Tube Music Network And The New TV

Posted by: Olga Kharif on January 31, 2006

Yesterday, I talked with Les Garland, co-founder of popular music channels MTV and VH1. Last year, he launched a new venture, called The Tube Music Network, a music channel only accessible to people with digital TV tuners (currently, less than 1% of Americans have those, but their numbers are growing rapidly). These are people with TV sets with digital tuners, or users who subscribe to digital tier on cable or to DirecTV.

The Tube could be the forerunner of a major revolution happening in television. The channel is taking advantage of TV’s transition from analog to digital format. As this transition happens, every TV broadcaster will be able to transmit more than one channel. In other words, each broadcasting station will be able to transmit new channels. And Garland’s is the first of a growing crop of such new channels that could do to traditional TV what FM did to AM radio.

Today, digital TV is practically the only way of getting a new channel out. Garland says that cable companies already have around 40 new channels on stand-by, waiting to be added into the line-up. Ditto for satellite companies. The only door that's still open to new channel creators is this still tiny digital TV space. And, already, new entrants are streaming in. Since the Tube launched six months ago, NBC began transmitting a digital weather channel. And CBS recently announced a new channel plan.

As more new channels pop up, Garland says we could see something akin to the birth of FM radio. First, there was just AM radio. Then, FM radio sprang up and took most of AM's listeners away.

This might not be too far-fetched, judging by The Tube's success. In the next two to three weeks, The Tube, currently reaching 7 million people in smaller markets, will announce an agreement with a major broadcaster and enter major U.S. markets. In 90 days, it could potentially be reaching 20 million people, says Garland. The channel, funded by Garland's friends and family, could turn profitable in 18 months, he says.

Apparently, the company is already in talks with advertisers like GM and Motorola. And its nifty business model could appeal to record companies and concert tour organizers.

The plan: The channel, which only runs music videos (everyone from Elvis to The Eagles) and caters to the 35+ crowd (in particular Baby Boomers), only plays commercials for six minutes an hour. It will get most of its revenue from selling DVDs, CDs, T-shirts and concert tickets related to the music and the artists shown on the channel, through its Web site.

That's clearly a very different approach to traditional TV. But then, Garland has a track record of successful ventures. And many viewers - myself included -- are sick of the endless commercials and reality shows on TV.

Who knows, digital TV might yet become the new FM in a few years.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

tom kelly

August 23, 2006 12:58 PM

the tube network on comcast is GREAT keep up the great videos, blows away all other music channels, all the best videos and no bull talk or reality stuff, ill keep watching. great videos that i never see anywhere else

Heather

August 26, 2006 12:29 PM

We just discovered this channel last night. It is awesome. What a music channel should be! It plays music, how novel. We love it. We watched for 2 hours straight just to see what would be next.

lisa holmes

August 27, 2006 01:28 PM

this is the best channel ever. its what mtv and vh1 should be.

J

August 27, 2006 05:54 PM

Just discovered the tube today ...went directly to my favorites...bout time music was played again on a station that was formatted for music ,,,and only music...Keep it up

Alex

September 2, 2006 09:04 AM

I found the Tube last week and am addicted. Just watch Clapton perform I Shot the Sheriff live and it was just awesome! The mix of music is perfect - let's hope they don't screw this treasure up!

Marianne

September 4, 2006 01:20 PM

This channel is the best. I just found out about it today and I'm in love. All music videos and nothing else. No talking, no stupid reality shows just all music and a great mix..I'm in love. Can't get any better then this!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please don't change!!!!! LOVE THIS!!!!

Johnny

September 4, 2006 02:07 PM

I agree with trhe previous posts. MTV started out with music and evolved into reality show central. We have enough of that. The Tube doesn't just show 'music videos', I love the live ones so keep up the great programming!

Greg

September 5, 2006 01:33 AM

I can't believe that the channel I watch the most is a music video channel! The live clips are money!

Les Jinks

September 10, 2006 07:31 PM

Just discovered Tube TV Network while surfing the HD channels on Cable. This is great stuff!

Robert Mullins

September 11, 2006 04:00 AM

Just got my HDTV with digital tuner. Heard analog TV was on the way out in a couple of years. After setup,found stations are already broadcasting in digital and found The Tube. I love it. Lots of great videos the so-called major music channels won't play. Even when not watching,I have it on like listening to a radio.

