Vonage: More Bad News

Posted by: Olga Kharif on October 31, 2006

After a while, criticizing Vonage feels like kicking a defenseless dog. Alas, Vonage just reported its third-quarter numbers, and while the Street louded a narrower-than-expected loss, I see plenty to worry about in the results.

The company suffered from higher churn and lower-than-expected subscriber growth. I bet that Vonage’s decision to make its subscribers-IPO investors pay up didn’t help the company make any friends (And, by the way, the stock is 60% off its IPO highs.) Vonage’s execs also admitted faults with the company’s ad campaign.

What I found most worrisome, however, was that the Web-calling company’s customers acquisition costs, already high, have creeped up. In the second quarter, Vonage spent $239 to acquire a new user. In the third quarter, that number shot up by $15. At the same time, the number of months a customer stays with Vonage has declined due to increased competition in the Web-calling market, bringing its total lifetime value per customer down by $10, to $324 as compared to $334 in the second quarter, per UBS estimates.

If these trends continue, I don’t see how Vonage is ever going to make money. I’d say, Vonage needs to take radical steps, now.

Lucille Spencer

December 12, 2006 10:00 PM

It maybe because of the very bad service and customer service reps. who can't speak ENGLISH!!!!
We tried to cancel the service after only 10 days of no service, because they didn't tell us that it dosen't work with Hughes sat. Then they are giving us the run around about the 30 day money back GUARANTEE!!!
We cancel the service and it took Vonage will over 2 weeks to switch our number to AT&T, and now they are saying that it's our problem that the number wasn't switched in time. So now Vonage charged me an activation fee, first month service, and a $99.95 disconnect fee. So what planet is Vonage on?

monica driver

December 20, 2006 3:38 PM

Vonage is terrible. I was hung up on. I never used the service because I did not have DSL and on top on never using the service they are charging $39.00 to disconnect the service.

Brian Stegner

December 23, 2006 7:51 AM

I've been w/Vonage for over 4 years now.

I called India with a problem, one night at about 9:30 Eastern time, and the girl took my hardware complaint and said they'd get right on it. When I got to work at 8am the next morning, a new piece of gear was already sitting on my desk. Not too shabby.

Let me explain something to the misinformed and self-important: Doing zero research (say, ordering a service that won't work with the crappy latency involved in satellite internet hook-ups), and then calling Tech Support with a bad attitude and a bit of racism thrown in, is a prescription for disappointment, and well-deserved poor results.

Boo hoo hoo. Garbage attitude IN, garbage attitude OUT. Next.

Alyson

January 7, 2007 9:41 PM

I have to agree -- I'm stunned the first two commenters didn't understand that you need a cable or DSL system to use the service and apparently aren't embarrassed enough not to post their mistake on a tech site.

Regardless, Vonage has been here and there for us. We've had it for about a year and a half now, and for the first year or so, we had zero problems. It was just excellent. Then after the botched IPO and super-saturated marketing campaign, our service issues started cropping up.

As far as customer service, I do agree that it is frustrating to call with a problem and then have to ask the CS Rep to repeat themselves multiple times because of a thick accent. But if you can get past that, they DO speak English well and do seem to generally be able to help.

Overall, I think if you want VoIP, Vonage is a good choice. I also think that if you are not basically tech-savvy, you should skip the VoIP altogether (like, say, if you don't know enough to realize a high-speed connection is needed for the service.) But for people who are able to troubleshoot minor problems and understand when it's a problem with a equipment, connection, or network rather than the service itself, you should be happy with Vonage.

no vonage

March 22, 2007 2:45 AM

I disagree with much of what you said. I have had vonage for about a year and will get rid of it after the penality phase ends after one year. That is provided that I can actually get them to cancel the account and they do not keep charging me even after I have disconnected.

1. The price is very expensive when your home business calls do not connect and you lose customers.
2. Call quality has been poor. Calls get dropped. Static and echos on the line. Voice mail does not work. People can hear me but I cannot hear them....Problems many times a week. And oh please, do not blame it on my VoIP provider, which is fine.
3. Vonage took 3 months to port my number. I had them port my fax number because it was widely known by my customers. It took Vonage so long that AT&T closed my account and Vonage said the number could not be ported because it was not an active account. I had to reopen the account with all new Account fees with ATT just so Vonage could port it. Then half my clients could not fax me. Vonage IS the problem, not all of our fax machines. All of these machines cannot all fail and then work with other VoIP's carriers on the same day.
4. Vonage has NO tech support. You wait on the line for 30-60 minutes, the guy in India that cannot speak english, cannot or will not help you. You wait another 30 minutes for a supervisor and then they hang up on you. You e-mail Vonage and the e-mail bounces because their system is overloaded.
5. Vonage now sells your name and e-mail to spammers when they said that they would not do this when you signed up.

