Best Way to Post Video Clips to Share Publicly?

Posted by: Rob Hof on December 23, 2005

I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to post some video to go along with a story that’s running today online. I’d like to find an easy, fast site for posting a half-dozen video clips—about 15 to 25 MB apiece—that anyone then can view. I tried Grouper, whose software lets you create a nicely produced video, but I couldn’t figure out where the clip that I uploaded landed (assuming it really did upload). Ourmedia.org looks very promising, but it wouldn’t let me do anything (even after registering for Internet Archive, as required). I also posted the clips to Google’s beta video uploading service, but they’re still waiting to be “verified.” I’m sure all those would work if I took more time to figure out what I’m supposed to do, but… maybe someone here knows an easier way?

UPDATE: Still can’t get Ourmedia to upload anything. Got six short video clips up on Google, but… they’re still waiting to be “verified” after several days. At this point, the story is several days old, so I guess it’s academic. Never realized it would be so hard to do this.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

Klim

December 23, 2005 12:34 PM

Hey Rob,

Before I give you a list, I recommend:
OurMedia.org - Yes it does allow you to upload and store unlimited video.
Google Video - Pretty good simple service.

For more fancy sites:
Sharkle.com - One of the best out there, with great quality, if 1GB storage isn't an issue with you.

Boltfolio - If you are a Flickr fan, you'll feel at home here.

For more video hosting options, read video sharing sites roundup :

Christy Hoffman

December 23, 2005 12:37 PM

If you want to get this done free, stick it out with OurMedia. I had a similar "nothings happening" experience with them, but finally logged in and uploaded. Try a small file first, just to see if you can get it working. I would have rather had the file NOT play automatically, cuz it slows down loading, so watch for that option.

Here's my OurMedia experiment video - an adorable clip of my kitten for my blog -

Rob Hof

December 23, 2005 01:22 PM

Christy and Klim: Thanks very much, sounds like I'm at least on the right track. I've now gotten further with Ourmedia, using its uploading software, so hope that will work....

Klim

December 23, 2005 02:29 PM

Rob, if OurMedia is giving you pain, I suggest you try more user friendly sites. I had trouble with OurMedia a couple times before too. There is also Video.com that is geared to Vloggers, so it should be easy to upload and get things running.

Klim

December 23, 2005 04:43 PM

oops... that should be VIMEO.com not video... should have used the preview feature.

Josh Morgan

December 27, 2005 02:36 PM

Rob,

Try out www.Revver.com. (full disclosure, they are a client of Edelman).

Nice thing is once you post them, they can be downloaded by others, posted on their sites etc. Can even be pulled into iTunes.

Good luck,
Josh Morgan

Nik Cubrilovic

December 28, 2005 08:44 AM

Rob we have solved these problems but we are in beta at the moment. We will get your video's onto the web with a drag+drop. Check out www.omnidrive.com.au.

Matt Hicks

December 28, 2005 06:39 PM

Might try www.YouTube.com. It's based on being able to easily upload and share clips--including directly on your blog--without software downloads or a long verification process. (FYI: I do work with YouTube).

ZuDfunck

January 4, 2006 11:45 AM

Video Posting is complicated but with the tutorials provided on this site even your dog could have a Vlog:

freevlog.org

Oh and its free!

Wally

January 9, 2006 04:19 PM

I just found dropshots.com last week while trying to post some video of a Rose Bowl party. I was able to easily link to it. They also host photos.

Paul Watson

January 9, 2006 06:13 PM

I found YouTube.com to work reasonably well.

Charlie Wallace

January 9, 2006 09:15 PM

I've had good results with vmix.com. They use swf format to play back, nice and smooth.

Steven Roussey

January 10, 2006 06:01 PM

My friends swear by revver.com

Jeremy Pepper

January 10, 2006 06:56 PM

I like YouTube, and have used it, and also like Audioblog.com (and currently use it).

With YouTube, you can take the coding and put it on your own site. Had a student do that for her final project, and it turned out nice.