Mark

September 11, 2006 12:43 PM

Just found The Tube on 2.2 DT channel in Denver CO. Great video and true Dolby Digital sound. Definitely a decent run of video favorites. I'm slightly concerned that it'll get a bit repetitive after watching on & off for several days though. I already saw one video played at least 3 times over the weeekend. Still, Very watchable.

Dave Hamlin

September 12, 2006 01:45 PM

Good job the Tube is great

steven torba

September 12, 2006 02:10 PM

I am 59 yrs old I think the tube is great.I wish the words were on the screen.I love no advertising. I think the videos are great.Keep up the good thinking.

Eric Anderson

September 12, 2006 09:27 PM

UNBEILEVABLE!!! I found this station any now my TV is ALWAYS tuned to it....It reminds me of what MTV started out to be. The videos are the best ever. I love all the live performances. PLEASE don't change a thing.

Bob

September 13, 2006 06:51 PM

Simply Awesome. The Tube impresses me the same way MTV did 25yrs ago. I will keep on watching until someone screws it up like MTV!!!!

James

September 14, 2006 12:18 PM

This channel is awesome. I turned it on and saw Pink Floyd, then Weezer, and then old No Doubt. Don't turn into MTV.

Gary

September 16, 2006 09:59 PM

Stumbled upon The Tube today. Great videos / footage I have never seen before. Great Vibe, I'm hooked already!

CLAUDIA

September 17, 2006 07:30 AM

AMAZING !!! I FOUND THIS STATION 1 WEEK AGO, AND I LOVE IT . THE MUSIC IS INCREDIBLE PLEASE DONT CHANGE ANYTHING ABOUT THIS STATION IS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

frances

September 17, 2006 10:39 AM

we got the tube by accident when our cable company was adding a new station and deleting an old one. boy, the tube was the greatest music station i've seen in a long time. i agree with everyone who has commented on the tube, it sure is a great station to watch.i had the tube on the whole time we were getting the station, was very unhappy when it went off the air. wish we could get the tube again in sullivan mo.

Barb

September 18, 2006 12:44 PM

What a great channel. Saw it on Cablevision while surfing. I saw in about one hour Duran Duran, Stevie Knicks, REM and more and they kept playing. It was wonderful!

Please do not change add some Dave Mathews and LIVE and this channel will take over all else.

John

September 19, 2006 01:08 AM

The tube is what video music should be!! Back to the basics is a good thing!! Split up the genre and I'll subscribe to them all!!!! Keep it it comming!!!

SC2

September 19, 2006 04:33 PM

Hey! You folks rock! Just great music! How long can you keep this up before greed enters the picture...I hope it never gets to that point! My only wish is that you had a bit more R&B/Soul and just a bit of jazz?...Please!? :) I just love it my lady and I fell asleep to what music TV is supossed to be about...FUN!

steven

September 22, 2006 09:34 AM

Simply awesome!

megan

September 22, 2006 09:37 AM

I love it! It is so upbeat and refreshing. When I am getting ready to go out I have it on. I love the 80's music and the honesty of the music and videos portrayed. In the world today, we need something honest to escape to!

RR

September 27, 2006 05:19 PM

put it on DISH please i have no cable i own the stock hoping it goes well the symbol is TUBM on the bulletin boards

Jerry Powers

September 29, 2006 09:48 PM

What Fun " For A Week"!
If these people were so in the moment, call the Record companies and have them send you some videos, repeat after repeat is this network! Listen to your Ipod and Wallpaper this one!

WFT

September 30, 2006 04:22 PM

I just stumbled on this station and couldn't believe my ears -- it rocks! You can spend hours vegging out watching it. Great stuff.

Joanne

September 30, 2006 07:27 PM

Finally, a music channel that plays great music!!

jeff johnson

October 1, 2006 08:32 PM

just found "The Tube" while searching for off the air digital stations, incredible. It reminds me of the good ole days. again, incredible. keep it going.

tom kirby

October 4, 2006 11:26 AM

OK A REAL MUSIC STATION. I LOVE YOUR NETWORK I JUST FOUND IT CHANNEL SUFFERING.PLEASE DONT STOP I NEW FAN FOR LIFE THANKS....

Jimbo W.

October 9, 2006 07:25 PM

I used to watch MTV back in the 80's when they played good videos. Now we get crap like Pimp My Ride and Real World. When they do finally play a video, it's probably rap. So, no more MTV for me. Now I found The Tube and it's great. Watched it for hours last night during dinner. It's now a favorite.

Les Beddoes

October 13, 2006 07:45 PM

How excellent. Where have you been all my life. I love you. Keep rocking.........