I still cannot figure out why I was such a fool to go with Vonage. Now I crusade against the company. I HATE VONAGE. People do stupid things.. they sign up for Vonage.

Mike Harris Stone

March 26, 2007 11:23 AM

We've been using Vonage for nearly 4 years here in Mexico. If you have good broadband service and if you configure the system correctly, it works great! We even have a second phone number in London, for my mother-in-law linked to our phone. For me, Vonage is the BEST phone service I've ever had. I was a Verizon customer for years in the NY/NJ metro area and paid and paid and paid for their junk. Long live Vonage!

vonage--no way

April 2, 2007 2:22 AM

I have Vonage. I have good ISP and know how to configure the hardware and software. VONAGE SUCKS! The service is out serveral times a month. The outgoing greeting often does not work or comes on late. The voice mail will not retrive messages or gets them to you 24 hours later. Customer service is worthless. I have a second line for a fax. Many people cannot send faxes to me even with ECM off and Baud 9600-- VONAGE SUCKS !

go away vonage

April 9, 2007 4:42 PM

vonage has been nothing but trouble for me. i completly lost all phone service for 2 weeks and in the meantime of trying to get it repaired still having to pay the full bill. nobody there was able to understand what was happening. probably cause they couldn't speak or understand english. once i was able to make calls again... my calls (doesn't matter if it was local or long distance) was static and kept getting cut off. My phone adapter went faulty and had to send it back, when it was lost in the mail they saw the tracking information and still charged me the full price of the device. HUGE inconvenience. VONAGE HAS THE WORST SERVICE I EVER HAD.

Anonymous

April 15, 2007 8:44 PM

Gary

April 17, 2007 4:00 PM

Poor quality service, dropped calls, echoing...line noise...withdrew after the obligatory 1 year. Will not go back.

Anonymous

April 19, 2007 6:17 PM

Any bets on the date Vonage goes bankrupt or is merged out of existence? Can we throw the CEO in the blue hole?

Gary

April 25, 2007 4:02 PM

Voicemail retrieval from the web has been unavailable for over a week. Callers are told to enter a mailbox instead of being given my voicemail answering message. Have to reboot the box fairly frequently because we lose the communication in one direction.

I believe they should offer me a refund for unavailable service.

Holding my breath to see if TS can resolve my case.

Hoodeetch

April 26, 2007 3:37 PM

For all you Vonage apologists, check out the user reviews on Cnet and Amazon.

The average user rating on Cnet for Vonage service is 3.4 out of 10 - unbelievably bad!

My own experience is like many others - poor connection, unspeakably bad tech support, and billing for the service after I cancelled. I have almost $200 in charges on my VISA for a "Risk Free" trial (per their web site) I used for about three hours and cancelled six days after I ordered it.

And yes, I have a cable modem, with what should be more than adequate speed for VOIP.

I don't know how such a high profile company is allowed to operate in such a fashion without class action lawsuits from dissatisfied customers. I'll be out celebrating when Vonage goes out of business.

YabemptiBoozha

April 26, 2007 4:06 PM

Writing all this hifalutin financial analysis about Vonage is analogous to writing a doctoral paper on the Three Stooges.

Vonage is such an abysmally bad company with a lousy product and worse customer service that anyone familiar with their modus operandi would agree in an instant that they deserve extinction.

Mark

May 8, 2007 10:08 AM

I do not have Vonage or any VoIP currently. But I was considering Vonage until I read the reviews. I want to thank everyone for their honesty. I will never select Vonage based on these comments (and I also checked out Amazon and Cnet reviews). Thanks, I'll stick with my landline until a better solution is in place.

Elle

May 26, 2007 3:09 AM

Yeah, well, they charged me twice, then "lost" the money somewhere. Now, I can't get the money back, I never got out of pending status...and I can't cancel, and got emails to the effect of "We're going to charge your card anyway, wether you like it or not."

So, huge hassel going through my CC company. I have to file a legal complaint if they charge me for any service so they can remove it.

Wonderful folks at Vonage.

Anonymous

June 7, 2007 11:11 PM

The worst business decision I made this year is to use Vonage. All I had to do was a Google search to see how bad service they have. DO NOT USE VONAGE

Phil

June 11, 2007 9:40 PM

Just a little help for frustrated people!!!!! Here is vonage corp phone # (732)528-2600 go to the company dir and put in smith then press 1 for timithy smith company president!!!! The office there will put you into the person to cancil your account. It is the executive division. WORKED FOR ME!!!!!!!!!! I HATE VONAGE!!!!!!!!!

