Hulu’s Greatest Hits

Posted by: Douglas Macmillan on March 12, 2009

This month, Hulu turns one. And to celebrate, the joint venture of News Corporation and NBC Universal is pulling back the curtains to reveal which video clips and full-length TV shows from its extensive online collection have been the biggest hit with viewers.

The site-leading videos below provide valuable insight into how Hulu has become the sixth most-visited video site on the Web in such a short time, with over 250 million videos viewed in January according to comScore. While NBC and Fox shows crowd these lists, third-party content like the independently-produced Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog and Obama’s inauguration speech were among the most shared videos on the site.

Hulu has also revealed its most apparent room for growth, naming the top 10 most searched-for shows not hosted on its site. Topping that list are ABC’s Lost, Comedy Central’s South Park, and CW’s Gossip Girl.

Full results, along with video highlights, below. (Note: Hulu did not release data on its most viewed or most discussed videos)

Update (3/12 at 2:55 pm eastern): A few stats have emerged today that help put Hulu’s one-year milestone in perspective:

-According to Nielsen, Hulu surpassed Yahoo! and MySpace to become the second most-watched video site on the Web, going by videos streamed. Still, its 308 million videos streamed per month are light years away from YouTube’s 5.2 billion.

-According to Hulu’s own internal metrics, videos on the site have been embedded 3.9 million times on more than 100,000 websites. Take a look at the lists below and tell me that’s not a lot of Dr. Horrible.

Most E-Mailed Videos

7. Smallville
8. Star Trek
9. Weeds
10. Entourage

Craig

March 12, 2009 1:04 PM

Get HBO and Showtime in on this and Hulu will be the greatest ever! Get an embedded player on my 360 and I will have a difficult time watching live TV.

joey Chang

March 12, 2009 10:35 PM

love watching hulu on my 47 inch tv thru my playstations3 broswer

Rich

March 12, 2009 10:41 PM

They should have more episodes of Family Guy on there. At least switch them more often. That would be my only gripe. Thanks Hulu, you guys are awesome. It'd be cool if they had HBO & Showtime as well.

Dan

March 12, 2009 10:45 PM

I'm boycotting Hulu until they allow their content on Boxee again.

John Davis

March 12, 2009 10:57 PM

Oh yeah you got that right!

RT
www.privacy.at.tc

Mark Simpson

March 12, 2009 11:08 PM

Why is Hulu even being discussed here?... it isn't even on the world wide web. Only a handful of countries can view it.

Wayne

March 12, 2009 11:11 PM

That Neil Patrick Harris video sucked ass.

Hulu rocks, though.

Wayne
www.madlabrador.com

dbg

March 12, 2009 11:38 PM

we like it cuz its free. a few ads aren't a big deal at all, as long as they don't interrupt too much.

we like it cuz the quality is high and we can watch as much as we want any time we want.

we like it cuz it has both new shows and archives of old shows that we used to like. we like the feeling of excitement we get when we think about what kind of cool new or archival content will be coming to hulu.

everyone in the content industry should learn from this. this is internet content distribution done correctly. good job Hulu.

Ted

March 12, 2009 11:48 PM

Hulu is okay for TV shows and such but I like the humor picks they've got on tv1.com cause they cull the best from all sites and my attnetion span for web video is under four minutes long

Wayne Bater

March 13, 2009 12:08 AM

Wayne only wishes his life was better and didn't suck ass. His life's depression is affecting his opinion of things.

Jake

March 13, 2009 12:08 AM

Hulu reeks. Until free downloads are permitted its off my list.

Wayne

March 13, 2009 12:15 AM

Forget what I just said.

Dr. Horrible is awesome, but Hulu sucks.

HuluWatcher

March 13, 2009 12:23 AM

Get showtime and HBO show on Hulu and there would be much less torrenting TV shows.

What would the point be then? There would be no point, it's a lot easier to watch Hulu than download.

Amanda Cheer

March 13, 2009 12:25 AM

I totally love hulu. I only find myself watching television during meals (sometimes) and for live events like award shows, sports, etc.

I just got a laptop with hdmi out and a remote control which is really, really awesome.

If hulu had adult content (yeah, girls like that kinda stuff too!), I don't think I'd visit any site more often.

(.)(.)
/ () \
_ \ '--' / _
{ '-`""""`-' }
`"/ \"`
\ /\ /
_/ /\ \_
{ / \ }

For my adult fix, I'll stick with TubeCams!

Jeremy

March 13, 2009 1:29 AM

Wow Amanda Cheer! I bet you're no way affiliated with the website you mentioned and certainly aren't a spammer!

As far as Hulu goes, it's amazing. There's 3rd party software available that will stream it to your 360/PS3. I'm seriously considering canceling my DirecTV subscription seeing how I watch TV maybe 4 or 5 hours a week.

Melinda

March 13, 2009 1:49 AM

Yahoo! Dr. Horrible rocks! The best shortest musical ever! Joss Whedon should be proud.

Mawu

March 13, 2009 2:48 AM

Wahoo that was great. I wish hulu would put up older seasons. then it would be phenomenal.

when tv.com finally gets in to the kick it may be good but cbs doesn't have a whole lot that I'm interested in

well for the rest of seaons there's still these

Rigged

March 13, 2009 3:19 AM

Get Ad Muncher and hulu.com has no ads at all. ;)

www.admuncher.com

CHRISdotTODD

March 13, 2009 10:01 AM

Come back to Boxee

P

March 14, 2009 2:15 AM

Boxee!!!

Dean Marino

April 3, 2009 12:19 AM

Boycott HULU. No non-browser interface? No audience.