Tea

October 15, 2006 01:59 AM

Maybe a stupid question: Does the tv have to be less than a year old to run this program or can a cable-ready TV adapt?

billy d

October 15, 2006 03:32 PM

I love the 1960's and 70's music videos, and the NO COMMERICAL format! thank you Mr. Garland!

peggy myers

October 15, 2006 09:03 PM

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I CAN NOT GET OVER THE FACT THAT THERE IS FINALLY A MUSIC CHANNEL FOR ME !!!!!YOU GET IT. I HAVE NOT ENJOYED A MUSIC CHANNEL LIKE THIS IN 25 YEARS. I HAVE SEEN SOME GREAT STUFF.PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE A THING AND PLEASE KEEP THINKING OF THE BABY BOOMERS !!!!!!!!!WE HAD THE VERY BEST MUSIC THERE WAS!!!!

Jessie

October 16, 2006 10:04 AM

Your station aggravates the hell out of me. A great song will come on and it will just cut out half of the music. None of the other music stations have this problem! What's the deal?

EDES AGBALOG

October 16, 2006 09:54 PM

IWAS TIRED OF MTV FIRST,THEN A WAS BORING WITH VHI,,NOW I DISCOVER THE TUBE....BEST VIDEOS EVER MY SOUL IS FULL AGAIN....LOVE YOU VERY MUCH MY TUBE....THAKS A LOT

Les Higgins

October 17, 2006 07:53 PM

Tube videos are the best, you can watch the artists perform without all the flashing of images and the music is great, keep up the good work

Laura

October 22, 2006 04:32 AM

Love it!! Finally back to basics-MUSIC! I hope this lives on.... Eagles to Prince to Cranberries! I haven't been this happy in years!! Thanks!

Cathy R

October 25, 2006 03:34 PM

It's about time we got a station that provides such a wide variety of artists and music. I Love this station!!!!! So glad I found it...Keep on Rockin"

Boz

October 25, 2006 08:02 PM

Great station. Everybody loves it but wants to add a little of their own favorite music. I say leave it as is. OK maybe a little Ramones or motley Crue wouldn't hurt. Keep it up!

Noel

October 28, 2006 12:06 AM

Finally a channel that means what is says, MUSIC VIDEOS !
Tired of watching boring teens in buses and fake houses on
MTV & VH1 waiting for real music videos, I stumbled across THETUBE. Couldn't stop watching thinking wow no gansta rap crap or stupid "Real world" scenarios. Just plain music videos from the best era of music!
Thanks THETUBE and you better not change the format!

Dan

November 3, 2006 09:06 AM

The Tube is awesome. Its what MTV used to be. Now Mtv is crap. Vh1 is heading down that road too. I watch The Tube every chance I get. This Channel, I dare say, is even better than the radio!

Mark

November 10, 2006 08:02 PM

Like most of the comments, I find this station very much like the early MTV days as well.

The variety of music videos is like no other station that I've ever watched, and that includes MTV, VH1, VH1-Classics and all the other music video immitators.

Showing the name of the song, artist, album and record label at the very beginning in a separate screen is an innovative idea, and then showing the song title and artist several more times DURING the video is a great idea, especially if you tune in during the middle of a video that you're not familiar with.

But what's with the one-to-second "dead spots" in the videos, where there is no music (but the video keeps playing)? I really didn't pay much attention to this at first, but now I wait and listen for that one second of dead air - very irritating (is it so no one can tape the audio portion?)

Also, how does this station plan to stay on the air with only 6 minutes of commercials in the advertising-driven world of television?

Mark in Cape Cod

Rubey

November 10, 2006 11:24 PM

Just found the tube when channel surfing. Mr garland has just reinvented the Rubik cube

Tom

November 11, 2006 03:43 PM

I like the videos on Tube but why don't they fix the sound drop offs. Sometimes it's four or five times in a video.

Adrian & Janet

November 13, 2006 03:55 AM

We are hooked & loving it! We watch every day. Now the "Tower Records" store in our neighbourhood is closing down we will be going to "TubeTV" to purchase our music. The sound drop-outs that some commenters complain of may be due to interference in the HD broadcast signal during transmission.

