Tired of Unwanted SMS Messages and Cell Phone Calls? Help Is On Its Way

Posted by: Olga Kharif on November 21, 2006

Like many others, I often receive unwanted SMS messages. What’s frustrating about the experience is, my phone doesn’t offer me an option to block a sender, or to refuse to receive SMS messages altogether. Doesn’t offer it yet, that is.

Today, I talked to Martin Dunsby, general manager of global services at Openwave, which provides software for the majority of the world’s cell phones. And Dunsby believes that U.S. carriers will start implementing software allowing cell phone users to better manage their presence, contacts and incoming and outgoing calls and SMS in 2007.

What should you expect? If you are a user of a VoIP phone, allowing you to check voice mails on your PC, send certain callers directly to voice mail, and get Instant Messenger notifications of incoming calls, you won’t be surprised to find the same features on your mobile. Such services for cell phones are already implemented in Europe. It’s about time they came to the U.S.

matt robison

March 25, 2008 10:00 AM

im a customer at u.s cellular and i have a motorola rockr i got unlimited easyedge access but i cant connect to openwave internet browser setup is incomplete wat do i do ???????????

Utext

May 11, 2008 12:59 PM

The best way to combat unwanted SMS SPAM is to file a complaint with all of these organizations:

• FCC (http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html)
• CSCA (http://www.usshortcodes.com/csc_support.html)
• MMA (http://mmaglobal.com/modules/article/view.article.php/1170)

If you unknowingly opted into a short code program by texting a keyword to a certain phone number, you should be able to reply to any message received from that phone number with the word STOP. This should end all unwanted messages if that company is running a legal and legitimate short code program. Otherwise, you should file a complaint with the organizations above and make sure to include the phone number the unwanted messages are coming from.

mobi yard

May 17, 2008 4:27 AM

wow, that was great post.. thanx for sharing the same...
Mobile Social networking

Werner Kemp

June 12, 2008 8:45 AM

How to stop or block all unwanted sms messages sending to my mobile phone number .Whitch freeware program are there to download to my cellphone to block these unwanted sms mesrages

ROWENA WRIGHT

October 29, 2008 3:43 PM

TIRED OF UNWANTED CALLS.

S P Lalan

February 5, 2009 10:43 PM

In two days, I got more than 60 SMS messages from mobile no: 09878395013 (India) sent by Makaan.com in connection with their property show at Kochi on 7th & 8th Feb.I am tired of this.Can you take action against this firm ? Thank you S P Lalan My mobile no: is 09349222525

Jeff

August 31, 2009 5:28 AM

OMFG i singed up to Triviali and i was doing it for a survey. i texted STOP...BUT the sending failed! is there any other way to block them from sending messages to you? BTW: my service provider is 3 network and after the sending fails they usually sends 2 or 3 messages saying "some of the allowances within yor account have run out". DID I RUN OUTTA CREDIT OR SUMTHIN?????