier exclusively for a limited time to build brand recognition and a user base, then offer it to other networks.

If you hate the iTunes control over iPhone, there are several apps out there that DO allow a more "windows folder" control of the phone."

This post is spot on the money. Finally one person who has done some research rather than just an opinion. It was a great business move by Verizon. If you read other articles, 95% of iPhones owners love the phone but hate their carrier.

It comes down to an earlier post "follow the money..........thats who gets the iphone"

Joel Pizzuto

November 1, 2009 9:37 AM

Verizon just laid me and thousands of others off.Do you want verizon as your carrier? My 6 month old son thanks verizon for leaving us in the dark......and you?

dan

November 2, 2009 12:29 AM

you probably suck at your job thats why you got laid off....now go look for another job while using ur unemployment checks for now and quit complaining and making verizon look as if it was their fault for you sucking at work

Zsu

November 2, 2009 9:42 AM

I find it strange that Apple does not want to make more money. I also am in an area where there is no AT&T coverage. Having lived overseas, where all phone are available at all companies, it is a strage concept to grasp. It seems that there are many people who would purchase the iphone if it was on a carrier that worked in the area. Oh well, maybe some day

Phil

November 2, 2009 10:35 AM

I never really cared for iphone, if verizon wants it then thats great...but if they don't it really dosen't make a difference to me. The iPhone is is all hype and i would rather have a keyboard. What makes someone feel important by touching a screen...it was happening years before the iphone.

mike from nyc

November 2, 2009 3:05 PM

Ok so I am not tech savvy at all I only use my crappy Samsung phone to text and make calls. However, I do want to upgrade to a smart phone and would like to use it for more leisure purposes (mostly internet purposes). I have Verizon and don’t plan to switch (especially to AT&T…been there done that). Any suggestions for what phone I should check out? Been thinking about the Blackberry Tour? Any advice?

dp

November 3, 2009 12:07 AM

verizon needs to understand that there are 10 year loyal premier customers like me now willing to switch to ATT...we would leave with our 4 phones, land line, internet connection maybe even switch to DirecTV from FIOS...$400 per month.....need an announce ment by end of Nov...

Jamie

November 4, 2009 9:23 PM

all you have to do is get a unlocked iPhone off ebay and activate it with Verizon. Its just that simple.

Really?

November 5, 2009 3:24 PM

@Jamie

It's really that simple huh?

Have you tried doing that yet? Let us know how it goes.

tvteacher

November 6, 2009 1:26 PM

It's simple... I don't want a storm, storm 2, Droid, or any other smart phone, I want an iPhone on Verizon. From an educational standpoint the iPhone is an Honors class and everything else is special ed. I don't need a phone with an IEP. Verizon needs to get the iPhone at any cost.

James

November 6, 2009 5:28 PM

I've been waiting for verizon to offer the iphone over a year. This is ridiculous, I will be switching by the end of this year if verizon doesn't step up their game.

DaveVerizon410yrs

November 6, 2009 5:40 PM

I have had verizon since 1999. Went to AT&T today and flirted with the Iphone..... Im sure Im not the only one. Making to move soon and its worth the cancelation fee. The Blackberry storm 1 and 2 suck and the droid looks to complicated.

Steve

November 7, 2009 4:18 PM

The experience on a phone is all about the user interface. That is why, hands down, iphone is tops. I was eagerly awaiting the droid and while overall impressed, not wowed. WOW is what you say after using an iphone. It is hard to believe after two years no phone come close to it. It is a seemless, intuitive device wrapped in an easy to use package You can talk specs, multi-tasking, networks all you want, but it all comes down to user experience and iphone still takes the cake. Simple as that! The first iphone killer was the LG Voyger. A decent phone, but laughable to compare it to iphone. There have been many more to step up and fall right back down. The Storm is the most notable. As I said the droid is nice, but Moto has a lot of nerve touting a physical keyboard that is barely usable.

nickoleum

November 10, 2009 9:24 PM

iphone or Verizon! WTF!the droid and others are just wanna be iphones. i am switching to at&t in 2010 if apple still wont release a verizon iphone!really!

junior

November 11, 2009 7:42 PM

For me it's as simple as this...I go NOWHERE without my iPod, and I go NOWHERE without my mobile phone. It would be awesome to be able to carry one device instead of two.