Allene

November 16, 2006 08:22 AM

I'm 65 and this is the first music channel I've found that I liked. Plays great music - I've already bought CDs as a result of what I've seen. We have no radio stations in MD that even play this type of music - so I listen to news stations or play CDs in the car.
Don't change anything - it is wonderful and perfect JUST THE WAY IT IS!
And -- THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

M

November 18, 2006 05:57 PM

When is TUBE coming to Albany NY on Time Warner Digital Cable?

mar09

November 22, 2006 10:03 PM

how do i order this music channel?

Valerie Meza

November 25, 2006 01:06 AM

My husband found "Tube TV" by scanning the channels one Saturday night he told me about it and we've been addicted ever since. I love TV again! Please keep on doing what you're doing.....THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!
Val Meza
Whittier, CA

Jen Bruggman

November 30, 2006 04:37 PM

I love this channel! It's exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you Tube!

Valerie Bysczynski

November 30, 2006 05:58 PM

Thanks. Finally a music channel that only plays music. My husband & I find ourselves tuning in and enjoying the videos. One thing we suggest is putting what year the video/song was released.

Andy Benun

December 5, 2006 12:39 AM

so I fire up my HD set and I stumble thru my new channels when I run into 5-5, here in L.A.
You would think that Los Angeles with it's vast record companies would have great radio stations, WRONG!! I had to buy Satellite Radio, thanks Sirius for my radio fix! Now I have life again. As an 80's child, I was glued to MTV, which is worthless today, SAD. The Tube is probably one man's memory of the past and great at that. Maybe we will get lucky and we can get different formats as I would definitely Subscribe to that.
....... I bet many others would as well. Let's send a message! Where is my bumber sticker??
"MTV step aside, The Tube has conquered!!
Garland, you rock!!
BIG Thanks.
Andy B., just a bit happier in the O.C.

Russell T.

December 6, 2006 08:51 AM

I recently acquired a tv with a HDTV tuner so i went out and got a HDTV capable antenna. After setting it up i did a channel scan, some good programming but when i clicked onto your station i was amazed. Could this be true ? A over the air broadcast channel that plays music videos ? I watched for hours, only occionanaly changing channels to check the weather. After 6 continous hours of video watching, I crashed in my tv watching chair. However when i awoke the following afternoon i discovered the channel was still being broadcast but no video's were being played. What is this ? Is this dead air over a HD network? Where would I find programming information? When will the videos return? Please help because Ive become addicted and cannot seem to watch anything else for more than a few min before switching back to your channel to see if its playing videos again. HELP ! ! !

Gloria B

December 10, 2006 07:36 PM

I was surfing along my TV..when I found the Tube
How great to watch music again!!!!And to see videos and footage..perfect for my Generation!

Joanne Rio

December 13, 2006 11:20 PM

Found TheTube playing on Bell Express VU here in Canada....wow..I have never watched two hours of music on tv in my life...this is great. Good Mix of old and new music. I want to subscribe..where do I sign up? Canada needs this....

Linda

December 16, 2006 11:40 PM

Just discovered this wonderful channel. I keep thinking that OK I can turn to another channel after the next video..no, the next one... the next one...next one...

Trey

December 27, 2006 11:31 PM

These people really know their music. I just discovered The Tube a few weeks ago and was amazed at the quality of music they played. They ensure that every song they play meets a fairly high standard in musicality (unlike all the sh*t they play on the MTV substations), and every song I've heard on the station, regardless of my genre preference at the time, has been very much appreciable. Their cutaways and promos actually frustrate me somwhat because the music they make for them is, in my opinion, very much worth paying for, until I realize that I'm only watching a promo.

I think this station is darn near perfect, and although I may not be 35+ (I'm actually 17), I am very impressed with The Tube's musical proficiency.

Dan

January 2, 2007 12:31 AM

Like everyone else, I found The Tube broadcasting over the air when I got a digital HD tuner. At first, I thought the station was great and I watched it continuously. But pretty soon I found out it is playing the same 12-hour block of videos in the same order over and over again. I've seen the same videos four times in the last two days! When do they change the playlist? There are thousands of videos out there, I'm disappointed that this station can only program 12 hours of material at a time.

LORI

January 2, 2007 04:35 PM

MY HUSBAND WAS SURFING THRU THE CHANNELS ONE DAY AND HE DISCOVERED THE TUBE,IT IS GREAT,IT REMINDS ME OF WHEN MTV FIRST CAME OUT AND THERE WAS SUCH GREAT MUSIC,NOW WE DONT EVEN WATCH THAT OR VH1 ANYMORE,ITS JUST MUSIC NEW AND OLD AND NO OTHER CRAP.PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE IT EVER,IT IS AWESOME AND WE LOVE IT SO MUCH,WE HAVE TOLD EVERYONE ABOUT IT AND THEY LOVE IT TO,DONT CHANGE JUST KEEP ON PLAYING ALL OF THAT GREAT MUSIC NEW AND OLD.AWESOME.....................

