Samsung Takes on Apple's iPod (again)

Posted by: Cliff Edwards on September 01, 2006

Introducing the K5.
Samsung K5.JPG

All I can say is, It’s about time Samsung!
After years of trying, the South Korean giant has finally come up with a truly drool-worthy competitor to Apple’s iPod. True, the moniker K5 doesn’t give me any feel-good vibe the way iPod does, but Samsung’s little device offers any Apple-weary consumers a very good alternative to the ubiquitous iPod. The 4 GB K5—about twice as thick as an iPod nano—comes hot on the heels of SanDisk’s release of the 8GB Sansa digital music player. But it one-ups both SanDisk and Apple in terms of features.
Samsung throws down the gauntlet for rights to the “Wow” factor with its tiny slide-up speaker that offers “share a soundtrack” technology, as the company calls it. It looks good, but can it deliver great sound? The answer from my initial tests is a resounding yes.
The K5 also uses a full, glossy black OLED touch screen to navigate, with 1.71 inches of true screen real estate. It includes an FM stereo tuner, JPEG photo viewer and an alarm clock.
Will this be enough to break Apple’s lock on the market? Probably not, given that Jobs & Co. are expected in the next month or so to offer their own digital music player updates.
Suddenly, though, the market is looking the most competitive it has been in years.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

Ian Bell

September 6, 2006 05:31 PM

I love the design as well. I think the slide-out speakers are a nice touch that are actually useful. I would love to seem more companies use OLED displays, it adds some color to the mix.

maggie

September 13, 2006 06:58 AM

Why would you waste your time on a product not nearly as sleek or likely as dependable?

People who choose Apple products do so for the same reason they choose Volvo, or Bosch, or any other truly outstanding product line.

The products work, the designs are sleek, the warranties/guarantees are genuine.

dingbat

September 14, 2006 11:20 AM

The Tv spot is another take on ipod too. Lots of people wearing white headphones - trapped in their own bubbles.

Very ironic given Samsung now supply the Ipods mp3 mediaplayer chipset.

Hmmm.

marcus

March 8, 2007 04:01 PM

The samsung k5 is an i pod killer all the specs are just amazing and the slide out speakers really are quality

William

June 29, 2007 09:39 PM

no wayyy! IPOD IS SOOO MUCH BETER! I HAD THAT CELL PHONE AND ITS NOT GOOD. BUT NOW I HAVE A IPOD VIDEO 30GB APPLE RULES!!!!!!!!!!

Jordon

May 4, 2008 09:25 PM

Ok awesome mp3 player! but.... Ok ipods are awesome to so like heres how i see it they are both superior quality! I like this one because it has speaker built however its thick but whatever i have a ipod touch wouldnt trade it for anything samsung overall tho does make cool electronics as of there new samsung r610 cell phone whoo! :)

mohannad

August 14, 2008 12:52 PM

I cant watch any movi i want on my
samsung mp4

adnan

September 5, 2008 02:15 AM

vey nice samung

Unit 392919293

December 19, 2008 03:26 PM

ipod=good services

samsung=dnse 2.0

carlos

January 25, 2009 02:00 PM

hey guys
any of you know where can i buy the wire that goes in my samsung thing?

lola

March 19, 2009 10:00 AM

i misplaced my software and i need to transfer my pics on my ipod and it requires my software.pls help me

Sarah

August 6, 2009 09:26 AM

I've not long recieved one of these as a gift. But i have misplaced the lead which i can put music onto and charge it up with. Does any one know where i can buy a new one please?

ardi

September 5, 2009 02:45 PM

i like to buy this ipod how mach