Gary Grabenstein

July 1, 2007 8:47 AM

We were told by Vonage that the system would work fine with our Hughes sat. setup. It won't. We can hear the other party well but they miss most of what we say.. We lowered the bandwidth to 30kbs but that did not help. We now have the lowest sat speed Hughes offers. Will the faster speeds Hughes has allow Vonage to work properly?

bo

July 23, 2007 7:41 PM

Vonage Service!! Think again.. if you have a DSL line and change over to Vonage, you're making a BIG mistake. Once Verizon makes a final cut on your phone, you're SOL with your DSL. I'm glad I'm back with Verizon. I was down for 2 months while trying to get my line back. I'll do what I can to get my money back. PS.. try to cancel your Vonage?? "CANCEL" might not be an English word. Verizon Rules...

ajw

July 25, 2007 8:40 PM

I have been using Vonage since 2002 or 2003 now and it has been a great value. My sister and mother in Argentina use it, my sister in Mexico and NH use it as well. We have had some problems, particularly in Argentina and Mexico where upload bandwith and latency can get bad during some points during the day, but for us here in the states (boston) and NH it has worked very, very well througout most of the day. I have family in Europe and Russia and the calling rates are pretty good.

nonono

August 13, 2007 12:32 PM

Vonage is the worst!! I had vonage since august of 2006. And TO THIS DAY I have problems trying to cancel the account.
Customer service: BAD. can't understand them, and they cannot understand you.
they put you on hold FOREVER. eats up all your minutes if you are on your cell phone.
You almost have to fight the customer rep to cancel your account.
I AM FINALLY FREE of this horrible service!!
STICK TO YOUR LANDLINES please. Read into what you're getting yourself into if you are planning to switch over. It will be a pain the butt.

Linda Tucker

August 14, 2007 3:09 PM

I sighed up in January 2007 to use basic service. To find out 2 weeks later that i could not use there service because of my DSL provider, So I sent the modem back and cancelled my service in writing and over the phone. Still to this day they continue to charge my card for service that I never used. Not to mention they wont give me a address over the phone for the corporate office. What else can be done. This is so wrong

Amanda Lynn

August 31, 2007 10:15 PM

I tried vonage a few weeks ago my granmother heard from tv...yeah i should have said something. After 2 weeks of waiting i got my own modem from best buy,then i had to talk to a customer service agent from india or where ever and they could not understand i had static on my line,will someone shoot me please? I couldnt understand them and asked to be put on hold til i could talk to someone who spoke english...and i was on hold over a hour. Im guessing the only person who spoke english was like a janitor or passer threw. I can believe i gave in and got vonage,now im on hold AGAIN going threw this...god help me.

JULIE JULES

September 26, 2007 9:04 AM

In one week in a half VONAGE scared the crap out of my whole family - Im scare now that they might start overcharging our credit card. First family and friends couldnt hear us when we spoke on the phone, the phone was voice cracking all the time. We cancel our account to find out that it was still connected. So we keep calling to cancel. They dont understand what you saying because they want to make it seem like you are the one who is not speaking proper. They tell you why you want to leave their service and you explain and they want to force you "we could help you with that" and when you tell them no is okay im cancelling, they get upset. So I call another phone provider so I can change the WICKED VONAGE, and the other phone provider cant get VONAGE to change the service to them because with VONAGE you are forced to stick with them and this is unlawful against FCC rules. VONAGE will give you the runarounds, they are scary, if you stay with them you are back in the prehistoric times. Internet was working slow when their modem was connected to my modem. DAMN VONAGE DAMN THEM FOREVER. Hope they rot.

Joe D

October 3, 2007 1:27 PM

Whew!!!!! I was about to subscribe to Vonage after a very lengthy call to their subscribers service. the person was very knowledgable and easy to talk to. They had an answer for every single question or negative thought that I had. For example, at one point it appeared that needing a second fax line, voice mail, caller i.d. etc would not make the savings be enough to go to the trouble to make the change. then the incentives began, i.e. since I would be a former Bell South customer then the rate would be only $19.99, they would waive the start-up fee of $40.,give me two free months, waive the $9.95 shipping charge for the modem and the rates would NEVER increase. They wanted me to sign up immediately, hence all of the incentives but it did sound too good to be true, so I investigated and, thankfully found you. I thank you, I bow to you and I give you a high wye along with eternal gratitude for saving me from these Bush-like(deceitful) evil doers

bob

October 4, 2007 8:16 AM

VONAGE is an unscrupulous company and I refuse to do business Vonage. Vonage refuses to cancel my account after approximately two weeks of repeatedly trying to cancel my Vonage account by telephone and email. To end the phone conversation Vonage has repeatedly said Vonage computers are down and to call back.