Heather

January 9, 2007 11:24 PM

I just discovered that the Tube has been removed from my channel lineup. I can't figure out where it has gone! Does anyone have any news on this? Did the network go out of business?

Gary Proctor

January 10, 2007 10:07 AM

Did anyone find out why The Tube was removed? I am in NC. I haven't seen it since the turn of the year. Something I truly love has gone away. boo-hoo! Someone please tell me what happened to it. E-mail me DustyRuff@webtv.net

Stewart

January 11, 2007 10:57 AM

Where did it go?

Susan & Michael

January 13, 2007 12:54 AM

WE JUST DISCOVERED THE TUBE OR SHOULD WE SAY OUR TUBE. MTV,VH1 WHO ARE THESE GUYS WE CAN'T BELIEVE YOUR CHANNEL THE MUSIC VIDEOS ARE GREAT AND WE LOVE THE NO COMMERCIALS PLEASE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. A+A+A+A+A+A+A+

Sharon & Geo

January 15, 2007 11:25 AM

We discovered the Tube yesterday and were instantly addicted. The mix of old and new and live concerts is perfect. As two "BABY BOOMERS," we thank you for thinking of us. We also would like to see some dates with the videos. Other than that, don't change a thing!

WATCHitPLAYit.com

January 15, 2007 03:18 PM

Hi, I found this article too...Interesting

A Kind Of Music Tube ?

Larry Ingram

January 17, 2007 04:20 PM

do me a small favor

Just a small one, MTV used to be like this until they started throwing all that reality show crap in there, please don't do that to tube, it's great just as it is leave it alone!!!!!

Chuck Pohlmann

January 22, 2007 04:51 PM

For the past 4 months, we have had the Tube Channel on channel 3(WEAR) which is our local station. We have Direct TV Sattelite. Just recently we stopped getting the Tube. Why?? Who do we call??? Please help as this is the best channel for music the wife and I have seen. Please help a stranded customer in Northwest Florida!!! Chuck Pohlmann

slangist

January 22, 2007 07:50 PM

what's this greatest hits of the 1980s stuff? vh1 for geriatrics i guess...

Kylet

January 24, 2007 01:25 AM

Could someone tell me what happened to Minneapolis' Tube Network?

mike amchin

January 24, 2007 01:49 AM

when MTV first came out,it was all music,and now it really sucks bad,there is just too much doody.please don't change the format of the tube.if people want to see that crap they call hip hop,or rap,then let them watch it on another channel,don't change this one,it is great just the way it is.when something works fine,you don't change it.the tube is the best music channel ever in the history of television.

Gerry Smith

March 21, 2007 12:44 PM

I found the TUBE in San Diego and all I can say is Ya'll ROCK!!! You're everything MTV and VH1 ain't, but used to be....Please don't change a thing....Thank you Mr. Garland

A Happy, Smiling Baby Boomer

MW

July 2, 2007 03:01 PM

Yikes, these comments about people losing their Tube Network make me nervous! This is the best thing about our new TV! It's 32.2 in Portland, and we are loving, loving it. Hope we don't lose it! MTV, take notice.

Ana Medina

July 20, 2007 04:43 PM

Love the Tube, its like when MTV first started, it keeps me in touch with the new music coming out, which I didn't like much, but there is some really good new artists out there, I still like the old school stuff tho, especially old punk rock, get more of this footage and you will get a whole new audience, keep up the good tunes!!!

Jacqui

August 2, 2007 10:04 PM

I love the Tube Music Network. Found it by accident while channel surfing 5 days ago and have been watching it everyday. I go to bed to the music I most enjoy and wake up to the music of my most wonderful years. Thanks for making me very happy!

Bill Porter

September 29, 2007 05:25 PM

The Tube is going off the air on Oct. 1, 2007.

Too bad. Finally get a decent station and it can't make money.

Jill

October 1, 2007 11:01 PM

This is pitiful. The Tube Network did every thing right in my book. Bring it back!

