VIDEO: Sergey Brin on Why Google's Launching a Browser

Posted by: Rob Hof on September 02, 2008

Google’s Chrome browser is now officially available here. I’m afraid I haven’t had a chance to try it, though I hope to a little later; meantime, here’s an early review from Walt Mossberg of the Journal, who has had a week to test it out. He says it’s still rough around the edges (which is exactly what I expected early reviews to say).

Following is a video of a couple of questions I had a chance to ask Sergey Brin, Google’s cofounder and president of technology, after the demo at the Googleplex today. I had trouble with editing software, so there’s a piece of a question before my two questions, then a couple more from other reporters. (Technology ain’t working so well for me today….)

Update: Apologies, for some reason I can’t yet divine, the video is no longer available on YouTube. I’ll re-post elsewhere if I can’t resolve it. You can now also see Google’s own video of the Chrome press event here.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

Jan

September 3, 2008 12:57 AM

thanx for the video. very intersting. cheers,
Jan

Roman

September 3, 2008 04:59 AM

Did he really say "we're still a small company"?

martin

September 3, 2008 05:18 AM

Sergey get some sleep, those bags under your eyes are nearly hitting your chin

stickernation

September 3, 2008 06:03 AM

your line of questioning is sort of silly considering you're asking the founder of Google if he fears entering a market years after others think it had peaked.

Google launched years after everyone thought the portal war was over and done. Google launches race cars, as its search home page was years ago. The Google search race car - clean, efficient, powerful - caught up with the minivans launched years earlier (yahoo, altavista) in short order and nothing has seriously come out since (it's integrated into Firefox after all - as if Firefox doesn't owe Google its revenue stream, right?)

Google Chrome - wow, awesome brand name. cool beans, will have to try it out

- srini
stickernation.com

roger

September 3, 2008 07:50 AM

What's with the hair? Don't they offer free haircuts at the amazing Googleplex?

kevin

September 3, 2008 09:27 AM

It is 57 times, faster than IE7 ,take that microsoft V8 Javascript engine rocks.

Ryan

September 3, 2008 09:35 AM

@Roger: Free haircuts probably hit the same trash can as the day care and food services at Googleplex.

John S

September 3, 2008 09:42 AM

He said they had been working on this for a while?? Are they owned by Microsoft now? How long does it take with a browser that uses WebKit which is already out there?
You would think they created this from scratch. Even Microsoft is faster then that. Maybe they need to start consolidating their projects and get some things out there that are not beta. Except for changing the UI and maybe adding a feature or two what else can you do with a browser?
I am not saying Chrome is a bad browser, but it certainly does not really bring to the table anything better then what we already have. Its just another browser web sites will have to contend with for compatibility.

Joe

September 3, 2008 09:43 AM

Firefox is perfect, why do we need yet another browser? Why don't you contribute your talented code to firefox?!

Rob Gonda

September 3, 2008 10:04 AM

The guys at TakeMeToYourLeader have a slightly different opinion: http://takemetoyourleader.com/2008/09/01/google-chrome-the-google-browser/

Stephane Cheikh

September 3, 2008 10:04 AM

I tested Chrome and I actually made a post on http://enterprisecollab.wordpress.com with a review and a comparison to Flock, which is for me the BEST browser these days...

stack

September 3, 2008 10:22 AM

That guy looks very tired :)

Patrick

September 3, 2008 10:25 AM

What about China?

fredo

September 3, 2008 10:53 AM

He probably looks tired because he just came back from Burning Man

Kurt

September 3, 2008 10:58 AM

It would have been out faster, but the google programmers were busy playing vollyball, doing laundry, playing pool, taking naps, chowing down on free meals, working out at the onsite gym....Which reminds me, gotta update the resume.

Jiff Johnson

September 3, 2008 11:41 AM

LOL, dude sounds like a politician. Google launched a browser because its just one more arena they can control. One day Google will probably rule the whole universe!

Jiff
www.privacy.mx.tc

Martyn Jackson

September 3, 2008 12:17 PM

SERGEY WHY THE DECISION TO RELEASE A BROWSER NOW?

REAL ANSWER: Because we want to data mine our users, gather all the info we can possibly get from their browsing habits, etc so we can fire targetted ads at them even more so. :-D

Walter

September 3, 2008 12:22 PM

"I am not saying Chrome is a bad browser, but it certainly does not really bring to the table anything better then what we already have."

I totally disagree the multi-process design is a major step in the right direction, and required a rebuild from the ground up, it's not something that could be added to firefox as an extension.

I like Firefox a lot, so Chrome will have a lot of ground to make up as far as functionality and extensions, but to me they appear to be moving the industry in the right direction. Will be interesting to see how Microsoft, Mozilla, Apple, and Opera respond going forward... hopefully they all respond with major arch improvements that benefits everyone.

Microsoft of course has incentive not to, since they actually would prefer the web to slow down in it's gain in importance, since they don't have the monopoly they do on the desktop... Can IE keep it's market share as it become more and more inferior? I just don't know, it's already inferior yet many people simply use the OS default without investigating alternatives.

Arjun

September 3, 2008 01:40 PM

All this is great !!
But this came to my attention recently -
Google Chromes License Agreement claims ownership of everything you create using Chrome - your emails, your posts etc.

For those who didn't read the license agreement... Go read it!! Section 11.

Emeka

September 3, 2008 01:56 PM

If it is from GOOGLE, it must be good; believe me, I have been running CHROME side by side of IE and Firefox and CHROME without the bells and whistles of other browsers beats them hands down.

It is too early to conclude; however, for basic web browsing, I have found a landing.

Emeka

Matt

September 3, 2008 05:29 PM

This from the people who helped the Chinese government hunt down and imprison dissidents and who also agreed to block words like 'democracy' from google's China search engine. I wouldn't trust anything from Google.

Me

September 4, 2008 02:17 AM

I can't scroll up in chrome ! very annoying

Sean from Boston

September 4, 2008 07:22 AM

Does anyone know the question the female reporter asked him? It's towards the end and she mentions something about "Microsoft" and "2009".

Rob Hof

September 4, 2008 09:25 AM

Sean from Boston: The reporter asked: "Did the fact that they are going to be leaving government oversight in '09 have anything to do" with the release of Chrome?

Harry

September 4, 2008 04:44 PM

Sergey is a total hotty even with the bags under his eyes.

Rob Hof

September 4, 2008 04:49 PM

OK, to everyone here and on YouTube who notes the bags under Sergey's eyes: I'd actually blame the lighting rather than whatever he did at Burning Man, since the bags are really accentuated by the lighting. Apologies, Sergey! But, the hair: Yeah, that did look like a serious case of bedhead. Camera's not lying there....

Jim

September 16, 2008 03:07 PM

Chrome is still unstable, have been trying it for a few days, sometime Chrome gives a 'down' page saying it can't reach certain pages although i have no problem with other browsers, so it still have some problems to work out, but otherwise the innovations are impressive

-Jim