Snow Leopard: Printer Compatibility Update

Posted by: Stephen Wildstrom on August 31, 2009

Since the release of Snow Leopard on Friday, there have been lots of reports of printer incompatibilities, mostly involving Hewlett-Packard and Epson printers. Both companies have responded with fairly detailed compatibility information.

HP has published a compatibility list and instructions for getting supported printers and all-in-ones working under Snow Leopard. No word yet on when drivers for models not currently support might be available.

Epson has also put up a Web page where you can check the compatibility of specific printer and scanner models.

Jeff Ingle

August 31, 2009 11:56 AM

I have an OKI C5500N color laser printer. I cannot get Snow Leopard to recognize the printer or work as a generic psot script printer. Any ideas? I did by the way have it working with the Leopard version.

Truckzilla

August 31, 2009 12:52 PM

Been trying for two days to download printer driver for Snow Job (I mean Leopard) with no success. I NEED MY PRINTER!!!

Tom Cooper

August 31, 2009 2:27 PM

When my configured printer gave me the "additional software is needed" error message, I simply re-added my HP OfficeJet 7210.

The "old" printer definition does not work, but the Snow Leopard added one is fine...

ProfBiglow

August 31, 2009 3:46 PM

If you look at the 10.6 forums, you will see that many of us got success by going to the HP support pages and installing the Leopard (10.5) driver over again. Worked like a charm for me!

George Atkins

August 31, 2009 5:24 PM

Installing Rosetta from the Snow Lepoard DVD (In Optional Installs) seems to be the answer. It took an hour to install/update the MacBook.

Oki User

August 31, 2009 10:55 PM

kjmworkout

September 1, 2009 2:59 AM

Any information on HP Scanjet g4050 driver updates for Snow Leopard?

Dave J

September 1, 2009 4:00 AM

The printing function worked fine on both my networked HP printers after a Snow Leopard install, but the scanning function on my HP Laserjet 3055 Multifunction ceased to work. Solution suggested on several blogs worked great - uninstall the HP software (HP Director), re-download the HP software form HP.com, reinstall and re-boot. The scanning functionality now works fine along with everything else. Just a minor glitch in an otherwise trouble-free upgrade to Snow Leopard.

Chris

September 1, 2009 5:36 AM

Truckzilla, check the support page of your printer's manufacturer. While Snow Leopard had support for many brands and models of printers, some models didn't get updated compatible print drivers until after the release. For example, Samsung just released updated drivers on its web page for some of its models which hadn't been working with Snow Leopard. My CLP-510 didn't work for a few days with Snow Leopard, but Samsung released a an updated driver yesterday, and it works just fine now.

If you have a printer from a reputable manufacturer, they should have got with the program by now and released an updated driver, if not, then you need to call or e-mail them and ask for assistance.

Lucas Camilo de Souza

September 1, 2009 9:10 PM

No problem... i`ll get a new other.. but not hp.

hplovejet

September 2, 2009 5:27 AM

I contacted Samsung and here is their response:

With regard to your ML-1510 and the recent issue you have experienced with Mac OS 10.6, as with previously released versions of the Mac OS, Samsung Electronics will provide support for this platform and will provide drivers for the new OS once they have been refined. In the mean time a number of our users have reported that simply reinstalling the 10.5 driver will allow users to continue using their printer.

Once the drivers have been refined for this latest Mac OS release they will be posted on the download centre of our website, we suggest that you monitor the website for their release.

Unfortunately the 10.3 driver which is their latest for this printer does not work in 10.6 :(

Marcie

September 2, 2009 12:57 PM

I just loaded the new Snow Leopard and my HP DesignJet 750C Plus Plotter quit working. It was working previously with Leopard so I reinstalled the printer and now it works fine. I previously had trouble getting the plotter to work at all till I installed the new print drivers (glutenprint 5.2.4).

Mike

September 2, 2009 1:19 PM

I have a HP PSC 1317 which was fine and dandy in Tiger, but since installing snow leopard has no joy, it will print test page bypassing the drivers, but all apps no chance. Bit of a cock up from mac point of view as they boast vast printer support, shame we can't find it. Probably pass the book to HP. All i know is all worked before, and since paying for and upgrading I have no printer, pain in the butt when I am trying to run my business. Any clever tech cheats greatly appreciated. Mike

Chris Manschreck

September 2, 2009 1:33 PM

HP Deskjet 5150 is currently functioning in OS X 10.6 using the HP Deskjet 5400 series driver.

Ken

September 2, 2009 2:31 PM

I had the same problem with my HP Laserjet P1006. I took Snow Leopard out of my MBP but left it in my iMac. What I did was reinstall the drivers and it worked! My advice to everyone is try to reinstall your original software that came with your printers. Good Luck!

Jon

September 3, 2009 4:45 PM

My Konica Bizhub c650 production machine and my Kyocera FS-c5015n color lazer both stopped working after the 10.6 upgrade. Konica UK has responded with saying that 10.6 drivers should not be expected until Dec 09. Still awaiting Kyocera's response.

