Why I (Mostly) Don't Use Shopping Comparison Sites

Posted by: Rob Hof on December 4, 2005

In writing a review of Google’s Froogle shopping site, I remembered again that I just don’t use shopping comparison sites such as Froogle, Shopping.com, and Shopzilla very much. It got me thinking why:

* The big sites such as Amazon.com and eBay have such a wide variety of stuff—and in both cases to varying degrees, provide a wealth of information about prices and features—that I don’t generally need to go somewhere else to find comparisons on the products.

* My experience is that while I can sometimes find significantly better prices outside the major sites, the lower level of trust in those sites reduces that advantage substantially. It’s not that I necessarily feel I will get ripped off by anyone but the majors, but that I don’t know how fast the delivery will be, what the return policies are, and the like. That requires a discount factor.

* Despite writing about tech, I don’t actually buy that many gadgets—I just recently replaced my Motorola StarTac cell phone only after it died—and those products are the ones that seem to require the most comparing.

* The comparisons these sites make just aren’t granular enough for me when I’m at the point of making a decision. The filters look pretty good in many cases, like, say, for digital cameras, but they’re still kind of clumsy in helping me make tradeoffs among various features.

* I just don’t have time to do a lot of hunting around. And while the best comparison sites may help cut the hunting time, they themselves require a decent investment of time. They may get better, but for now, they still have the same problem as any search engine: too many results.

Still, I know a lot of people use these sites, or so the traffic numbers suggest. So tell me: Why?

Ganesh J. Acharya

December 4, 2005 1:00 PM

I too feel the same. Websites like ebay.com and amazon.com provide better features.

Let's see what Froogle, Shopping.com, and Shopzilla has to offer down the line.

Thanks

Dave Taylor

December 4, 2005 11:08 PM

Another reason is that most of the shopping comparison sites are pretty poorly done, with ridiculously small subsets of the major online shops and confusing interfaces, among other things. Sites like eBay are interesting (esp. the fixed-price sales) but eBay hasn't yet fully addressed the fraud issue and I hear too many stories of people who were ripped off by eBay sellers. I've written about this topic too, Rob, though with a different spin:

offers some ideas on how to search for the lowest price from a reputable store for a specific product (in this case, a Sony PSP), and:

Talks at a more theoretical level about online shopping, price comparison, the pros and cons of the different avenues for shopping for the best price, and some ideas on what I believe is the next Big Thing from Google: Google Shopping.

Hope they're both useful for your readership, Rob!

jeff

December 5, 2005 12:07 AM

most people find comparison shopping sites via google. people don't tend to bookmark and recall these sites. it's a bit of work to search in amazon to find the exact product you like, then visit shopzilla, froogle etc and do the same search. however, I do like one service that makes this process a bit easier. check out squaretrade sidebar (www.squaretrade.com)- it works with you as shop your favorite sites. when you find the product you like on amazon, etc, it automatically does a comparison pricing search so you don't have to do a separate search on a separate browser window. it's abit unique in that it gives you results from stores, eBay and craigslist. The link below (on my name)goes to an article in nytimes that i read about it.

Steve

December 10, 2005 6:37 AM

If comparison sites only list retailers who pay them 5-10% commission then aren't we paying 5-10% more than we need to?

If you want value, on either the highstreet or the internet, you need to shop around. If you can't be bothered to DIY it then there is a new site called haggle4me.com where you can get people to find what you are looking for for less in return for a share of the saving they find you. Worth checking out.

carl dalka

December 12, 2005 1:36 PM

Comparison shopping = starts when GM wrote bad reviews for Ford and Ford wrote bad reviews for GM. If I were a retail sales outlet = I'd write great reviews on all my stock.

nana

December 14, 2005 2:40 PM

I see the point that Amazon and ebay has everything on them. But when on ebay, you still believe in what experience other consumers have while shopping from particular seller. Same thing is done by comparison site. They try to provide you with the best possible price on the internet alongwith reviews of stores etc. on which you can decide whether to go back to amazon or choose some good merchant online and save some bucks.

Pete Freitag

December 14, 2005 5:24 PM

I guess that's all the reason to use a site like dealazon.com, which only shows deals from amazon.com.

ian

December 20, 2005 4:23 AM

www.haggle4me.com is incredible, made £15 yesterday! this is surely the future of e-shopping - this is how to really make a saving (;

John

December 20, 2005 5:52 AM

I've been using something called the SmartShopper, which is a small and light application that sits quietly on your computer and doesn't do anything until it uses its smart product matching and recognition intelligence to bring up comparison offers in the side bar of your browser. It does it for all shopping products and travel too and gives me reviews and ratings and ebay auctions too.

Rebecca Wright

December 28, 2005 12:38 PM

I am starting a small business. I just learned about eBay's Power Stores service. It looks like a fantastic and easy way to set up shop but I'm a bit incredulous. The Power Store site only has two testimonials from current "Power Store" users. Does anyone have feedback about this new service? Also, are you aware of any similar "we do it all for you" hosting sites? Thank you.