I have tried a number of "Verizon iPhones" like the LG Dare, EnV Touch to name a few. I'm now using the Blackberry Tour. I like the Tour, it gets the job done, but it's still not the iPhone.

Scott

November 12, 2009 11:11 PM

With the movement of faster networks from both carriers lurking just around the corner it would be smarter of consumers to ride the wave out and see what happens. Once the new networks are rolled out I would see phones, most likely, having to be replaced to work with the new LTE networks to be launched. Lets face it ATT doesn't have the current network to even support the iPhone to its full potential and I don't see them stepping it up in the near future.

In my opinion ATT has the worst cell phone service and customer support out of all major cell phone company's. I went into the store with an ATT network connectivity issue on my iPhone and they were no help so I emailed their support and got a reply back in 3 business days. I submitted the report on a Friday and didn't hear back until Wednesday of the following week only to have the email tell me to call a customer service 800 number on a different phone only to find them pushing a new iPhone3GS on me at an upgrade price of $200. Then come to find out that many people with iPhone 3G were having connectivity issues after the 3.0 updates. Sorry to rant but it is a major issue with the ATT company who seem to keep biting off more than they can chew.

I love the iPhone and all it does, but it is stuck on a sluggish network that has too many bugs. You think that the iPhone can't multitask apps because its not powerful enough??? I believe Apple executives have multitasking iPhones and the phone in the consumer market is being choked by the ATT sluggish 3G network and ATT isn't allowing the masses to have multitasking because their network can't handle it. Lets remember that ATT held up the MMS capabilities for the iPhone. Apple could have released the MMS for the iPhone back in iPhone Rev1 but ATT just wasn't capable to handle it. Remember once MMS was released on iPhone for ATT the ATT network came to a standstill due to overload of traffic.

If and when Verizon gets an iPhone or rolls out another HTC Droid Eris type phone on their new LTE network I am going to switch back to Verizon and say goodbye to ATT. If you are currently using Verizon as your carrier then I would suggest to you to stay and try out the HTC Droid Eris but it does have a big full price for upgrade cost but not nearly as much as what ATT wants for an iPhone straight up. I do believe that Apple will bite on Verizon offer and develop a better iPhone for the Verizon network with more of the Motorola Droid(TM Lucasfilms) features.

This will give apple more source of revenue and open up the race again for who has the better network.

karen

November 13, 2009 8:21 PM

I will not move from Verizon. I've been with the company before they were Verizon - that's many years. No dropped calls, no roaming fees, nation-wide coverage. It's not worth the iPhone to change coverage. I love the iPhone and really want one (mostly so I can have all devices in one), but if you look at the sticker price and compare the memory - it's not worth it. I use my iPod as a portable hard drive too. Until the iPhone really bumps up the memory capacity - it's not even worth a second glance to move to AT&T. especially since AT&T customer service SUCKS!!!! Verizon has bent over backwards trying to make me happy, AT&T could care less - it's like they have a superiority complex. Did you know that Verizon owns their cell towers, but AT&T rents them - that's why you get sucky coverage, if a tower goes down, AT&T has to wait for the company that owns it to fix it, whereas Verizon fixes it themselves.

Technerd

November 13, 2009 11:47 PM

First of all the iphone itself is rock solid like most apple products and to top it off the apps are wonderful and can do almost anything. Second as far as verizon not switching to gsm there is a reason. Verizon is developing a new network technology which far exceeds the capabilities of gsm technology. Already many are claiming that this new tech. will be the standard in the future. Apple should do everything possible to expand into every carrier in order to maximize sales of the units and sales of apps. I refuse to leave verizon which is the only network with service by me, all for a phone that is amazing but won't get service. If it doesn't happen I will be getting a ipod touch for some app. and wifi usage and ignoring the iphone forever.