Larrry DJ

October 1, 2007 11:49 PM

Yikes is right. I just read and found out they shut down the "Tube" video station. I thought for a while...finally a station not just catering to those under 21. A station playing just music and video. It was continuing where Mtv and Vh1 have long since abandoned. They (MTV,vh1,fuse) made us watch tons of mindless reality shows, silly game shows and worn out award shows where they almost dont even show any videos at all. So here was Tube finally just focusing on great videos from all over the musical spectrum, which was super. It catered to all,not just those in high school...SO now here again we are now stuck with useless "so called" video stations around the dial yet again. So please bring back the "Tube" in a newer revamped style which maybe would help. Although I liked as it was. Im so tired of all the good stuff being cancelled on TV these days, being left to watch very little, even with having over 400 channels to choose from..So I just had to say my part on this matter. NOt happy with this!

Dick Shanklin

October 2, 2007 01:14 AM

Sunday, I was just saying how great it was having "The Tube" on CH-33.2 Dallas. Monday 12:07AM, I punch it up, and it's gone! Damn

Martha

October 2, 2007 12:32 PM

What happened to "The Tube" Denver? Why would you take it off the air???

Legs

October 2, 2007 11:28 PM

I should have known. Every time I really like something on tv ::::::::POOF:::::::: it's gone.

I enjoyed it all Summer long and I was kinda hooked on it. I'm bummed.

Any hope that it might return in this lifetime???

Jeff Zelenka

October 3, 2007 02:53 PM

I, too, am disappointed with the disappearance of "The Tube". It was on Channel 184 on Cablevision of Suffolk and 11.2 on regular tv. Channel 785 is very good but its mostly concert material.

JL Larson

October 3, 2007 07:46 PM

"We broke a string" was the message on the screen in the L.A. area on 9/30/07. Now the message says The Tube has ceased operations. That's a great disappointment! The Tube was my favorite station on HDTV. I do hope The Tube is revived.

Anthony

October 3, 2007 10:00 PM

Seems like music television as we grew to know it is now truly dead. I loved The Tube - I watched it almost everyday for a year. What a shame that not one major media company could find a spot for it in its budget.

RIP The Tube.

cm

October 4, 2007 12:43 AM

The tube went down the tube; albeit without any fanfare, notification elsewhere.

If I was in venture capital I'd revive it an a heartbeat; maybe too soon to catch on.. But christ where else would you see the Arctic Monkeys followed up by the Pretenders and some rare Door's video after that. A true tragedy; start a petition; email your local station -- I'm not done yet a channel with this level of class and dedication deserves not to die... And for christ sakes it was free in 80% of the markets right over the air/via your 1960's era rabbit ears.

THIS IS PATHETIC; Please do something.

Jon Von Kahle

October 4, 2007 12:59 AM

Bye bye American Pie!

It's too bad- really too bad. People want it, but have no way to pay for it. Would you pay a dollar a month to keep the tube? I know I would. Maybe when the internet and the TV finally get married, instead of just fooling around, it will come back. That's where it's all going now. The Tube should have went more high tech, focused on the website, video and audio streaming and kept it going instead of just pulling the plug. I didn't even know they had a website until they pulled the plug and I went on line to find out what's going on. They didn't do any marketing. They didn't even promote themselves. All word of mouth and by accident. It would have made it with a little more time. It will be back or somebody else will do something like it. Nobody watched MTV or VH-1 anymore. Talk about aggravating.
Well, good bye for now everybody. Maybe I'll just do it myself. Keep the faith. Rock and Roll will never die!

envoy

October 4, 2007 05:20 AM

I am really going to miss The Tube. I had finally found a music channel that I liked and now poof they are gone. Somebody please find out why and get them back on the air. With how popular this show is/was, how is it that noe major company was smart enough to back it!!!!

Sherry Rhodes

October 6, 2007 02:03 PM

Man, I am soooo disappointed this is off the air. It's true what they say: 'nothing good lasts forever.' Thanks for the ride.

Megan

October 8, 2007 09:43 AM

The Tube was the one thing I would endlessly watch. Isn't there anyway to bring it back?

Bruce

October 10, 2007 03:10 PM

I found this by accident a year ago when I first started using an HDTV. I don't even bother with cable as there is little but junk there. As usual, something really truly great comes along, and of course it dies on the vine. I just mentioned it to some friends a couple of weeks before the plug got pulled. So I didn't watch every day - but I would turn the tube on before bothering to switch on the radio. We would put it on just to listen to it.

