Upbeat Signs for Windows 7

Posted by: Stephen Wildstrom on April 08, 2009

A new survey suggests that this fall’s introduction of windows 7 could provide a badly needed boost to Microsoft’s corporate sales. A poll by ChangeWave reported by ZDnet found that 44% of the 68 corporate users testing Windows 7 were “very satisfied” with the software. A similar poll taken by ChangeWave in February, 2007, a few weeks after vista’s launch, found just 10% expressing a similar sentiment.

The number of users survey is small and the results should be taken with a grain of salt. But the findings are consistent with what testers (myself included) have been saying about Windows 7 across the board.

Depending on the state of the economy and corporate IT budgets early next year, it’s possible that Windows 7 could enjoy the fastest enterprise adoption rate of any version of Windows. A lot of corporations were relatively slow to move to XP because they had successfully deployed Windows 2000 and there was not a huge advantage to an immediate shift. And the bulk of enterprises skipped vista entirely. This means they are now running a very old operating system that Microsoft is laboring mightily to retire; “mainstream” support for XP ends next month. These factors could set the stage for a rapid ramp of Windows 7.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

Rakesh

April 9, 2009 04:19 AM

Yes, I am waiting for Windows 7 !!

m.r.

April 9, 2009 05:26 AM

I, and many other business' and consumers, run a version of XP with few problems and great satisfaction. I saw no reason to switch to Vista. the only way I will use Win7 if I get a new PC computer. I suspect many others are thinking along the same line. I wont buy for at least 6 months after Win7 final version is put on sale. I am prepared to run XP for a long time if Win7 has too many problems. I am also
prepared to switch to MAC/OS and bootcamp XP!
I also suspect that in time other OSs will be improved to a degree that they pose a real challenge to MS.
PCs and OSs have reached a stage where users want rock solid performance and few annoyances. if MS cannot deliver these criterea, then they are fooling themselves. consumers will not put up with poor performance as they have in the past.
in fairness, I read that Win 7 adresses many complaints against Vista and seems to work well. I like MAC in many ways but I still like MS/OS enough not to switch. I hope MS gets the 'message'.

Rosen Todorovsky

April 9, 2009 05:49 AM

I think you are right. I use W7 as the first beta was released. And i must say that i'm really impressed. Programs run and install faster. It's pretty reliable. I'm using the x64, all programs work, even old W95. So good for MS. And if they cut the price according to the average salary in the country, many will buy one.
Because in Bulgaria the Adobe Design package is 1000 euro more then in Germany...

Hyper User

April 9, 2009 07:10 AM

Windows 7 is undoubtedly the best OS I've used. I've been beta testing this since January and am truly impressed. However I believe that this experience will only be limited to users similar to me. People passionate about new tools and technology, those willing to explore the new features and to learn how to use them, will be very satisfied. The returns on the time invested will only come to those who have learned to use the new tools to their advantage. There is a different population that do not belong to this category. Their response will be different from mine.

george garcous

April 9, 2009 07:33 AM

I have been using W7 for some time and yes, much better than Vista, no doubts. And better than XP I would dare to say.
But what is getting all my love in recent times is KDE, currently in version 4.2 delivers 80% of what I love of W7 and several new things I can simply not find on windows platform.
Worth a try.

Emily

April 9, 2009 07:34 AM

I run Vista. Will it be availible for those whom have Vista, for a small amount of change ? think of the econamey! E-mail me back please!!

Alex Pearson

April 9, 2009 07:43 AM

Windows 7 is an excellent desktop OS just as Windows Server 2008 if a great server OS. I agree that Vista just was a bad step but the core of Windows 7 was built from it.

I use Windows 7 both at home and in my company in production. As a Microsoft reseller I felt it my duty to really put the product through its paces.

Windows 7 is a hit even in beta. The OS is fast and does not have the issues that made Vista a bad step. The User Interface enhancements make for a better user experience by far than XP.

At home I have run a high end flight simulator package against Windows 7 and it runs very well. I have had no issues with drivers for cameras, printers, sounds devices and the like.

So I am sure that the Microsoft bashers out there will have a field day with my comments but I will be recommending Windows 7 from day 1 to my clients.

empirestatebuddy

April 9, 2009 09:05 AM

I'm one of those silent consumers who never really had a problem with Vista, but I've heard so many positive things about Windows 7, I'll probably upgrade soon after it's released.

Gary

April 9, 2009 09:08 AM

Win 7 reminds me of the marketing move recently pulled off by Ford. The Taurus sedan had a good reputation. But Ford restyled the vehicle and changed the name to the 500. Thle car didn't selll, so Ford changed the name back to Taurus, and sales took off.

Dar

April 9, 2009 10:28 AM

There is nothing horribly wrong with these OSes, even it you really don't like windows in general. They all work, Vista may be a bit of a pain but isn't horribly bad, and Win 7 might be nicer, but when I booted Win 7 it was "ho hum, another version of Windows". So the real question becomes, what is in Win 7 to justify the marketplace giving Microsoft another 100's of milllions of dollars?

George Marengo

April 9, 2009 11:48 AM

I thought Vista was so horribly done, which came on my Gateway laptop, that it prompted me to switch to OS X. I do run Fusion with XP running in a virtual machine, to run those Windows apps that don't have a Mac version, but I also have a virtual machine running the Windows 7 beta, and I like it quite a bit. Probably not enough to make me drop my Macs, but enough to consider buying it retail and installing it my my Gateway laptop.

