Why Are Blog Names So Boring?

Posted by: Rob Hof on May 18, 2006

Just ran across Cathode Tan. Even if I didn’t like the posts (and I do), I probably would have subscribed just for the great name. But it got me thinking about how boring most blog names are. I mean, Jeremy Zawodny’s Blog is certainly plenty descriptive, and that’s probably more than sufficient, but I’m a sucker for clever wording. Maybe I’m just used to names like Gizmodo or Buzzmachine by now. And there are a few others whose names I like, such as Sean Ryan’s SharkJumping (though there’s not that much on shark-jumping) and Paul Kedrosky’s Infectious Greed. Am I missing something, or are bloggers just too literal?

dg

May 18, 2006 9:07 PM

He hasn't posted fer a loooong time, but my fav name ever is "unprotectedtext.com"

Rob Hof

May 18, 2006 11:19 PM

Oh, and this will certainly be a little self-serving, but I do like Blogspotting... though it doesn't beat unprotectedtext.com.

Rex Hammock

May 19, 2006 12:02 AM

Or, you could just name your blog something like this one ( http://blogs.salon.com/0001004/ ) which is: "A blog doesn't need a clever name" blog.

Armin

May 19, 2006 5:38 AM

I quite like "Blethers.com" (but then I know what "to blether" means, it's also explained there).

Then there's "Industrial Technology & Witchcraft" over in Germany, that's a good name.

Or "Complete Tosh", when the author is called Neil McIntosh.

8121949

May 19, 2006 5:16 PM

Do you like my name? "Unfinished"?

Chris Yeh

May 19, 2006 7:12 PM

I came up with the name "Adventures in Capitalism" when I started my blog in 2001. I've stuck with it ever since, though some may argue that it doesn't have enough adventures or capitalism!

Rishi Dastidar

May 22, 2006 4:02 AM

And puns and suchlike can be found as well: I labour under the nom de blog 'Being Beta', as the joke is that despite never being complete, one day my writing will get better...

ravi

May 23, 2006 12:39 PM

There are blogs with names that are obscure references... do you like those (such as mine: Plato's Beard at http://platosbeard.wordpress.com/)? E.g: Eschaton, a popular liberal blog. I sometimes wonder if blog names are a little too creative!

Chris Yeh writes that he uses the name "Adventures in Capitalism". That also happens to be the tag line of the Wall Street Journal.

Paul

November 7, 2006 2:42 PM

For some websites, the website name, URL and blog names do not reflect the website’s focus. These websites can also have a lot of products and services on offer that are not focused.

Marina

November 18, 2006 1:49 PM

I do not think that websites and the website name compulsorily must reflect basic idea or theme

Bruce Smeaton

October 2, 2007 1:14 AM

I couldn't agree more, Rob!

My personal favorite blog name (for a recently banned blog) was the "Ordained Cow Capers" followed closely in second spot with "Sensibly Cautious Frog Tales".

Give me "creativity" ANYDAY!