I filed a complaint against Vonage with the Better Business Bureau (complaint number: 5576109) 3 Oct 07.

I filed a complaint against Vonage with the Federal Communications Commission (complaint number: FORM475: 07-W13431095) 4 Oct 07.

I am pursuing legal action against Vonage.

For further evidence of Vonage’s behavior and what kind of reputation Vonage has developed go to http://www.wehatevonage.com/, http://www.consumercompare.org/review.php?provider=vonage and/or search the Internet for “I HATE VONAGE”.

Angie

November 5, 2007 12:10 PM

I wish so much that I had found this site BEFORE I stupidly signed up for Vonage. Unlike some of the comments towards the top, I did ask Vonage if the service would work with my satellite internet. They said "Oh, yes." Yeah right! I never did get it to work even after speaking to their "top tech". He said he would note my account to cancel it, which he did not. I have been trying for over two weeks now to cancel my service and have not been successful. First they say that they will charge a $40 fee to disconnect. I told them they were crazy since they gave me misinformation on whether or not the service would work. They then said to ship the equipment back and then call to cancel after they received it. I verified with the post office they received it seven days ago. They agree they have received it but every time I call they say it has not been inspected yet so they will still charge me the disconnect fee!! I think they are putting me off until they can charge me another months payment in four days! Don't try to ask for a supervisor. You won't get one. The woman argued with me forever and kept saying she was the account manager. I told her I wanted to speak to who hired and fired her. She didn't reply and then after more arguing said sarcastically, "What, do you want to speak to my subordinate?" Her name was Laura if you are interested. Anyway, I found their corporate number and have called it. I received a voicemail that said to leave a message and they would return your call within 4 hours. I left a message so we shall see how it all turns out. I HATE VONAGE!! DON'T BECOME THEIR VICTIM!

Naty

November 18, 2007 12:34 AM

Vonage Complaint
Cancellation problem - Internet phone
Location: New York, ny
VONAGE Account Created: OCT. 25, 2007

I use the Vonage line as my primary to make international calls to Dominican Republic and Spain.

I got the $24.99/month† plan.
Unlimited local and long distance calling anywhere in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico. Now! FREE Calls to select European countries! ONE MONTH FREE!

On OCT. 25, 2007 I opened an account with Vonage. I had Vonage for over 22 days. On November 15, 2007 I wanted to cancel. SO I called Vonage and spoke to a foreign operator who appeared to be reading from some script.

I told her no for over 45 minutes, I even told her I was running late for work which she ignored and kept trying not to cancel my service with questions and other "offers". Cancel the account. I say cancel the account, I don't mean help me figure out how to keep it, I mean cancel the account.

The phone went mysteriously disconnected. I called back and spoke to another foreigner who actually told me he was just tring to do his job if I would just be quiet and listen he would cancel. So I listend to him for over 20 min. and still told him NO. He placed me on hold so long I hung up and called back and got another rep and this rep refused to cancel also. He was so belligerent and demanding.

But I finally got Vonage to cancel, I HOPE... To my amazement and utter shock VONAGE said that there will be a 39.99 early termination fee for each phone number, and guess what; I had two. Which I only open one account. I had already been charged $89.91 early cancellation fee and today I found a new invoice for $55.10. Let me remide you that I signed up for a 30 day free trial.

I am still fighting for my refund...
Please help me if you can.

People should be aware of the illegal, ineffecient and hostile business practices of Vonage.

Vonage is the worst service I have purchased in years. The technical service and customer service is poor. They will not cancel your account. They keep charging your credit card months after your service has been disconnected. It is criminal and these people belong in jail...

Naty
ny,ny
11/17/07

Ida Jones

November 24, 2007 3:43 AM

Vonage is simply ripping customer’s account without the customer knowledge. They will not cancel your account. They keep charging your credit card / your bank account months after your service has been disconnected. Charging customers with out providing service is not only unethical business it is criminal. Dose Vonage complies with customer projection rule?

Ida

Slobodan Koloski

December 6, 2007 12:00 AM

Horrible, the moment it started. The customer suport behaved like pirats. In a land where you have to read the fine print they are the masters of deception. The quality of the line is well substandard. If you are thinking of vonage trow the planed/unplaned $150 in the river. It will hurt in the begining but You will be much happier on the long run.

