MySpace: Your New Classifieds Service?

Posted by: Olga Kharif on March 7, 2006

Popular social network MySpace might soon take classifieds advertising to a new level. Apparently, the company is going to expand its classifieds efforts. It’s also toying with the idea of allowing the site’s users to swap and sell items to each other, according to the company’s recent presentation at a Merrill Lynch conference.

Effectively, MySpace will compete with eBay, newspapers and sites like Craigslist.com and CareerBuilder.com, offering job classifieds. This is happening just as newspapers have managed to get a somewhat solid grip on the classifieds market, which was, for a while, slipping away from them and going to online-only outfits.

I think MySpace can be a formidable competitor in classifieds. I already know people who use their online social networks when looking for jobs.

Microsoft, which just unveiled its own social marketplace, Expo, also believes that this is a promising market. And a site like MySpace, where lots of people go daily to blog and to read others’ blogs, might have a much better shot at succeeeding in social commerce than specialized commerce sites like Expo.

Could classifieds turn out to be the way to monetize on social networking sites? I think that’s quite possible.

Mike

March 10, 2006 12:51 PM

MySpace is getting more and more popular, which means money for those that made it. But could advertising on myspace ruin the magic?

brittany

May 18, 2006 9:44 AM

I think there should be a way to get on myspace when you are at school its not fair b/c sometimes there is nothing to do and they you cant get on b/c its blocked there should be a code to get in and if so what is ir i mean its not like kids are doing anything bad on it or anything its totally inacent to me but thats just my opinion

write me back thanks

Scottaizsa

June 5, 2006 11:12 AM

im pissed off that they took myspace off of all city school district computers...IT'S CRAZY!! i had the code to get on and then they took that off...all we do on myspace is, make friends..and check our messages...its fun...the school board wants to take fun out of all schools....whats the use of going to the library..unless u have to write an essay....IT'S just not right!!

Nikki

June 8, 2006 6:34 PM

Myspace is da bomb and you meet kool people you idiots

Kanikki

June 8, 2006 6:37 PM

Myspace is da koolest thing a teenager could ever have ? its better then yahoo because you have more priorities>>>> I have one but im not a heavy camper like some people but i admit it's reeally addicting but oh well lozers deal with it

Murali

June 10, 2006 8:11 AM

The idea of allowing site's users to swap and sell items to each other will click with great success. Instead of buying from or sell to a total stranger on ebay, you can sell or swap your item with your buddies on the list. Myspace is becoming a monster, with around 76M subscribers already.

Julia Carrillo

August 20, 2006 11:44 PM

He querido entrar a este lugar con dos propositos.
uno. conocer a jovenes necesitados de Cristo y
ofrecerles lo Dios puede hacer por aquellos jovenes presos del vicio. Aquellos jovenes que no son felices. y tienen que recurrir a las drogas para tener un poco de placer, pero al pasar ese efecto son mas infelices. Cristo salva. Cambia las vidas tristes en una vida feliz. Yo conozco
este camino desde los 15 años. y que feliz he sido.
Si quieres saber mas como encontrar este camino me puedes escribir. Que Dios bendiga a todos los que leen este escrito.

sam

August 28, 2006 12:07 AM

I AM TRYING TO REACH MYSPACE CUSTOMER SERVICE, IVE TRIED EMAILING THEM FOR 2WEEKS NOW BUT I NEVER GET A RESPONSE, IT IS A URGENT MANNER...DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW I CAN GET AHOLD OF THEM? IF SO PLEASEEMAIL ME. THANKS, SAM

ashante

August 28, 2006 7:20 PM

some is wrong with myspace on my computer,they saing they cant fing myspace but it was working yesterday...some is really wrong can so one help me

KSUAVE007

October 30, 2006 10:06 PM

it takes a long time for customer service to return emails but they do return them.

kevin

January 26, 2007 12:23 PM

I've tried all week to get ahold of myspace to change my old e-mail address to the one I have now and they finualy answered and said I would get a e-mail at my old address in how to help me, duh I just wrote to them six times that I couldn't access my old e-mail address or get anything on it, so I wrote back several times and they have not bothered replying. I guess its easier to get on myspace then it is to get off, maybe we are concidered now LIFE TIME members.
Does anyone know if they have a toll free number to reach them besides an e-mail address?

Kathy

June 20, 2007 9:38 PM

I agree - cannot get customer service to respond regarding a change in email address. Cannot access account until this is done. There has to be a better way but don't know how. Any ideas out there?

marcus lacy

September 6, 2007 2:21 AM

i have a myspace account and i have not been able to sign in for over a month> everytime i submit a question i never get a response back that i cant understand. The email address that i use everytime i submit my request to get my password the only response i get back is thank you for contacting myspace with no password in it. I have tryed to contact myspace help desk and i get a message asking them to sumbit a salute with my picture with a sign by it giving out my password and what i want my new email address to be. Do you have any suggestions? Who do i need to contact to get the problem resolved. I do not want to go through the hassel of setting up a new account. I have wrote them several times with no response that makes sense. Does anyone have a phone number to where i can contact them> if anyone knows how to get a hold of them can you send me an email at mlacy165@sprintpcs.com. i am truly to the point where i jsut want to cancel. The myspace is not sending me my password to my email address. I just dont know what to do

Taylor

April 10, 2008 9:12 PM

i forgot my password and i went to the "Forgot Password" thing. i entered my email address and myspace wont send me my password its been over a week does anyone know how long it takes?

kenneth

July 18, 2008 4:43 AM

Some hack my myspace and change my password but my email have change

JOAN LAJOIE

August 26, 2008 5:50 PM

Maybe we should all get together and file a class action lawsuit against MYSPACE.COM Or lobby congress to require all business's to have a live customer service available to the public. I am really tired of all the bulls***t.

JOAN LAJOIE

August 26, 2008 6:06 PM

Let's boycott all advertisers on MYSPACE.COM until they provide live customer service. Let MYSPACE know why. Blog it. Bulletin it. PASS THE WORD!!!

Bee

June 13, 2009 2:43 PM

I want to remove my contact email address,where no one can pull me up I did another name set page to private and the still find me through email,,can something be done about this ,,please help I sent end other email thinking it would remover my main one didn;t help,,please help me with this