Viva Vinyl!

Posted by: Rob Hof on December 8, 2005

My record player is broken, and I miss playing my LPs, many of which have stuff available neither on CDs nor on digital download sites. Apparently, I’m not alone. Wired reports that vinyl records are staging a small comeback, thanks to their “warmer” sound and the fact that they have undeniably higher fidelity (except for the pops and skips) than anything digital. Maybe other folks are waking up to the fact that we’re losing something in the rush to digital technology.

Piers Fawkes

December 9, 2005 2:11 AM

You and three other people might be waking up. But somehow I think the vinyl has gone the way of the steam engine

joelor

December 12, 2005 12:32 PM

Our record player is also broken and my husband is going through withdrawal. I agree we do lose something with digital. Glad to see that we are not alone.

awhite

December 12, 2005 5:51 PM

The trend seems to be more lo-fi. Think MP3. Since the CD was introduced, audiophiles have known this fact about LPs. Nothing new here. I have 300 albums, and I don't miss the maintenance.

Andy Young

December 13, 2005 2:17 PM

Even with the music in digital format, what about all the other elements that came with vinyl that are missing today? Cover art and liner notes where as much a part of the experience in some cases, as the music. If anything, digital music is driving the renewed interest in records as consumers are rediscovering music from 20, 30 or even 40 years ago. I believe baby boomers and older generationX members now see record albums as something to be cherished, not necessarily because they like the sound of vinyl, but because the album itself represent a tangible connection to the past. I know it’s self-serving, but what timing! I’ve just launched a business to address this very subject. See TuniPop.com

angelduran

December 31, 2005 3:21 PM

Well, i buy vinyls 'cause they make me look cool. Just check juno.co.uk if you think vinyl is dead.

peter sstaxen

January 2, 2006 1:20 AM

A broken record player can be replaced. You'd be amazed how many companies are still producing record players a.k.a. turn tables. From several hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. Only your budget is the limit. Enjoy your vinyl for many more years :-)

joe

September 26, 2006 11:07 PM

Vinyl never left. You just shop at the wrong stores.

Justin

October 6, 2008 4:11 AM

So many choices and so little time… you can even get a turntable that has USB outputs to hook to your computer so you can rip your vinyl. Hands down the best place to find anything having to do with music – whether its books, vinyl, LPs, CDs, or collectibles – is GEMM.com, they literally boast one of the best selections out there right now.