Gary Hess

December 20, 2007 10:59 AM

I signed up with Vonage as I am a bit techy and like the idea of VOIP service. The service works fine for me but the business practices are unethical at best and push the limits of fraud. I was asked if I wanted free second equipment by the sales rep that signed me up. No charge, no fees, if my box dies down the road just activate the spare one from the closet. I didn't need it but it seemed straight up and he seemed insistent. I think he even asked "why wouldn't you want free spare equipment?" I end up receivng 4 total boxes. 3 are unopened in the closet as I assumed he just sent more spares. Whatever. Well after my 2 free months and another month or two for the billing to come through it turns out that the sales guy signed me up for 4 accounts without my authorization. I only had authorized one phone number and one account. So much for free second equipment. The real problem started when I called account management. Not only will they not give me a credit for my few hundred bucks out of pocket for the monthly fees that I didn't authorize they are charing me over $90 per account for the 3 'extra' accounts to discontinue since I didn't do it within the first 30 days. They tell me there is no way to dispute this except through the credit card company. With the 2 free months of service I didn't even know these accounts existed until my credit card bill showed up after month 3. I'm out over $600 in fraudulant charges. Don't let this happen to you!

Gary

Brenda

December 27, 2007 11:05 PM

I made a huge mistake by signing up with Vonage. I had ordered the product online on Dec 12 believing what they preached about the simple set up service and great quality product...yeah right.

For the last week and a half, we had no home service while waiting for the Vonage product (since I dropped Qwest and kept the same number). Finally after two weeks I rec'd it today, fast right?

Well, I was just happy thinking this was going to work out anyways. Opening the package and trying to figure where all the connections go, I realized it wasn't going to work. I have dsl through AT&T, but because it was connected to my phone number with Qwest, it was cut off.

Therefore, I was told by the Vonage customer service, I needed to call AT&T to have the dsl line set up as a "dry loop" or "naked dsl." To make it more interesting AT&T will possible put a price gouge for requesting this change.

I'm am frustrated at how often this happens with Vonage service. They are possible the worst company I have ever delt with in my life. I am simply disappointed with their overall customer service and how dishonest they are about their product. They have lost a potentially great customer once again.

Dickie Roberts

January 10, 2008 4:35 AM

To ALL the posters that found out about cancelling ma bell = no broadband.... thus = no vonage..... sorry, hopefully it's a lesson which will teach you about NO FREE LUNCH.

Anyways, I've been wasting time periodically calling CRAPAGE's 800 number and EFFING with their sign up (poor east indian CS persons making what? 50 cents an hour) persons insisting on absolutely ONLY paying on a "POSTPAYMENT ACCOUNT".

Then the poor CS starts telling me they can't accept postpayment cause they need PREPAYMENT so that they can send me the ATA.... so thus I INSIST that I'll pay it by SENDING A CHECK.

But CS READS FROM THE SCREEN IN FRONT OF THEM and says "no we need credit card, debit card, or checking account"....

Then I start dangling out my 5 credit cards and 3 debit cards and 2 checking accounts (which really do exis) and INSISTING on POSTPAYMENT and "I'LL SEND YOU A CHECK FOR THE ATA"..... but NO, CS says MUST be credit card, debit card, checking account.... I say "GIVE ME YOUR SUPERVISOR/HIGHER UP".....

I usually drag this on for around 20 minutes or so and the thing is, is that even the "higher tier" CS persons will sit there and NOT hang up even when we reach the impasse of them telling me they only accept PREPAYMENT and I insist on only POSTPAYMENT..... that's how f!cking DESPERATE CRAPAGE IS!

WHY AM I DOING THIS?????

My girlfriend went through ALL what the previous posters here did:

1) service was horrible

2) they made it H!LL for her to cancel AND SHE GAVE UP TRYING ALA WHAT ALL THESE PREVIOUS POSTERS SAID ABOUT CANCELLING

3) So thus she contacted her credit card company and told them to not pay CRAPAGE anymore.... end of story with her and CRAPAGE right????

4)NO, she ended up getting a collection agency on her; thus she got a bad mark on her credit.

We've been waiting and watching and scanning the news and the internet to see WHEN the MASSIVE class-action lawsuit against CRAPAGE arrives.

In the meantime I'm gonna keep seeing if I can sign up with CRAPAGE on a POSTPAYMENT account AND on me sending a check for the equipment.

And I don't care if I have to spend an hour on the phone with their CS to see if I can argue my point as after all its CRAPAGE's 800 number I'm calling.....

vonage hater

February 1, 2008 1:49 PM

I hate Vonage! they are terrible! my calls always cut out so i tried to cancel my service with them and switch to a cheaper option - comcast. and they made my life hell! i could not cancel with them! it took over a week to get them to release me from their evil grip! Do not ever use VONAGE! THey suck!