Mark Sigal

February 15, 2006 07:53 PM

You really should check out vSocial (disclaimer: I am a co-founder). I think the key takeaways after a 5-10 minutes test drive of the vSocial service are as follows:

1. vSocial makes the video upload, encode, publish and distribute process brain dead simple so it just works. Our users tell us that we have really nailed it from a user interface and usability perspective.

2. The service is differentiated from all others in the sense that the company provides browser based tools (i.e., no downloads required) that enable you to actually "do something" with videos after you have uploaded them.

You can integrate videos on the site into your video iPod in a click. You can create posts to Blogger and TypePad accounts via Blog It!, vSocial’s web based WYSIWYG editor.

User badges adorn MySpace, Xanga and other community pages and showcase your latest and favorite videos.

Best of all, the new “Play All Videos” feature in the company’s embedded video roll player allows consumers to watch an amalgam of clips as one continuous "reel." This enables consumers to become virtual broadcasters by compiling stories using multiple clips.

You can test this feature out by going to the About Page (http://www.vsocial.com/about.php) on vSocial and clicking on the "Play All Videos" button in the video roll embedded in the page.

There you can also see the standard embedded player, which provides remote viewers visibility to comments on your video, tags associated with it and controls for sharing and grabbing the clip.

Cheers,

Mark
-----
vSocial: The Video Clip Sharing Community: www.vsocial.com
Tell stories, start conversations, extend the web -- with video.

IanWosiski

May 30, 2006 10:31 PM

I've tested as many free video hosting sites/services as I could find, and in the end, Revver wins in my opinion.

The quality of the final compressed video was better than it's peers, and you get a revenue share of any click through ad revenue generated from the ad embedded at the end of your video file.

Here's a list of free video hosting sites to check out, some of which have already been mentioned:

www.revver.com

www.lightningcast.com

www.shadowtv.com

Enjoy!

Ian

kim

August 29, 2006 03:17 PM

You could add your video to Time Netsule's Internet time capsule but you wouldn't be able to watch it for another 50 years. ;o)

evan

September 21, 2006 07:52 PM

Waoh. Thats an impressive list of video sites.

Thanks Ian. You have just cut down my sleeping hours. haha.

Syed

January 1, 2007 10:45 PM

Thanks guys, you make my sleeping hours cut too! I already join some sharing video website! and some of them is cool! Thanks a lot dude!

Syed,
Jemput.Com

Joe Mickey

January 9, 2007 10:53 PM

Working with a begging bowl budget to get our video clips across the Web, I found this to be quite a useful article... Thanks... www.tibetanphotoprojec.com

Check our clips

Stay awake, you are still missing a few...

Chris

January 20, 2007 07:32 PM

You should try Viddler http://www.viddler.com
500 mb video file size limit, share videos, timed comments, it's new.

TopherX

April 27, 2007 03:55 PM

If you want the best video quality playback, try Stage6.com which is DIVX's YouTube copycat. The playback is almost DVD quality and the encoder/codec is only $20.

Once you have your videos you can embed them everywhere. If you have a fiction based video or series consider posting them on ComedyCaster

andrew finnestad

May 21, 2007 11:39 AM

Hi all,

I have tried youtube and found it to be ok, but they excluded my wedding video as too long.

I Tried a great service called Veoh (free by the way) and it worked out great.

IMHO,

Andy

Motiono

July 4, 2007 09:41 AM

These are all great video sharing sites, sites such as Veoh and Dailymotion have come on top of the list recently as their video quality has improved and so on, i would love to see these companies advance their technologies into the next level.

Anne

September 23, 2007 01:49 AM

I recently found a really good video sharing site (www.Buzdeo.com) which I have been using for the last few months. It enables me to upload videos that are fairly large (clips of 100Mb +) and then share them either privately with friends and family or publicly (on a blog etc) .
What I really liked about the site was how easy it was since Buzdeo seems to just work whatever I upload clips onto it. The viewing history is also a nice feature which allows me to see straight away who and when had viewed my Video clip. I have friends and family in the US and Austrailia and its a really good way to stay in touch and share those memories.