TimK

November 14, 2009 5:02 AM

I just want to comment that I have an iPhone with AT&T and love it. I think that most of the time the only people you hear from are those that are not happy. They are the ones that like to complain. I'm sure there are areas that AT&T doesn't have coverage as well as I'm sure Verizon has them. I have had my iPhone for over 2 years - I just got my 2nd iPhone the 3GS 32gb because I was so happy with the first one. I'd say I'm tech savy - I manage a corporate network, although not huge - 5 locations and almost 200 users and if there is a better phone than the iPhone then I'd like to know what it is. There are 2 areas where I live that service is sometimes weak other than that I'm surfing the web, using GPS and making calls with all my bars and most of the time in true 3G. I think Verizon is just being a sore looser in this game. AT&T was either smart or lucky whichever. They won this one. I'm sure someday something will come along better than the iPhone and maybe Verizon will win that game. The final point I want to make is that all of this talk about surfing the web on the fastest network - WiFi is becoming more and more available everywhere you go - so in the end it won't really matter the only thing we will need cellular carriers for in the future is to make phone calls again.

ill

November 15, 2009 11:32 PM

So I have the Motorola Droid and it is amazing. Very fast and the internet works everywhere with superb speeds. I had a Blackberry before this and an iphone before that. The new Droid is faster and more reliable than both of them. ATT coverage area sucked and lots of times I had no 3g service which meant no app downloads and no internet. I have created a phone with the droid that is different than anyone elses with all the options for personal developement. The iphone always looks the same. Also, wifi wont always be free. everything is going to be data soon anyway where minutes dont matter anymore. VOIP will be huge and cell phones will replace home internet like time warner and other cable internet providers as the providers boost their data networks. Look for Verizon to launch LTE next year towards the end and see how fast and reliable their internet sppeds will be then. No one wil even be close. Then apple will be begging for Verizons network connections and speeds. Im willing to bet on this one!!!!!!!

Philip

November 17, 2009 12:25 AM

I do like the droid. However, I currently have a iPhone 3gs. I did check the Internet speeds phone vs phone.. & they both loaded the website at the same time. As a result, speed is the same. And why verizon might have better coverage. I hardly ever lose coverage with my iPhone. I think some people over complain about AT&T. They act like u can't do anything lol.when intact it's not bad at all.

iPete

November 17, 2009 9:58 PM

I have Verizon, the best network, and will wait for the iPhone on it. But I hope they don't scale it down to a 2.8 screen like is rumored. Hopefully, Apple will add other features like 5mp camera with flash. The planned VZW LTE will be awesome, too.

Jz

November 20, 2009 2:48 AM

I haven't heard anything positive about Verizon in years. Everyone complains about their phones constantly breaking, which is a common occurance. Everyone i know with Verizon has gone through at least 3 phones, even the most caring ones. In my opinion if Verizon gets the iphone they will ruin it in some way or another. Iphone should stay with AT&T, no matter what. It keeps competition within markets. If the iphone is offered everywhere the demand will go down after the hype is over. The demand to create something just as good, which will never happen, will decrease, leaving those who aren't fit for the iphone with little choices.

Richard H.

November 23, 2009 12:38 AM

Well I dont know whats going on around the world. I do know I have the Storm 1 and so far I have no complaints. Yes Vcast is preloaded on it and so is BB appworld. but I still can get apps from other sources, and it dose not efffect my storm. it is the 9530 with the bb os vs 5.0.3 and its working really good. I do like the Apple I phone. If other folks around the world say we are behind. Then whats to stop them from getting into the US Market. the Top 5 cell companys have not cornered the market since there are other smaller cell phone carriers around, its been a hard economy. I don't see other folks around the world trying to get on the US market. So if u are not from the US then dont bag on the market here. so far most of the cell phone manufactures are marketed here in the US. Why not another Carrier. till then shush the I phone is a good Media Mainstream Phone. I like it, I just not happy with AT&T practices, that is why I chose Verizon. I have 6 lines and my bill is always reasonable. NO HIDDEN CHARGES. and well cant beat a customer base of 80 million plus. well i said my peace. APPLE go to Verizon, I will buy. and oh the droid umm look online for apps for it!!!!! good luck.

Joseph

November 28, 2009 8:55 PM

The Droid is a good product marketed and labeled in the most horrendous manner imaginable. Teens use an iPhone, but so does Grandma. Grandma is not going to use a Droid. Teen girls will use an iPhone but not a Droid. Even teen boys will use an iPhone as a chick magnet. Sorry Motorola the Droid sounds like you guys are looking for Luke Skywalker. See, Steve Jobs understands you pay $2k a year and you want to be cool, be hip. Apple's got that branded niche. That's why the iPhone is winning.