R. Wright
Mill Valley, California

Kumar

January 19, 2006 12:52 PM

With due respect to everyone who has concern with price comparison site, one need to think that each site earns/get revenue from retailers. But if a user but directly from amazon or ebay they are not entitled to such discounts. So when one buy through a price comparison site he/she is indirectly helps in growing the economy, creating wealth. I think the future is price comparison with cash back. This will benefit both the site owner and consumer. At present www.best-compare.com offers price comparison for book, movies dvd and music cd. but soon we would be having cash back option for our regular user :-)

Kumar
UK

Dan

March 23, 2006 4:37 PM

Trust seems to be a huge factor. I've had to return items bought via Amazon, and it was easy and painless. That's not always the case with some online vendors.

At jangle.net we try to show deals from Amazon in an easy-to-navigate and easy-to-read layout.

Price isn't always THE biggest draw. If you're close on price, AND the level of trust with e-tailer is high, then good things generally happen.

filip

March 28, 2006 4:05 PM

i would like to make my own comparison website for flights. anyone knows what software i can use?

Andrew

April 14, 2006 9:37 PM

These are all great concerns and comments. I happen to be a co-owner of a new price comparison company called PriceComparison.com (http://www.PriceComparison.com).

Here are my point of views:
1. Yes, some sites only offer a small subset of retailers, but it really depends on the product. If you are shopping for something popular like an iPod Nano, you will find more than 30 stores to compare with. I think that is plenty.
2. Ebay is not for everyone. Yes, Ebay can save you money too. But I have been ripped off and scammed from eBay countless times. It all depends what product I am buying.
3. Too expensive? Well yes, some price comparison sites like CNET Shopper.com and PriceGrabber.com charged a very expensive marketing fee to the retailer, therefore you will only see higher priced retailer. If the website only have high-end dealers, you are probably not saving much money.

Either way price comparison sites offer a good tool and free service. It only takes a few minutes to check for prices. Why not save some time and money while you can?

Thanks for you attention.

Andrew

Henning

April 15, 2006 3:45 PM

I live in austria, so i dont have the same market, thus comprisonsites, as you lot.
For me, when i try to compare prices, i always know before hand, which products i want to buy. Its eitehr a range of products, or reviews have already shown, which precise product i want.
I then go to comparison sites, and find the cheapest retailer.
Despite the fact, that he maybe pays the site, if its the cheapest i find, its the cehapest i find.

Austin

May 28, 2006 9:46 PM

pricecomparison.com is a scam and an expensive stupid site too.

B M

December 25, 2006 12:39 AM

Try www.TeamMaroneyProducts.com - This is a great wholesale merchandise comparison site, as well as www.MoveBulk.com is a great wholesale liquidation auction site for ebay sellers to purchase bulk merchandise for cheap to sell on eBay and other area's!

Henry

February 7, 2007 3:05 PM

Talking about online auction, www.comexinternational.com is a great liquidation and salvage merchandise auction site too just like eBay with great customer support (I recently bought 5 HD samsung wide-screen TV from them, very happy with it).

Replying to the comment above, posted by Austin: I checked pricecomparison website and I don't think it's a scam.

Online Shopper

March 15, 2007 6:25 PM

I think the major shopping engines will need to evolve in order to provide something beyond just price comparison. They need to hit all levels of the buying process from research to purchase. I think with social media and all the new features the web has to offer shopping will be totally different by 2010

Bargain Shopping

March 27, 2007 4:11 PM

Completely agree with Online Shopper. The future is not just price comparison. The future shopping sites will have all information in one place!

allfiled team

September 25, 2007 6:39 AM

allfiled is a new intelligent, secure web-based filing system that takes the hassle out of the dull stuff. It offers automatic reminders and prompts, and best of all, gets you comparative quotes for car and home insurance automatically, 24/7, and without giving your contact details to the would-be suppliers (so no annoying sales calls or junk mail). No effort on your part, and what's more, allfiled donates a proportion of its commission to charities or community projects if you buy or renew a policy. Try it free for 3 months - www.allfiled.com

Online Shopper

September 18, 2008 2:24 AM

I'm a big a fan of comparative website. I always use them when I do my online shopping.

I use Bargain-Predator.com, priccomparason.com or shupzilla and I always fin what I want

price comparison online

August 18, 2009 5:14 PM

Yes, am too craze of dealing with comparison shopping site and deals freequently as they are quite comfortable to get the lower rated goods as per our budget!

ShopItRightNow

October 30, 2009 1:12 PM

Saying that eBay or Amazon are the cats pajamas is ridiculous. Shopping comparison sites have evolved (Amazon and eBay participate in them). Shopping comparison sites are there for you after you have done your research about the product you want to buy, to provide you a resource for the best price.

Amazon has some of the worst ratings because of their customer service.

And by the way, it is not the fault of the shopping comparison site if the information is wrong, misleading or incorrect - the participating vendors that sell the products provide all of this information. The best site I have seen for women's shoes online is HouserShoes.com

By far and away their prices AND customer service are superior than anything you'll find at Amazon or eBay.