Is Firefox Slipping?

Posted by: Rob Hof on February 13, 2006

Richard McManus at the Web 2.0 Explorer blog has been seeing more complaints about the up-and-coming Web browser Firefox crashing a lot, just as I’ve noticed personally lately. He wonders if we might be seeing a rerun of Microsoft’s crushing of Netscape with a browser, Internet Explorer, that began to work better than the pioneer’s. Not yet, I think, but it’s never a good idea to give Microsoft an opening, because it certainly will take advantage of it.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

spaceman spiff

February 14, 2006 03:36 AM

I have been seeing a lot more crashes lately, and it is very frustrating. I will be giving the future Internet Explorer a good honest try. I have also tried out Opera as well, only because of the crashes.

Amit Agarwal

February 14, 2006 04:00 AM

Rob,

The 1.5.0.1 release actually fixes the most common memory leak issues reported in Firefox 1.5.

However, most of the Firefox problems are actually caused by extensions which are released without proper testing.

IE Tab is one such culprit that causes memory leaks.

Amit.

Rob Hof

February 14, 2006 09:27 AM

Amit,

I'm actually using the latest version, 1.5.0.1, and still have crashes. I do use a number of extensions, though only ones that are available from the Mozilla site.

Joe

February 21, 2006 03:59 PM

I use Netscape for 98% of my browsing. I don't get any of those annoying addware windows that come when I surf. I'm not talking about the pop ups that the sites have, I'm talking about the ones that are stored on your computer and open all the time you are surfing. It seems Netscape is so small now they don't write addware for it. Of course a lot of times if I go to a Microsoft site I have to use IE because the write it that way. As soon as I open IE I get addware. This is despite having the full version of spy sweeper. Netscape has brought peace to my browsing. I like the tabbed browsing too.

speed up firefox

March 31, 2006 06:05 AM

I've noticed that Firefox crashes much more often than it used to. Still I prefer firefox to IE.
I've also noticed that firefox crashes when computer stays idle for a long time.

You can read on how to accelerate firefox over here:

mozila firefox

April 16, 2007 01:27 PM

Yeah, you can surf the web faster with Firefox, just gey it here http://www.mozila.com.pl

Firfox

August 13, 2007 07:00 AM

Well, it may be true that Firefox is crashing a bit, yet thanks to the crash recovery feature, it is not that annoying as when you get a crash on IE and lose all you have already found.