Sprint to Customers: You Are Fired

Posted by: Olga Kharif on July 5, 2007

Sprint is not just revamping its image and its marketing campaign, but also shaking out its customer base. According to some blogs, the company just sent a letter to a bunch of customers notifying them that it’s dumping them. These customers’ offense? Calling Sprint’s customer service a lot. That’s exactly the sort of message Sprint needed to send out to boost its customer retention, doesn’t it (just kidding).

Have you gotten a letter like that from Sprint, or another wireless carrier? I’d love to hear from you. Please e-mail me as soon as possible at olga_kharif@businessweek.com. Thanks for your help!

Dave

July 11, 2007 4:11 PM

Amazing! The reverse firing!

Curessa g

July 18, 2007 9:22 PM

I am cancelling sprint i have been with them for 4 years and the only reason that i have stayed with them is that i love their phones that's it. i have spent hours on the phone many of times with their "Customer Service" line over these last couple of years. And yeah it is easy to walk away when you don't have to pay an early termination fee. Just over the last couple of days i have spent over 5 hours to accomplish absolutely nothing with their customer service line being transferred from one dept to the next i even argued with some reps about that junk, but even that didn't get my question as to why my bill is so high answered. And speaking to someone who speaks english forget it, speaking to a supervisor for get it!!!!!! I have FIRED SPRINT because i am sick of their crappy none service maybe if i had called enough they would have fired me and i wouldn't be sad i pay $150.00 a month for crappy service i may have gotten a credit 2 years ago when they really messed my bill up but they are a joke and they are very expensive and anyone thinking of going to them FORGET IT!!!!!! FROM A DISSATIFIED CUSTOMER.

Taryn Hickey

July 29, 2007 12:41 PM

I have been a customer of sprint for four years in San Antonio, Tx, which is one of the ten largest cities in the nation. Not only do I hear my voice echo in my phone (which has to do with crappy service and not the phone)but I am constantly in roaming service. What? How does a major city not have cell phone service. In addition, they didn't inform me that when I renewed my contract I actually opened a whole new account. Furthermore, a sales rep told me that my insurance from my first phone would transfer to my new phone which didn't happen. Sprint blames the customer for not being aware of such changes, but if we were cell phone pro's we wouldn't need a carrier. Also not telling a customer about changes is a crime, because omission is not a replacement for honesty. I hope that sprint eventually falls apart, and since our country is entering a recession maybe my dream will come true. Sprint is truly "big bussiness" running on classical man theory. They just want to make all the money they can, and don't care if in the long run their customer base has high turnover rates. It may be a short term solution, but in the end sprint will lose. Also I suggest that everybody make a complaint to their better business bureau.

Ben Michalski

August 3, 2007 4:20 PM

When Sprint bought Nextel I knew at that time it would be the end of a real pioneer cell phone service. Nextel is finished. Sprint is beyond the absolute worst cell service...it's customer service is incompetent, it's contracts are remnicent of "shylocks" and "loan sharks". I am canceling my service aftre 10 years being with Nextel. Sprint should be brought to it's knees by the general public..but alas...we are way to stupid as a culture of American Idiots who follow way more than lead.

Alex

August 28, 2007 5:53 PM

How many times do you have to call to get one of these letters to get you out of a contract? Paid off account? No Termination? Sure, to get rid of these folks I'd take it. I see for Q3 of '07 Sprint has again lost market share. They really need to get rid of more customers to fix the problem. No offense Curessa, but I hate their phones not because of the phones but because they won't push the manufacturers to build CDMA phones along with GSM, so we have to wait... months... I can see why you'd have to call their "customer service" multiple times, you can ask the same question to three different people and get three totally different answers. Isn't the market supposed to fix itself? Yesh, we're stupid.

Unamed

September 12, 2007 9:52 AM

I work for customer service for Sprint and I exactly know why customer service is so terrible for Sprint! I love Sprint and its a great cell phone provider and a great place to work but I feel bad for the customer. Even though I work for Sprint I have experienced bad customer service.

AR

October 10, 2007 7:00 PM

Sprint has to have the worst customer support of any corporation I have ever been associated with. They have refused to provide backup to my request to substantiate their high charges, put me on hold for up to an hour each time only to be told by their representative that they have no authority to make changes, and not returned phone calls when promised. To make matters worse, they continue to apply their monthly charge even when they discontinued my service. Their abuses are so incredible I just wait in fear about what abuse they will dole out next.

Jeff Ingram

October 24, 2007 10:14 PM

I am currently a sprint nextel employee and I would just like to make a comment about us "dumping our subsrcibers" Sprint have some of he most easy credit checks in the wireless industry and the most reasonable deposits still have high quality wireless service, which has tended to attract many high maintiance customers. Many of these customers were calling customer care up to 300 times a month! We have told them, and told them again but they simply dont listen. This type of behavior ties up our representatives and tripples everyone elses wait time. Some of these customers are abusive to reps and making it more difficult to resolve thier issues, this causeing much of the frustration that you have been reading about. This was an attempt to help us increase our services to our valued customers. Customers need to remember that Sprint employees are people too and we will bend over backward to help you if are dilligent and reasonable.