CN

September 3, 2009 5:53 PM

For those having issues with Konica Minolta drivers, specifically the newer Bizhub lines of machines (Black panels), as a workaround for the time being, load the 10.2 drivers rather than the 10.5 .. this should get you up and runningwith full functionality until we release 10.6 compatible drivers

Ales

September 4, 2009 9:50 AM

5150 works with HP Deskjet 3822 - Gutenprint v5.2.3 drivers
p1006 works with the previous version of the p1006 drivers available at the HP site

Stuart Thomson

September 6, 2009 7:22 AM

After upgrading to Snow Leopard, my Kodak 8500 photo printer refuses to work. Has anybody else seen this problem.

David

September 7, 2009 12:54 PM

Stuart, go to Kodak.com search on MAC OS 10.6 and it will take you to a link for new drivers.

Stuart Thomson

September 8, 2009 8:31 AM

Hi David, I've tried that and nothing matches. Typing in Mac OS 10.6 gives you some info on a medical printer but doesnt mention the 8500 or Snow Leopard.

herrbutzie

September 8, 2009 4:43 PM

Our OkiData C5300N & C6400 don't work with Snow Leopard either. This is the response I got from okidata support.

Thank you for your recent inquiry.

1) We are aware of printing and other issues with Apple's release of Snow Leopard and we are sorry for the inconvenience.
We are working to resolve these problems as quickly as possible.
Please note that most other printer manufacturers are also having issues, so this is not unique to OKI.

Unofficially we are having success using the "generic post-script" driver for Post-Script printers but not the GDI printers

Meanwhile we are working toward a comprehensive print driver solution as
quickly as possible.

Please watch for updates on our website - www.okidata.com.

Stuart Thomson

September 9, 2009 10:08 AM

I contacted Kodak and they said they wont be releasing an updated driver for the Kodak 8500 printer. This sucks! Anybody else have any other idea's. Are apple likely to resolve this problem.

ivy

September 10, 2009 7:56 AM

THE SOLUTION for Samsung (and others?):

It's worx! Many thanks for the linux guys!

Matt

September 14, 2009 7:43 AM

Konica Minolta 8650 - top of the line printer - wont work with Snow Leopard with its latest driver...

I can get limited functionality with the v.103 drivers... but no duplexing, etc etc.

Seems daft considering the target market for these machines - clearly, studios running a high-end colour laser printer will want to update their Macs!!!

Matt

September 14, 2009 7:45 AM

Virginia Postrel

September 14, 2009 6:37 PM

I have a Brother MFC-7840W, which is supposedly supported (and has a new icon in Snow Leopard) but isn't being recognized. I thought it might be a problem with the wireless network, but connecting a USB cable doesn't work either.

Matti Hartikainen

September 24, 2009 1:37 PM

Someone suggested an older version (for 10.5) HP printer driver might work. Not with HP Business InkJet 1200d. I am not going to buy any HP printers into my office.

Ted Uzeb

September 25, 2009 12:40 PM

hp photosmart 7150 works very slowly now.

hp states on their website they won't support it for Snow Leopard

I can't believe this

Greg

September 30, 2009 5:05 PM

Add Epson stylus nx400 to the list. Downloaded drivers from their Snow Leopard page - still doesn't work. Glad I Time Machined before installing snow leopard.

Sandy

October 4, 2009 3:14 PM

Just managed to get a unsupported Samsung ML1710 to work using this method:
1. In the printer setting right (ctrl) click the printer, clear printer settings. This will effectively uninstall the printer and all related drivers.
2. from the install disc, optional installs, install Rosetta. Restart!
3. Re+install the printer using the latest available driver.
4. Printing works again!

MIKE

October 6, 2009 4:28 PM

Add to the headache list: there is no printer-driver that will run my SONY DPP-EX5 dedicated photo printer. Sony has a patch "in development." Apple showed me how to download Gutenprint 5.2.3, but it only works as far as firing up the printer. The photo prints are merely interference lines of some sort.
Does anyone know of a high-quality, small photo printer which will work with Snow Leopard?

Paul

October 8, 2009 7:38 AM

Since installing Snow Leopard on my MacBook my Samsung ML-1210 printer won't work. I have Rosetta installed, I've tried downloading and reinstalling the Samsung driver, I've tried the generic postscript option. Nothing works. Had I known I would have avoided Snow Leopard completely.

Dan

October 12, 2009 9:50 AM

My Lexmark Z715 hasn't printed since I upgraded to Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro weeks ago. It's a basic printer...no fax, copy, or scan capabilities, it did the job until the upgrade. Very disappointing.

Michael

October 12, 2009 2:35 PM

Just got off the phone with Okidata and was emailed a driver that now enables me to print to my C5500N with Snow Leopard. The file name is C5685allosx130_tcm3-67877.dmg

If you are unable to print, try to obtain that driver. The 5558OSXGDIEB.dmg file did not work for me at all.