What's a Better Name for Apple's iPhone?

Posted by: Rob Hof on January 12, 2007

Some commenters on my previous post on the iPhone took Cisco to task for taking Apple to court on the name Cisco believes it owns. Others thought iPhone sounds kinda dated anyway. So, what do you think it should be called? iFon? Apple Phone? iSco Phone? I’m sure you can do better. (And actually, why use a phone-related name at all, if it’s so much more than a phone?)

On another note, I wonder if it’s too late for the City of San Francisco to sue Cisco?

You Mon Tsang

January 12, 2007 3:08 PM

This device is way more than a phone. In fact, the phone may be the 3rd or 4th most interesting thing about the device. So perhaps "iConnect" to emphasize connectivity. Or something even bigger, like "iWorld".

Michael

January 12, 2007 3:16 PM

How about iDo? It's the perfect name for people who are wedded to their gadgets. :-)

Mike Reardon

January 12, 2007 10:08 PM

Rebranding can be rough. They may want to give this quickly to IDEO, before Myspace and YouTube do the rebranding on the iPhone.

Phillip Sellers

January 12, 2007 11:13 PM

My offering: Apple "Slice". "Slice" for short. Great business moniker. clever. smart. in keeping with "Apple" culture and family of words (ie: Macintosh)

Call me on my Slice.

I want a Slice.

My Slice is nice. Slice it to me. Slice it. Give me a Slice.

Mohan Bavirisetty

January 13, 2007 7:07 PM

My suggestion would be to drop the iPhone name - rightfully, it belongs to Cisco. In stead, they should rebrand it as iMobile or i-Mobile provided no one else has claim to these names. They should also consider name like i-Podium. After all, this kind of device will be a stage or showcase for spectacular feats down the road!

Fer

January 15, 2007 2:38 AM

I believe it should be named Comphone since it does what a computer does. Call me on my Comphone.

Joe

January 18, 2007 1:03 PM

How about i-Overspent, or i-Paid 600 dollars for a new i-Pod?

Bow