What Will Google Use $2 Billion For?

Posted by: Rob Hof on March 29, 2006

As if it doesn’t already mint money, Google’s raising $2.1 billion more in a new offering. You sure don’t need this kind of money to develop Web services, do you? So maybe the question is, how many more Web 2.0 startups just got a new lease on life? Or does Google have somewhat bigger prey in mind now?

Update: A lot of folks here and on sites that track back to this post assume I’m suggesting that Google is the most likely acquirer of Facebook. Actually, I tend to doubt it, at least not at anything near $2 billion. Yahoo! seems like a more likely acquirer. Guess I was trying to be too clever, sorry about that. On the other hand, I have to think that this wasn’t done merely to help institutional shareholders. Even if a Facebook acquisition is unlikely, I don’t doubt many others are on the table.

chris

March 30, 2006 2:30 AM

Sounds like tulipmania to me....

Nathan Waters

March 30, 2006 2:40 AM

Yep, I'd say they're going for Facebook.

They would have seen the massive growth and "bargain" Murdoch obtained Myspace for, and so are probably regretting they didn't buy up a similar site.

cheers
nathan

J. Smith

March 30, 2006 8:58 AM

we gotta ditch google. it is getting too big and too invasive!

Gilbert

March 30, 2006 9:38 AM

I agree with Nathan above, buying facebook makes a lot of sense, all those users, all that demographic data. Imagine Google toolbar that allows facebook users to post automatically without visiting site. Definately a smart move on Google's behalf, assuming of course it does happen.

Cais

March 30, 2006 10:23 AM

Perhaps they are going to purchase facebook. However, I don't think they'd pay near $2 billion for it. Most of that money will be for other resources and projects. No one would pay $2 billion for facebook - no one.

Michael Ewens

March 30, 2006 11:48 AM

They are simply issuing more Class A shares for the index funds that hold the SP 500, which they are going to be joining soon. Blogs make people speculate too much.

Daneskjold

April 4, 2006 10:36 PM

I disagree, Cais... someone might fork over the $2 billion -- there are many fools out there. But google isn't known for being foolish, and I doubt they'll make that move.

But whoever buys it should act fast, in a few years, Facebook will be overpopulated with middle-aged alumni, crawling with married guys checking out 18 year olds in skimpy outfits ... and the kids will have to find something new :P.