TechCrunch Goes Green

Posted by: Rob Hof on May 12, 2006

techcrunch.jpg

Mike Arrington’s well-read TechCrunch blog has a new look, as he announces on one of his other blogs, CrunchNotes. Many of the commenters there aren’t so sure about the heavy use of the color green, but as Mike explains:

If you’re wondering about the green theme, there’s a reason for it (hint - it keeps me focused on my goals).

Indeed, the notable change is that there’s now a more overt revenue model: sponsorships in the form of ads by Riya, First Round Capital, Omnidrive, and others. Mike noted today at the TiEcon conference, where he was moderating a panel on Web 2.0 (no!) that he had no problem filling up his sponsorship quota at “fairly high rates.” With 1 million unique readers a month and the blog’s status as the premier site to find out about new Web startups, that’s no surprise.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

Chrono Cr@cker

May 13, 2006 06:53 AM

Hmm...Interesting design. The reaction of the public has been anti-design though. I have expressed my thoughts and 2 cents here http://chronotron.wordpress.com/2006/05/13/big-buzz-techcrunchs-re-designs/.

Probably inertia is what makes people talk like this.

ron

May 13, 2006 07:51 AM

what...green?? who cares..really, don't you have something more inspiring to tell us?

*"The Emperor's New Clothes" strikes again.

Rob Hof

May 13, 2006 04:09 PM

Ron, "goes green" was intended to be a play on words, the more important reference being to the sponsorships that bring in the green....

joe

May 13, 2006 04:47 PM

Although I read his blog every day it always surprises me how popular it is. It is poorly written superficial reviews that are often poorly researched he seldom offers much of an opinion. I read it ... as many others do ... to keep track of new product announcements. Recently a few posts have been a bit more thorough outspoken ... maybe the move to monetize the blog has made him realize he needs to improve the quality of the posts.

But hey good luck to him ... as I said I read it every day.

I'm neutral on the design but hate all the ads.

michael arrington

May 14, 2006 02:23 PM

Joe, I agree with part of what you say. The blog has evolved a lot since I first stated it. If you go back to June and July of 2005 I spent a ton of time reviewing all or most features of a product before I wrote on it. As time went on, it became clear that the shorter posts were actually more popular. People like drive by reviews. Also, the flow of news that started coming in forced me to decide if I was going to cover everything I found interesting or just one thing a day. I chose to cover more.

However, I do wish I had more time to spend reviewing applications that I really like. Now that there is revenue flowing in, I intend to hire people to help. The quality should improve and the quantity should stay the same or even increase as well.

Good feedback.

And here's a funny thing - the green has nothing to do with money, as everyone is saying. It's "CNET" green. I like CNET and want to remind myself to do everything that they do right, while remaining faster at breaking news.

advertiser

May 14, 2006 08:10 PM

I'm wondering why no one has pointed out the curious difference in "unique users" Techcrunch seems to have depending on how you advertise on their site. The site claims 1 million uniques, but their advertising partner FM Publishing shows 300,000. That's a pretty big difference. Considering the scandals a few years ago about newspaper circulation, it's surprising that there hasn't been more attention paid to the number of unique visitors some blogs seem to claim (Business Week, there's a story opportunity...). Considering how much Techcrunch is charging for sponsorship, you would think that the sponsors might not be thrilled to find out that they might be getting less than a 3rd of the viewers they've been told they're getting.

color blind

May 15, 2006 01:13 PM

uh, CNet isn't green, dude.