Totally untrustworthy brand

February 15, 2008 4:06 AM

Weirdest "customer service" call ever - in my life. I called to cancel Vonage - same complaint as above- ok service most of the time - but vital lost calls etc. echoes etc. stuff that's not worth saving 20 bucks a month over for me. So I called to cancel. I made the mistake of answering "why" I signed up (to save money) - and then the guy tried to get me keep with Vonage with a promised of new equipment and free service for two months. I kept saying that I just wanted to cancel and he told me that I really did not want to cancel and really knew he was correct (what?!!!!). The conversation got weirder and weirder - I asked to speak to someone else to cancel my service since he was unwilling to. He said that he was authorized to cancel my service but again, that I really should take up his offer of free Vonage at no risk to me. I was steamed by this time and told him that I would never ever ever use Vonage and that at this point it was a matter of principal and then told him I would hang up. Got an email a few minutes later that said my Vonage account was cancelled. Uggg frustrating and weird. Who trains these people?

Atheist

March 28, 2008 5:37 AM

Long story short: having known about the horror of cancelling crapage via ex-girlfriend - had CC company withhold payment cause she went thru h!ll trying to cancel and crapage sicced collection agency on her - thus I helped someone cancel crapage they had and never used - cause wasn't reliable and never gave thought to fact was paying 25 bucks for something he never used - I called and went thru what everyone said about cancelling BUT I stayed calmed and STUCK TO *THE* STORY: I was going into the seminary and was getting rid of everything I had and had to cancel. "David" pulled ALL the USUAL stops to keep MY FRIENDS account but I kept on the "I'm going into the seminary...."..... "David" finally gave in.

Moral of the posting: WHEN you go to cancel tell them that you're going into the peace corp or you're in the marines going to Iraq or you've joined a firefighting forestry group or you're going into the seminary or a convent..... ANYTHING that would put you "out of civilization" AND STICK TO THE STORY AND STAY CALM!

Gabrielle Lynn

March 28, 2008 10:24 AM

Don't go with Vonage! I've had their service for four months -- and it's been one time-consuming headache after another. The equipment mysteriously becomes nonfunctional at least once every three weeks, and you're left to figure out how to get it back to working yourself. Calling customer service yields zero results. Right now, I'm on day two of trying to get back my service. I put in a call to customer service yesterday; they say they put me in the queue and will try to get back to me by Monday. Till then, I'm on my own with no phone! But, of course, I'm still being charged....

Vonage Hater II

March 28, 2008 2:52 PM

I had the same problem! They made it incredibly difficult to cancel. In addition to waiting for my 12 month period to expire before I could cancel, they had the nerve to tell me that they would be charging me $39.95 just to cancel. She kept offering me "deals" and "offers" to keep my service. I told her that I was cancelling because we were using cell phones only. She kept feeding me lines about how we really should have a backup landline in case of an emergency (she even asked me if I have children!!) I am still in shock after this bizarre phone call. I asked her if they do this to everyone who wants to cancel, and she said "I understand your concern" over and over, as if she were a robot. I then asked to speak to her manager, and she told me that she was the manager! Oh my god, I cannot believe this company. I told my father what happened, and now he is going to cancel his service, and also tell this story to all of his Rotary Club members who have also been having troubles with Vonage.

As far as I'm concerned, I will NEVER recommend Vonage to anyone. I will do whatever I can to help bring the corruption of this company out into the limelight.

I have a funny feeling that they won't be around for much longer anyway.......

CJB

April 17, 2008 9:41 AM

My experience with vonage was absolutely the worst customer service thing I have gone through. Never got the service even hooked up and was not told vitally important things every time I called. Canceled my account in march and they show no record of all my problems and say I never canceled. They are now trying to charge me 188.00 for something I never even hooked up! Hoping my credit card company can take care of it. I gave up talking to Vonage because their customer service is the worst!

