Why I Stopped Using Google's Chrome Browser... and Why I've Started Again

Posted by: Rob Hof on October 23, 2008

Like a lot of people, I loved the speed of Google’s Chrome browser, so I used it a fair amount when it came out. But soon I discovered that it didn’t play so well with some sites. MyYahoo, for instance, came out garbled, or it wouldn’t load various modules. Even more of a problem, as I opened several tabs in succession, going on to the next before the current one loaded (hey, it saves a few seconds), the ones I left often wouldn’t load. I’d have to reload them, sometimes several times.chromelogo.jpg

So, I gradually stopped using Chrome, reluctantly. Guess I’m not alone. Silicon Alley Insider notes that Chrome’s market share is slowly dropping.

But the Chrome folks at Google seem to have kept working on this thing. Now, the tabs seem to load the first time, MyYahoo comes up fine (yay!), and I haven’t run across problems on most other sites the last few days. So, I’m back on Chrome and we’ll see how it does. I still need some key add-ons I use on Firefox, such as a button for del.icio.us—and how about a print button for us lazy people? But as long as Chrome is speedy and loads pages correctly, that’s enough for me to use it along with Firefox and occasionally Microsoft’s Internet Explorer.

Just one remaining problem: What’s with the jumping pages on Allthingsd.com? Kara? Maddening! So, I guess Google has some more work to do….

Damion Hankejh

October 24, 2008 10:51 AM

Google should have built a browser yearrrs ago. Sure, Chrome is fast today, but it doesn't do anything spectacularly new - and it's ugly. Powder blue? Blechh! Once plugin support arrives, software bloat and sluggishness will follow. Trying to solve problems that people don't have isn't much of a strategy - who needs yet another browser to select from?

Chris van der Walt

October 24, 2008 11:43 AM

What people seem to forget is that Chrome is still in Beta - meaning it's not without bugs. For me the most noticeable issues are that there is no auto-complete (which I miss dearly) and the inappropriate auto-filling of username and password.

I'm never looking back. I'm recommending Chrome to all my customers, as its speed advantage far outweighs the bugs - which Google will doubtlessly fix before the official first-version launch anyway.

JohnJ

October 24, 2008 3:12 PM

Big Brother Google's primary business is the collection of personal information for advertising purposes. The company gives me the creeps, and I am not about to have any of their software on my computer.

Andy

October 25, 2008 3:44 AM

i think Chrome is the best Browser ever, it beats all the others hands down, i mean just intergrating the search and address bar into one is just so obvious, anyway, my only gripe is ive not got a clue how to print sections of a webpage with Chrome so if anyone knows then please let me know :)

James

October 25, 2008 4:02 PM

Hey I think google did a great job. I used to use IE7 and it loads 5x faster than that did. Plus I like the searching in the address bar plus the saving of passwords. I dont know why any of you said auto complete didnt work. Works perfectly on mine. as far as my rating goes... I think it blows internet explorer out of the water hands down

Tim Daly

October 25, 2008 9:03 PM

Their issues are well beyond usability. Google Chrome's issue with user penetrations are huge. When you dig deeper into their user set, you'll find they've been unable to attract females, 55+ aged persons, and less educated folks in the rural settings. These are huge consumer segment that have some of the highest loyalty around. Without them, they are doomed.

Chalk this up as another major failure for Google to diversify its business offerings.

ddailey

October 25, 2008 9:46 PM

Beta is the key word here. Compare Chrome Beta to IE Beta (in a typical release) and I suspect the number of bugs will be no greater. The speed is commendable (see http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/Benchmarks.htm) -- I'm not likely to use Chrome much until their SVG support includes SMIL and filters, and at least gets part of the way up to Opera's support, but the speed is very compelling. Webkit has been moving very fast in the past two years; both Google and Apple are taking advantage in a big way.

Mara Copeland

October 27, 2008 11:48 PM

I love Google. It's simple, fast, and I've thought so since 2001 when I first started using their search engine.

About the "Big Brother" allegations: In my opinion, anything information you enter into any field on the internet is public domain. If a person isn't prepared to deal with that, they should go back to writing out checks and using snail mail. Sad but true.

Sketchee

October 28, 2008 4:23 PM

Early adoption of most any platform is going to result in problems. For now I'll keep Chrome on my radar. I switch between it and Firefox. We'll see how the open source community development works out these problems

fria

November 22, 2008 9:03 PM

Google's definition of beta is meaningless. Beta in any other software means a release candidate is soon to follow, but Google will keep it's software in beta forever. Just look at Gmail or Picassa. It's a cop out that allows them not to be held accountable.

Harikumar

January 11, 2009 8:43 AM

used all browsers, from IE to Safari ... but Chrome is the best.

HB

January 21, 2009 1:21 PM

" In my opinion, anything [sic] information you enter into any field on the internet is public domain. If a person isn't prepared to deal with that, they should go back to writing out checks and using snail mail. Sad but true."

This has to be the most ignorant thing I've ever seen written online, and that's saying something! So this person thinks that if you decide to pay your bills online, anybody and everybody should have the right to see your personal information and financial statements becasue "its online"?!? I don't think you're going to find many people that are agreeing with that sentiment.

Bob

April 15, 2009 7:10 AM

The only problem I have experienced has been attaching files in Yahoo Mail. It seems to hang every time. Does anyone have a fix?

Billy Icon

August 18, 2009 6:43 AM

Yeh! Dont use Google Chrome

Renz

November 26, 2009 11:06 PM

Google Chrome is stable now. Try to update your version. I never experienced any problems with google chrome ever since i started using the latest version. I admit, when I first tried chrome, I got disappointed. It's unstable. but now, it is performing well.

www.renzcentral.com