Geno - USA

April 9, 2009 11:50 AM

Is MS going to charge you $200 to fix the mess that was Vista? It does not make me an MS basher to point this out.

Teoh Yi Chie

April 9, 2009 12:08 PM

Technology is about saving time and money. Windows 7's success will depend on how much more it can do better than XP, respect to those two factors

Kev

April 9, 2009 01:13 PM

I AM GOING FOR WINDOWS 7. I HAVE TESTED IT AND TRUST ME EVERYONE THIS WILL BE THE BEST WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEM. APPLE WILL BE SO SCARED. Also I am sick and tired of APPLE Leopard has it a joke of operating system. It good for those people who are newbies. I think of Apple for women users LOL...
Windows users will be back just wait and see how great this windows 7 is. I just can't wait get my hands on the final version. The lines will top Iphone users. Just wait you will see.

Apple one thing to say. Go back to your Grocery store where APPLE belongs. LOL....

flatrock19

April 9, 2009 02:42 PM

I suspect Windows 7 will get much faster corporate adoption that Vista. Businesses might actually be willing to install it on a widespread basis within the first year. Not likely in the first three to six months, but it sounds like people are looking at Windows 7 as Vista with the major problems fixed rather than as a completely new version. It's being treated like customers would treat earlier versions after service pack two came out.

Bozo

April 9, 2009 04:09 PM

I bought Vista Ultimate, and Office 2007, and hated each of them so much I returned them and made the switch to Apple's OS X. The hardware is expensive, and the customer support is great. Not only do I feel the hardware is worthy of the cost, in the following year. I purchased several other Macs, including a 2008 Mac Pro, 2008 Mac Mini, new Unibody MacBook, and most recently a 2009 17" unibody MacBook Pro.

I would only consider OS X for an operating system. I'll never go back to Windows to get poked in the eye with all the crap I've had to endure over the years. Not needing to reboot constantly is enough of a reason. So is the fact I don't need a virus checker to bog my machine down to a crawl.

The OS X unix kernel is rock solid. Apples support has been fabulous--they have sent people to my home to fix a minor cable problem--unbelievable.

The only other option I would consider is a Hackintosh.

Once you see the light, you can never go back to the dark side. take a choice, and chose the wrong one you may save some money, but you will get a poke in the eye on a regular basis. Who wants to live like that?

Mack Baczynski

April 9, 2009 04:40 PM

Just to lay down some background I have used many operating system with quite a bit of experience on each. I have used OSX 8-10.5. Too many variations of linux(by the way KDE is not an Operating system, it is a desktop environment), and windows 95 through Windows 7 7068. I will say that I am VERY PLEASED with windows 7. Things just work and the nice visuals just kind of make you feel good when looking at the screen. Usability is very nice. Although, I honestly never saw a huge problem with vista on my fairly new desktop.
I would change two things however. I like the hover effect that you get when you roll over open windows on the taskbar, but it takes too long. But with a registry entry you can adjust it to any time you want.(I went with 100ms). The other thing i may change is the window decorations. They are pretty much identical to vista. I realize that it doesn't need that to function well as an OS, but to the average user they need something that lets them know they are using a different product.

As far as competing with OSX, I think windows 7 will help for new computer adopters but probably not users who already own their Macs. OSX is good for people starting out and people who have never known windows. They just like OSX. Personally I think the whole Mac crowd is a bit close minded. The OS isn't better, its just different. I would rather use a clean install of ubuntu 8.10 than OSX.

For this situation I believe Microsoft is really playing against its own creation. For most XP is ok and they don't even know what an operating system is. With the right marketing, Windows 7 is strong enough to sway those classic users. Its not a huge difference, but if someone switches, I would say, 8 out of 10 everyday users would be pleased with the experience.

Nice job Microsoft, now get out there and advertise appropriately.

zelrik

April 9, 2009 05:20 PM

If they give Windows7 for free, I'll try it. If not I'll stick with ubuntu.

Andre Da Costa

April 9, 2009 05:36 PM

Bozo, whatever you using it certainly was not Windows. I have been running Windows Vista and Office 2007 since November 2006 and have not had any issues with either. Vista's simplified interface, organization tools and instant search make it a dream to use. Also, its more secure, includes enhanced tools for backup. You also get free apps you have to pay for on the Mac. Apps like Windows Live Essentials allows you manage photos, create home movies, IM, blogging and email, a $79 for that on the Mac side through iLife. Plus you get 25 GBs of free online storage through Skydrive along with free services such as Live Sync and Live Mesh.

Office 2007's interface is so easy to use, everything is there, nothing is hidden, its logical and makes the tools and features much easier to find. Doesn't take more than 10 mins to be up and running with if you have been using past versions of Office for many years. New users will get a hang of it in no time. You should check out the Function Library and BI tools in Excel 2007, vLook up has never been easier.

Cory

April 10, 2009 12:24 PM

umm yeah, Andre, are you aware that iLife comes with new Macs and that Windows Live programs such as Messenger are also available on the Mac through Microsoft's Mactopia?

Mack Baczynski

April 20, 2009 10:47 AM

Once again I want to say that Microsoft is not directly competing with apple here. They are mostly competing against their xp users. They need them to upgrade because there are so many out there. If microsoft could get half of the xp users to upgrade they would gain much more revenue than if they captured every apple sale.