Piratepug

July 19, 2008 9:43 PM

Same experience as everyone else, except I got Vonage to admit something. I signed up in March 2007 for the service. In October 2007, I called to cancel and was told that I would face a disconnect fee for having the service for less than one year. The rep told me that if I kept the service for one year, I could cancel without the fee. He then dropped me to the $4.95 a month plan and credited my account with $26.00. After only three months, Vonage began to bill $10.00 a month or so to my bank card, saying that I had used up the credit. I didn't worry as I could cancel in just a few more months. I finally remembered to cancel in July 2008. When I called, I was told that I would now face a disconnect fee for having the service for less then TWO years. I explained what I had been told, and asked the rep to look it up in my account. She said that she did indeed find where I had tried to cancel before, but there was still a disconnect fee that would be taken out of my account. As a matter of fact, the fee was taken out of my account before I even finished the phone call. So I contacted them by email to let them know of my displeasure and explaining everything I was told. The first email response was generic. So I responded and explained the situation again, ending my email with "and I expect my refund promptly, thank you." The second email that I got back opened with an interesting sentence. The Vonage customer service department's first sentence was" "I understand that you were misinformed by our Vonage rep." So I have it in print that they are aware that the information I was given was false. This email, as all others Vonage responses, said that I would not be getting a refund. I continue to respond to them with "and I expect my refund promptly, Thank you." This morning, I noticed that Vonage had tried to call me (before I got up). I'm still waiting for them to promptly refund my money. I have also informed them that I own a technology company that routinely installs Vonage equipment and that from now on we will not only refuse to install Vonage equipment in Southern California, but we will actively let customers know of Vonage's business practices in order to help them find a better, alternative.

andy

July 31, 2008 7:05 PM

I too got vonage in march 07 when the router was free w/ rebate. I never got the rebate which is another story. In that whole time I barely used vonage as my internet connection was good at time and not so good. ISP would not research the issue as the service was good enough. Long story short, we kept our POTS line and used vonage as our "business" line. Economy sucks so I'm looking for places to cut costs and vonage makes the list. They give me the run around that others have mentioned (worse than canceling AOL in the 90's!. Then they tell me about the $39 cancellation fee. When I signed up it was by phone and they never told me about a cancellation fee which I even asked about! I think the question "if i cancel are there any fees, charges, etc?" kind of covers that. What they did was to offer me to stay for two more months to decide. When I kept saying cancel she offered $5/ month and finally two months free. I said I would have to research the cancellation charge because it was never stated to me when I signed up.

Here's my plan after seeing what happened to a lot of other people.

1. Try and get off without paying the $39 fee. This seems nearly impossible but I'll try.
2. If that doesn't work then I'll try and keep the free months going until next March (two years). Then cancel w/ no fee
3. When I do cancel I will call in that credit card as lost. That will stop the charges that people seem to be getting months and years later.
4. I'm going to change the credit card to one that expires in a few months to so they can't bill me any more.

Sherry

September 11, 2008 7:24 PM

VONAGE IS TERRIBLE. I ordered the service on 08/11/08 and called to cancel my service on 09/11/08. I returned the products back to Vonage a week after receiving it. The customer service WAS NOT ABLE TO CANCEL MY ACCOUNT and switched me to a manager and that manage switched me to a dispute Account Manager. The Account Manager told me, I was over 30 days in canceling my account and they CAN NOT REFUND ME BACK FOR SERVICE I DID NOT USE, WHICH HIT MY ACCOUNT ON 09/11/08 of $42.95 exactly 30 days. I was also told that in order to cancel the account a fee of $39.95 and 47.95 will come out of my account for penalty. WHAT THA??? I told the lady I will report them to the BBB if they refused to close out my account and continue to charge me. DO NOT GO WITH VONAGE... IT'S A TRAP....THEY REMIND ME OF A GANG...YOU WILL BE PENTALIZED IF YOU CANCEL OUT!!!! SELLING YOU LIFE AWAY!!!!

Howard Lewis

September 22, 2008 9:37 PM

This is a dam shame, the way all of this
is being handled vontage realize their mistake but continue charging people it seems that the BBB can do something about all of this but they will get their day when they have to refund all of our money they are using it now for investment for them and interest my account was closed one month after i found out the thing did not work two years ago and still having problems and the people you speak to on the phone speak little or no english.

Melissa

September 22, 2008 9:53 PM

I wish I'd seen this site before signing up for Vonage and I was LIED to by their representative who guaranteed me it would work with Hughes.net and ANY high speed, broadband. Well, since last Nov. I have had all the same bad experiences that I have read above and then some. They told me I had 60 days to cancel and then when I went to cancel they said I could not unless I could prove that there was not DSL or other providers for us besides Hughes.net. Did that and they refused to refund anything and kept charging, but I've been told over and over again by THEIR own people that a company wide e-mail went out that the service was to problematic and would not work with Hughes.net and that customers from Hughes.net should be told this. Well, I have spent about $200 calling them from my @#$%^ Verizon cell phone which is clear as a bell, because their service does not work at all and in April I told them to discontinue my service. They charged me a $97 charge even though they said over and over again I should never have had the service sold to us to begin with by THEIR customers. And YES there is a problem with the their reps being in another country and the language and culture differences. That is not racism, that is fact. So, I find out today, they reactivated a new account and number in MY name and are taking money out of my account again. Called them and they are just flat out buttholes and the biggest rip off ever. I am telling bank there is fraud as of tomorrow and done with this crap company. They rip people off for NOTHING but service that doesn't work and to be kept on hold and switched to 50 different people who know that they are NEVER going to make it right. DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THIS FRAUDULENT COMPANY. Where are the agencies we can report them to and shut them down? Does anyone know?

