Bloomberg Anywhere Remote Login Bloomberg Terminal Demo Request


Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.


Financial Products

Enterprise Products


Customer Support

  • Americas

    +1 212 318 2000

  • Europe, Middle East, & Africa

    +44 20 7330 7500

  • Asia Pacific

    +65 6212 1000


Industry Products

Media Services

Follow Us

Bloomberg Customers

Yahoo! Buys Right Media (Big Surprise)

Posted by: Rob Hof on April 30, 2007

When Yahoo! bought 20% of Right Media last October, some folks wondered why it didn’t buy the whole shebang, and figured that would happen before long. So it did—Yahoo! announces today that it has acquired the other 80% of the online advertising exchange for a fairly hefty $680 million.

It’s another escalation of the war for online advertising, particularly between Yahoo! and Google, which recently announced plans to acquire online ad serving company DoubleClick. In fact, DoubleClick recently said it would create a similar ad exchange. Right Media gives Yahoo! a way to sell and broker ads outside its own sites. Not to mention, the acquisition is a chance for Yahoo! to take a shot at Google’s famously black-box advertising system. Yahoo! CEO Terry Semel said in a statement: “We believe that Yahoo!’s open approach is a clear differentiator from others in the industry.”

The rap on exchanges is that currently many are handling mostly remnant, or nonprime, inventory, and that larger advertisers and publishers may be loathe to give up control to an exchange. Pretty soon, we’ll find out.

Post a comment



Bloomberg Businessweek writers Peter Burrows, Cliff Edwards, Olga Kharif, Aaron Ricadela, and Douglas MacMillan, dig behind the headlines to analyze what’s really happening throughout the world of technology. Tech Beat covers everything from tech bellwethers like Apple, Google, and Intel and emerging new leaders such as Facebook to new technologies, trends, and controversies.



BW Mall - Sponsored Links

Buy a link now!