Maybe they needed a funding drive like PBS does. I hope this is not a permanent situation.

armstrongi

October 17, 2007 12:25 AM

Truly disappointing that the only worthwhile music video station (39.1 HDTV Houston) available has gone out of bidness. It seemed to have a lot of raving fans including myself and and my 2-year-old son who keeps asking me for moodic (music), formerly part of our nightly "night-night" routine.

What can I, the nameless, faceless consumer do to bring back this true masterpiece in quality entertainment whose depth and breadth of musical preference so closely resembled my own? It was as if they took the playlist straight from my own life.

Please let me know, I will be happy to join the cause. Bring back the moodic to my sweet 2 year old baby boy.

Paul

October 17, 2007 06:53 AM

Anyone who stumbled across the Tube Network knows just how entertaining the mix was. Nothing comes free however, and obviously the ad revenues didn't keep pace. If ex-management is tuning in here, try reaching out to your base fans here. They are here and they are loyal - myself included. If measuring our interest helps your success, solicit some responses from here or post a means to do so.

Sheela S.

October 17, 2007 02:07 PM

The loss of Tube Music is being very
difficult to grasp. One gets hung up on
deja vu. All I can say is thank you so
much for the pleasure and comfort and that
YOU WILL BE MISSED!!!!!!!!!
Sincerely,
Sheela S. Iyer

Sheela S. Iyer

October 19, 2007 09:46 AM

There is one more thing I would like to
say: Reading your farewell message at your
site I thought it would be a great idea if
you asked for financial contributions from
devoted followers. To have the Tube remain
as great and unique as always, I know the
response would be positive. The best music
video station and now it is gone. Please do
not give up so easily! There are alot of us
out here.

Gregg

November 23, 2007 03:02 PM

Beyond sad. I stumbled across the Tube a little over a year ago. My cable provider/broadcaster swapped the Tube's channel location and I hoped the black screen was just me not keeping up the shifting channels. Finding out today that the Tube is gone for good blackens my day. I grew up with the original MTV and sorely missed good music TV once MTV sank into the bog of reality TV and TRL bubblegum. The Tube was a great revival and I can only hope its demise is short lived. I would certainly pay to have it back...I've paid for worse.

Good bye...you'll be missed.

Stephanie

January 2, 2008 10:11 AM

I too am so sad to learn that TheTube is truly gone. I had hoped my cable company had temporarily dropped it, or moved it. Even if I had lost it, it gave me a good feeling to know that this channel exsisted, and I would have paid to have it return.

I tuned into this channel almost every day, for several hours, once I had accidentally discovered it. Which brings me to what I think the problem was.... nobody knew about it! Every time I would mention it to somebody... I seemed to be the only one who had found it.

In my opinion, this channel was EVEN BETTER than the original MTV because it had a greater wealth of material to choose from. When MTV first started, there were only a few groups contributing to the mix. Now, years later there is a wealth of rare concert footage and clever music video material available. THe sheer diversity, and class of the music that was played was extraordinary. I found myself researching groups I had never heard of because they were in another genre than what I normally listen to, or because they were new.. or older groups. They played old favorites, new fresh music, rare concert performances. The concert footage of Fleetwood Mac, with LIndsey Buckingham playing BIg Love acoustic... oh my God, brought me to tears. I had never before even liked that song, it was one I would skip over if I ever came across it on radio, or on my CD. Carol KIng concert "you got a friend", Death Cab for Cutie video "Soul meets body" with the floating music notes (where else would I have seen that?), The Clash "Rock the Casbah" one of my old time favorites with the armadillo. The magnificent Ray Charles studio footage, right along side Pat Benatar. I could go on, and on, and on.

I am going to try and see if the website is still up, see if anything new has been posted about this. I too would be willing to join any crusade to bring this channel back. It didn't even have a chance. Where I live EVERYONE has digital cable, and I live in a HUGE market... but no one here knew about THe TUBE, and that's the bottom line. How can something that know one knows about, be sucessful? I think something as simple as billboards on the highway, or commercials on their sister channels would have been enough to tip this the other way. Why was nothing done? Why wouldn't you do your best to advertise something that was being launched?

Uch, I am actually angry that something so wonderful is gone. It was the BEST channel on television. And I don't think that's an opinion. I think it's a FACT... and anyone that saw this would agree.