david

September 23, 2008 5:19 PM

VONAGE RIP OFF.I had VONAGE for six months not no more,i had one account with them and only asked for one account they gave me two extra accounts so they were now taking three payments a month out of my bank account and not at $24.95 a month much more and some other fee for what i dont know,but to drop the other two accounts i did not want VONAGE said i had to pay $100.00 to close them,SHAME ON YOU VONAGE so i called my bank to stop them from taking all that money out of my bank, VONAGE they owe me 36.95 x 2 for the past six months should of stayed with my other phone service would of been cheaper cant wait when VONAGE goes under.

Tina

October 16, 2008 1:05 PM

I HATE VONAGE! Why was I dumb enough not to research them a little more before I signed up? I've had nothing but HORRIBLE service and connection! I have two kids under 3 yrs old and have spent hours on the phone with Vonage trying to fix their problem! Imagine how much fun that has been. I'm getting two months of service for free now but CANNOT for the life of me get them to cancel w/o charging me $100 and I REFUSE to pay them money for something THEY cannot fix! Argh! Trust me when I say...STAY AWAY FROM VONAGE, ITS NOT WORTH THE HEADACHE! I guess I'll keep the free months going until I've fulfilled my contract or just cancel my credit card so they cannot charge me anymore. Anyone else have suggestions or is there a lawsuit against Vonage that I can join in on?
Can't wait for Vonage to tank!

Wendy

November 3, 2008 6:29 PM

I just had the most annoying experience trying to cancel our Vonage service. After repeatedly telling the customer service agent that we no longer needed the service she continued to tell me about all of these "deals." After 13 min. of growing more and more impatient I asked to speak with the manager and then she said that she was the manager. This is the worst service. DO NOT USE VONAGE!

Vonage Hater II

January 7, 2009 6:17 PM

I had the most ripoff experience with this evil company.I sign for service called to cancel they shipped the device to me I immediately return them.The charges then began I called to cancel talked to a person in another country with a robot attitude with zero help This is the worst service. DO NOT USE NAZI VONAGE!

manny

January 14, 2009 8:30 PM

i have never been so violated by any other company than VONAGE. Do your self a favor STAY AWAY. i signed with them @4pm i canceled the next morning due to NASTY customer service.

Shannon

April 26, 2009 5:51 PM

For all of you that were ripped off by Vonage, go the Better Business Bureau website and file against them. If there are enough complaints Vonage will cease to exist!! That is what needs to happen. They are a dishonest company ripping off our hard earned money with a service that does not work.

Sanat

June 9, 2009 3:01 PM

Absolutely the worst service we have ever had. We tried for months to see if it was the cable company, equipment, etc. The management of this company should ask themselves if they feel proud of the business model that they have created in America and what they are doing to the consumers across the nation.

Tom

June 29, 2009 8:15 PM

They suck. Just cancelled after supervisor kept on referring us to "their highest level of technical service" to keep us a customer. They suck. Calls dropped and 90% of calls in went right to voice mail and we never knew about them. Terms of service get you for some costs, but I will fight this. BBB will hear also and FCC! They are nothing but automatons reading a script. No personall interaction. They must love working for that company.

Andries

October 27, 2009 9:44 AM

What a bungling bunch of incompetents they have in their number transfer section. They have now been at it for a month without any sign of success.

Sheryl

November 30, 2009 7:20 PM

I find it amazing that this company is allowed to exist. Will our Senators and Representatives please stand up and do something about this CRAPPY COMPANY. This is the worst service ever. I have had Vonage for a year and on any given day there is no phone service at all. Don't expect to use the phone and the internet at the same time. My service ends in December and I have to pay a disconnection fee of $39.99 and pay for the equipment of which I was given a rebate. I asked them to pull the phone call recording because I was not told that I had a 2 year contract. And my emails from them do not reflect this. When I have called them about the service, I had to use my cell phone because they could not hear me because of the crappy phone line. Vonage equipment is useless, customer service sucks, and Congress should demand that consumers be compensated by Vontage for the trickery and deceit they present to consumers.