Hmmmm

October 28, 2007 4:59 PM

Well, so what your telling me is that I only have to call Sprint 300 times in a month and they will FIRE ME??? If thats the case consider the proposition DONE!!!

As long as I dont have to pay the 200 dollar early temination fee and get out of Sprint's stanglehold on my cell phone existance it's more than worth it!!! Sprint has really gone down hill in the past couple years and I have been with them for the last 7 years.

I went on sprint.com and they have some sprint online chat thing with a customer care rep. After asking why I should stay with sprint, the rep said, becasue we offer the most flexibility. I almost fell out of my chair. This is the least flexible company I have dealt with, and I cant wait until september 08 to be rid of them forever.

no use for sprint

November 7, 2007 5:58 PM

One only has to look at the incoherent ramblings of Jeff Ingram to identify one of the primary roots of Sprint's problems and - going out on a limb here - I'm guessing English is not his primary language.

Probably don't have to worry about all those pesky overseas charges when you're the carrier.

NO NAME NEEDED

December 20, 2007 11:49 PM

I LOVE SPRINT! AS LONG AS YOU GET SOMEONE WHO SPEAKS ENGLISH AND YOU DON'T CUSS THE REP OUT AND YOUR ISSUE IS VALID...9 TIMES OUTTA 10 YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU WANT. HOWEVER, SOME OF Y'ALL THINK THAT IF YOU CUSS AND YELL YOU WILL GET YOUR WAY AND THIS IS CLEARLY NOT THE CASE. YOU WILL DIG YOURSELF SO DEEP IN A HOLE TRYING TO GET THAT CREDIT THAT BY THE TIME YOU CALL THE 8TH TIME YOU WILL BE WANTING TO CANCEL WHEN ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS BE NICE... :)

Ignatius

March 15, 2008 8:52 AM

There is no question that Sprint customer service aims to confuse and irritate the customer. I called in December to see about their $10 per month unlimited text messaging plan. I text (or used to) to a friend in the UK many times a day and at .20 per text it wouldn't take long to realize a savings. At least that was my hope. I asked the woman on the other end if the unlimited text plan for $10 included the UK. "Yes," she said, in an accent vaguely reminiscent of Charro. So I signed up. When got the first bill I had been charged not $10 for texting, but $89, more than my monthly service fee. I called an after an interminable wait got a hold a of rep whose English was slightly more comprehensible than Charro's. Explained my predicament and he said the text plan DID NOT include the UK. "The other rep said it did," I said. "We have no notes on that." "Why should I pay because the other rep takes notes poorly. And why would I sign up for the service if it did not include the UK since a simple glance at my bill will show that the UK is the only place I text." I finally got half taken off and the guy had the balls to ask if I was satisfied. "Like a cheap whore," I said.

Happy Consumer

May 3, 2008 9:20 PM

I have been a customer of Sprint for over 9 years and now have 3 phones on the plan. I find it ironic to hear that Sprint down fall is customer service because for as long as i have had them I have always told people I have stayed because I thought they had the best customer service. I hope they can turn around the company because i actually do not like Verizon or AT&T customer service.

Horrid Service

March 9, 2009 8:36 PM

I did what i thought would be a simple task... added a phone to make a family plan. This was the most complicated thing in the world for these folks. First the order got lost (even with the order #). Then i had to reorder over the phone. I spoke to 4 different reps... each giving me a different answer to my questions. Oh.. did I mention they shipped the second phone to the wring address. i have great credit, and I think Sprint needs to start reaping the consequences for such horrid service. Most of my family and friends have gone to Verizon or T-Mobile. I'll be following.

Jeff

April 2, 2009 10:17 AM

No matter how polite and patient you are, in my opinion, Sprint will try to 'wear you down' with interminable wait times with well-meaning, sometimes international reps, who will do nothing except empathize with you, taking up fifteen minutes of your time, before they conclude that they can't help you, and finally tries to send you to somebody who has the authority to make the change. Then you get to start over again; or they promise to have such a person call you; then the call never comes!!

In my case, they charged me for TWO family plans at the same time, for over SIX MONTHS. Added to a' la' carte charges for texting, roaming, etc., which should have been covered on my 'real' plan.

This should be a simple fix; it is still not taken care of.

Incredibly, these people acknowledge the error. They know that they owe me hundreds of dollars (I am requesting credit only) but have not accomplished this.

They are risking the defection of another customer, worth thousands of dollars over the last decade. The phones are fine, the service is fine, the only reason is customer service !

Enjoy spending hours of 'quality time' with people of many nations, none of whom can or will solve your problem ?!!?

Then go with Sprint !!!