Posted by: Rob Hof on June 26, 2007
1) I just got a Treo with a one-year Verizon plan, with the usual penalties for cancelling it. And this guide to getting out of such contracts isn’t exactly reassuring, since two of the ways involve joining the military or dying, which can be redundant these days.
2) It’s still pretty expensive at $499 and up. Heck, I’m still an iPod Shuffle guy. I still might be willing to spring for it, except that…
4) It only runs on AT&T. I’ve had the best luck with Verizon on voice, at least, and I gather AT&T’s Edge data network is relatively slow. So I’d rather wait until I get a choice beyond a carrier that vies with Sprint for worst Consumer Reports rating in many cities.
5) It’s probably going to take a good long while before my company supports putting our Outlook email on it. For this kind of money, I want one device that does just about everything.
6) Possessing a cool gadget of any kind has zero effect on the state of my ego.
On the other hand, maybe I wouldn’t look too bad in fatigues….