6 Reasons Why I Won't Buy the iPhone

Posted by: Rob Hof on June 26, 2007

gallery1_20070621.png
… yet. I’d really like one, given the fairly glowing reviews. But I can’t get past these obstacles, and I wonder how many other people won’t either:

1) I just got a Treo with a one-year Verizon plan, with the usual penalties for cancelling it. And this guide to getting out of such contracts isn’t exactly reassuring, since two of the ways involve joining the military or dying, which can be redundant these days.

2) It’s still pretty expensive at $499 and up. Heck, I’m still an iPod Shuffle guy. I still might be willing to spring for it, except that…

3) … it’s Version 1.0, and while Apple does 1.0 about as well as anybody most of the time, I’d still rather wait for the kinks to be worked out. I’m not alone here.

4) It only runs on AT&T. I’ve had the best luck with Verizon on voice, at least, and I gather AT&T’s Edge data network is relatively slow. So I’d rather wait until I get a choice beyond a carrier that vies with Sprint for worst Consumer Reports rating in many cities.

5) It’s probably going to take a good long while before my company supports putting our Outlook email on it. For this kind of money, I want one device that does just about everything.

6) Possessing a cool gadget of any kind has zero effect on the state of my ego.

On the other hand, maybe I wouldn’t look too bad in fatigues….

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

PXLated

June 26, 2007 08:31 PM

Looks like you'll be waiting a long time Rob, #4 puts you five years out right there. #2 (cheap) and #6 (boring) probably puts you out all together.
;-)

Mark

June 27, 2007 12:35 AM

For me . . it's all about the battery, (place favorite aspersion here for technology developers.)! :-)
Every time I begin to drool, the red flag goes up and I snap back to reality. The logistics and inconveniences of that forgotten backwater technology of battery power isn't worth the cost or trouble.

Joshua Holtt

June 27, 2007 12:37 AM

Well...you could buy an HTC (AT&T) 8525, does everythiing the iphone does, minus the cool interface and web browser. Also, it has the support for outlook, and has faster internet than Verizon Dsl!! Further, to go all with you being cheap, it costs 300 dollars, and a 2 gig micro sd costs like 60$ I live in Jacksonville, and can watch my brother's sling box at full capacity anywhere in the city!! iphone, why are you so half cool, no 3g, no mms, no video, no video share calling, this phone is barely a new at&t phone; yet, like most gadgets, the good ones get overlooked for the "cool" ones...

Jimmy

June 27, 2007 02:12 AM

These were good reasons..... six months ago.

dg

June 27, 2007 02:48 AM

The AT&T thing is most scary to me.

The good news is given how long you've waited to buy a Mac, at least now you can get one with leopard.

You know how they have little candy beepers and cellphones? I think maybe you could start with some sort of candy or gum iPhone.

Mark

June 27, 2007 11:33 AM

I don't think it is fair to say that because Rob doesn't want to spend $500 or more on cell phone that he is cheap. 500 bucks is a lot of money.

Also, I don't think it is fair to say that if someone doesn't have the latest phone or tech accessory that they are boring. I mean come on, get a life. It's just a stupid phone and if you need this to feel fulfilled, then there are other issues in play.

hardman

June 27, 2007 10:47 PM

It looks like most of you guys aren't going to be the one in a hundred that Apple needs to get their target of 1% of the market. But I'll bet if we asked 100 cellphone users, at least one will buy an iPhone in the next 18 months.

Becky

July 2, 2007 03:27 PM

I think the biggest reason I won't get an iPhone is b/c I don't want to be that connected. Sometimes, you just need a break. If I spent that much money on something like the iPhone I'd *have* to use it and then I'd never have down time.

Former_ATTWS_employee

July 2, 2007 06:54 PM

Because it's AT&T - period. A bottom-of-the-pack carrier with the slowest data speeds, deplorable customer service, and idiotic “leadership” that doesn’t have a clue. Why else would the pathetic failure of the company get a major write up in the Seattle newspaper? I am proud to say I contributed heavily to that article.

Starr Million Baker

July 2, 2007 10:28 PM

Rob, a big reason that should also be on your list is that Apple failed to implement Bluetooth worth using - yes, it has the version to connect a Bluetooth headset for mono hands-free talking both to earpiece and car, but that's it - no way to send photos wirelessly via Bluetooth to a printer or laptop and, completely silly, no way to connect stereo headphones to wirelessly listen to music from the iPod function. iPhone competitors - music phones from Nokia, Samsung and the new Helio - all allow for this convenient way to listen to music. A big miss from Apple in my book. (full disclosure before you hunt me down - I do PR for the Bluetooth SIG, but I am also a huge user and lover of the tech and this is sincerely disappointing)