Sad in New Jersey,
Stephanie

Nate

October 21, 2008 10:35 PM

I cannot agree more with Stephanie in New Jersey. The Tube was awesome.
I am making a remembrance/BRING BACK THE TUBE site for The Tube Music Network
If you want to join or help email me,Nate at
thetubemusicnetwork@gmail.com

Dave in Beaverton Oregon

November 19, 2008 08:31 PM

Man we LOVED the Tube here but it went off the air last winter,,, why?? Please bring it back we and everyone else her in Portland loved it also.

chris

November 24, 2008 02:42 PM

there are not many music videos for the 50& viewers. I loved the tube, my TV was on that station all day, while I did my cleaning and paperwork. PLEASE find a station to replace OR bring the Tube back!

sharon olson

December 14, 2008 01:27 PM

IT'S BEEN OVER A YEAR SINCE THE TUBE HAS BEEN GONE. SURE DO MISS IT. WILL IT EVER COME BACK? I SURE HOPE SO. IT WAS THE BEST MUSIC VIDEO CHANNEL EVER. VHI AND MTV SUCK!!!!! I KEEP HOPING WHILE SURFING THE CHANNELS I FIND IT ON AGAIN. GOG, I MISS IT SOOOOOOO MUCH. A GOOD COCKTAIL AND THE TUBE. ROCKED

Otis

December 19, 2008 11:22 AM

BRING BACK THE TUBE!!!! There's very large demand for it.

Bob

January 19, 2009 12:02 PM

I also miss The Tube. It had my favorite vids, and also turned me on to both new bands and older stuff I was not aware of. I think one thing that hurt it was lack of promotion. I never saw or heard of any advertisement promoting it. I only learned of it through a friend who found it by channel surfing.

ANYONE NOT GIVING MY NAME!!!!!!!!

February 28, 2009 10:46 PM

BRING BACK THE TUBE I USED TO STAY WITH MY DAD AND WATCH IT BY HIS RAYDEX SAT. DISH AND NOW THE STORM CAME !!!!!!! SO NOW ALL HIS GOOD SAT. AND RADIO EQUIP. GOT LOST PLZ. BRING IT BACK PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHEN I GROW UP I WANT THIS TO COME BACK THE OLD FUN LOVING MIGHTY 690AM WRNO 99.5 ROCK OF NEW ORLEANS AND THE OLD WNOE 101.1 PLZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

s olson

April 30, 2009 09:47 PM

STILL NO TUBE MUSIC CHANNEL BACK. ONE YEAR AND 7 MONTHS. THERE ARE NO GOOD MUSIC VIDEO CHANNELS. THE TUBE WAS THE BEST!!!! I HOPE LES GARLAN AND HIS CREW CAN BRING THE TUBE BACK. TOOO MUCH RAP AND HIP HOP ON TV NOW WE NEED THE TUBE BACK.MTV AND VH1 ARE PHONIES NOW ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS THE ALMIGHTY BUCK, AND NOT WHAT TRUE MUSIC LOVERS WANT TO SEE. WHICH IS GOOD ROCK N ROLL VIDEOS.

KC

July 8, 2009 04:41 AM

Well, it's been a while since The Tube went off. *sigh* It was my favorite. It was the one channel I could actually sit and watch for hours, no matter the day, no matter the time, it was always there. Always playing awesome music and showing cool music videos. Oh, how I loved The Tube. I could just curl up in my beanbag chair and be in paradise for hours and hours.

Considering HDTV is pretty much manditory now, why can't The Tube be brought back? If funding is the problem, I'm sure all the loyal fans out there could contribute some. I know I would. BRING IT BACK! BRING IT BACK! BRING BACK THE TUBE MUSIC NETWORK! BRING BACK THE TUBE!

sharon olson

July 24, 2009 12:01 AM

ONE YEAR AND 10 MONTHS..... STILL MISS THE TUBE ALOT. VH1 AND MTV STILL SUCK....LES GARLAND WE NEED YOU. PLEASE FIND A WAY TO BRING THE TUBE BACK. I AM 55 AND STILL LOVE TO ROCK N ROLL WE BABY BOOMERS NEED THE TUBE. THANK GOD I DO HAVE 7 VHS TAPES TO WATCH. PALLADIA DOESNT COMPARE TO THE TUBE THATS THE REALLY ONLY CHOICE WE HAVE. PLEASE COME BACK

Eddie

September 10, 2009 01:59 AM

I'm still waiting for The Tube to come back. There simply is, was, or never will be, another quite like it. Please Les, THINK of something. THINK! You can do this!! We're waiting for it. I will PAY YOU MONTHLY if I have to for no-commercials video-after-video-after-video service. And I'm going on 58. It's THAT important to me. Man, I miss The Tube... THANKS!! :)