Help for Snow Leopard Printing Woes

Posted by: Stephen Wildstrom on August 31, 2009

By and large, Mac upgrades to Snow Leopard seem to be going pretty smoothly, but there are a lot of reports of problems with printers and scanners. This isn’t entirely surprising; drivers, the software glue that connects hardware to the operating system, generally cause the most problems after any upgrade. And Snow Leopard’s handling of printer drivers is significantly different from its predecessor’s.

Both Apple and Hewlett-Packard have some help to offer. If you are having printer or scanner problems after a snow Leopard Upgrade, the first place to go is the printer and scanner compatibility page on the Apple Web site. Apple also has a page to help troubleshoot Snow Leopard printer issues.

If you have an HP printer or scanner and that doesn’t solve your problem, more help is on the way, but you’ll have to wait about a week. From 8 am to 5 pm on Sept. 9, HP technicians will provide real-time assistance for issues posted on HP’s Mac Printing & Scanning Board. After the real-time help ends, HP promises that techs will continue to monitor the board and attempt to provide timely help in resolving problems.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

portland guy

August 31, 2009 11:51 PM

good grief...could you misspell a few more words in this article??? what, now you're outsourcing your technical reviews to India? give me a break ...

dino

September 1, 2009 01:34 AM

uh Stephen, how about running your work through a spellchecker b-4 posting to national weekly magazine? Thanks, you're aiding in the formation of a our American idiocracy.

Jeff

September 1, 2009 02:01 AM

PLEASE - for the love of all that is holy proof read your articles:
"afdter"
"o" instead of "of"
"privde"

I feel dumber after reading this, even though you provided great info! Words mean a lot.

Thanks

tim

September 1, 2009 02:25 AM

spelling checker woes?

afdter any upgrade
handling o printer drivers
HP techinicaian
privde timely help

Dan

September 1, 2009 02:59 AM

I stopped reading after the first two spelling errors in the first paragraph.

Dave J

September 1, 2009 03:52 AM

Although the printing function worked fine on both my networked HP printers after installing Snow Leopard, I lost the ability to scan on my HP 3055 Multifunction. From a help forum suggestion, I uninstalled the HP printer software (HP Director), and downloaded it from HP.com and then installed it again. After running the installation and a reboot, my scanning functionality now works again. I'm good now and everything else works great, but shame on HP for not being prepared after months of Snow Leopard developer releases.

Victor Flores

September 1, 2009 04:40 AM

Typo in first paragraph.

Steve Wildstrom

September 1, 2009 06:21 AM

Sorry folks about the typos in the original. All I can say is that it was at the end of a very long day, I was struggling with some nasty technical issues, and I had no access to a spell checker but wanted to get the information posted as quickly as possible. They're fixed now--I think.

misspeller

September 1, 2009 09:32 AM

what's so important with misspelled words? this is a blog, not peer reviewed journal article. be little kind — he's trying to put the info here as fast as possible for our benefit - possibly while he is in a trip or something like that. don't be so superficial.

Indian Guru

September 1, 2009 12:09 PM

Portland Guy, don't be such a pig... Indians are far better than Americans. We don't need a stupid spell check to tell us what we got wrong!

Mike

September 1, 2009 01:52 PM

So all you whiners didn't understand the message he was conveying because of a few "mispelled" words?

I suppose you don't pay any attention to Einstein's ideas either because he had an accent and didn't speak "perfect" english.

Get a life people.

Poor ignorant soul

September 1, 2009 07:35 PM

Hey Dino!

I find it much more painful reading stuff written with some obvious misspelling (caused by also obvious lack of attention rather than ignorance), than reading stuff from idiots who post words like "b-4" "to national weekly magazine" (your words).

Give the man a break! One can clearly recognize the difference between ignorance and simple typing lapses.

Before you judge my spelling, I am Portuguese so go ahead and try writing in Portuguese for me to judge your spelling.

barb

September 1, 2009 07:49 PM

Geez! I don't care about the spelling!!!! I just want my printer to work again!

Jazz4

September 1, 2009 09:45 PM

Hey Portland Guy, Indian Guru is spot on, the emphasis on spelling in the United States has a low priority and many rely on Spellcheck for this very reason. I remember teachers in public schools in Long Island, NY, who said that spelling was not important for the children because of the new computer programs ! He should also check out the list of top ranking entrants in the Scripps Spelling Bee Contests for several years.

Richard Cowen

September 1, 2009 10:09 PM

fyi

F u Portland Guy

September 1, 2009 10:45 PM

There are more people in India who can speak cleaner English than there are in the U.S. you elitist pig.

Lew Buckley

September 2, 2009 12:27 AM

I don't know if it ought to matter to me or not, but I can't NOT tell you that there are still, after all the complaints about the spelling, not one but two examples of "snow Leopard" (vs. Snow Leopard).

And as far as "outsourcing your technical reviews to India" is concerned, there are a lot of countries from which poor examples of English routinely appear. India isn't one of them.

chucky

September 2, 2009 04:34 PM

Ders a new spilling program, English Spilling in India for $39 rupees +taz

annoyed

September 3, 2009 09:56 AM

I do not care about the spelling - I want my deskjet 3745 to work with my macbook pro- frankly I would not have upgraded to snowleopard if I had known it would not work with the new os.
do I have to uninstall snowleopard - I am NOT buying a new printer.

tinc

September 3, 2009 05:32 PM

OK, so everyone here seems to be happy with their new Leopards.

But I have a Xerox Phaser 6120 that Apple has no driver for. Neither does Xerox and have stated they have no intentions to develop one.

Anyone want to great deal on a boat anchor?

AnnTobias

September 5, 2009 01:02 PM

Documents show up in text edit. Help!!!!

Scott

September 7, 2009 07:35 PM

Here’s how I got my 4MV working with Snow Leopard:

1. Print the Self Test page on the printer and locate the IP address for the printer.

2. Click on the Print/Fax icon in the System Preferences page from your Mac.

3. Select the + sign below the Printers window on the left side.

4. In the Protocol line select HP Jetdirect – Socket.

5. In the address line, type in the IP address from your printer’s test page printout.

6. In the Print Using line select Select Printer Software.

7. Scroll down and select your printer by name.
8. Hit the Add button.

I would guess other printers would work in a similar manner.

bill

September 18, 2009 05:33 PM

An ironic discussion. I just upgraded to Snow Leopard, and the "Add" feature in spell check on Mac for Word 2008 is disabled. So far, no luck finding a fix, so if I've misspelled anything, blame Sno Leppord.

tiffany sale

September 21, 2009 04:55 AM

Thanks for your information, i have read it, very good!