One More Reason to Buy a Mac

Posted by: Rob Hof on April 5, 2006

Not that I needed another reason, since I’ve been intending to move to a Mac for my personal machine for months now. But I think today’s release of Boot Camp, which lets you run Windows XP on a Mac, makes a Mac a no-brainer for anyone who admires its elegance and ease of use (and who has extra money lying around). I can’t hope to do better than the massive online discussion going on, but I tend to think this won’t mean a big boost for Apple anytime soon, once people realize they’ll have to pony up $250 for Windows, plus more for any Windows-specific program they want to run. Still, the ability to run must-have programs not yet available on Mac OS X makes the Mac price premium look like a fairly cheap insurance policy now.

PXLated

April 5, 2006 4:17 PM

>> makes the Mac price premium
Have you actually compared Mac and Dell pricing feature for feature? Dell came out higher for me.

Chris Wallace

April 18, 2006 4:29 PM

buy it at the apple store. cliff edwards predicted their demise in May 2001. Said they'd be toast in 2 years or less. Man, was he W-R-O-N-G. I think he picked the marlins to win the world series this year, too. HAHAHAHAHA. HA.

chris Wallace

April 18, 2006 4:35 PM

have you actually ever tried to get dell to answer a question on the phone? try it. if you have a lightyear. and you want an answer that doesn't solve your problem. Dell Hell. that's about right.

dg

April 19, 2006 2:25 PM

yer a mac tease. buy the thing already!

Rob Hof

April 19, 2006 2:28 PM

OK, OK, soon I hope, budget willing!

Louis Lindner

October 8, 2006 6:51 AM

This comment may not be on the same level. I have had some real old Macs in the past. The Se, the pizza box models, the one with the 486 intel processor to run Windoze stuff. I threw them all out because I was moving. I regret that now. The other day I bought an Imac 333mhz with a keyboard an mouse. A school surplus item. I couldn't do anything with it as is but it was running great. I bought a restore disc for five bucks with another install disc. 8.5.1. Then upgraded online to 8.6 for free. Then upgraded the Internet Exploreer 4.0 to 5.1. I download a free mp3 player etc. It does some great stuff and I love it. Not bad for twenty-five dollars. Half off day at Goodwill. These sold for 1100 dollars in 1998. I love the old thing. It is a monitor with everything in it and can be upgraded to run osx for those knowing what they are doing. Buy an older one and tell me you don't like it. They are a little getting used to but I figured it out pretty much after about a week of messing with it. I want a new one now. Microsoft is more worried about sucking up to copyright holders not the real computer users. We all pay the copyright holders one way or another. MS pulled Internet Explorer support out for Mac because they are cowards. I always thought Bill Gates was just a good thief and con man with some technical brains but has idiots that develop their lame software. Any good Windoze software is written by third party developers. What is it with Microsoft that thinks they own people for using their security hole laden browser and spyware operating system? I tried Linux and it was a little hard and had lack of drivers and software that I like but they were and still are promising. I am moving to Mac/Apple. I love their stuff now and the compact single unit models that don't have all the components seperate. That tower stuff is getting old. Too many wires hanging out. I love this old Imac that is all in one unit. Easy to maintain and upgrade and fun. I could go on more but I'll give you a break.