Posted by: Olga Kharif on June 12, 2007
Yesterday, Qualcomm applied to the federal circuit for an emergency stay of the International Trade Commission’s decision barring importation of new phones with the company’s chips. So far, we have heard nothing from the court. And that makes me worried.
I remember quite well another recent case, Verizon vs. Vonage. Following an unfavorable court ruling, Vonage immediately applied for an emergency stay and was granted it the very same day — after hours. I wonder why the same has not happened with Qualcomm. Perhaps the court does not see the matter as urgent as Vonage’s; after all, the ITC decision should not have an immediate impact on Qualcomm. Perhaps the court does not want to grant Qualcomm a stay. I will be seriously worried if we hear nothing by end of day today.