Microsoft vs Apple Redux?

Posted by: Cliff Edwards on July 11, 2005

The rumor mill is hot right now that Cingular, Motorola and Apple are soon to announce the long-awaited iTunes phone.
The big question isn’t whether the much-delayed phone will come. I wonder whether it might be too little, too late. Because it’s likely that you will have to plug it into a pc or Mac to download songs, critics say the immediate allure of the product doesn’t extend much beyond what you can do with an iPod.
Meantime, fan sites are buzzing with anticipation for another Motorola phone, code-named Franklin.motorola-franklin.jpg It looks as stylish at the hit Razr V3 phone, uses the Windows Mobile operating system and will have a built-in Qwerty keyboard for e-mailing a la the Blackberry and Treo—as well as the requisite multimedia for downloading songs.
No doubt some will say there’s room for both, and you certainly can’t beat the simplicity of Apple’s software. But it looks like this one could be a squeaker for Apple. I haven’t seen any definitive pics yet of the iTunes product, but much will depend on its design.
I can’t wait for the fireworks to begin.

TrackBack URL for this entry: http://blogs.businessweek.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/

Matt

July 12, 2005 08:06 PM

Hmm. I can't say that I'm particularly looking forward to the "iTunes Phone" - except for the fact that I'm looking to replace my Sony Ericsson T616 because it's become rather dented and scratched from falling out of my shirt pocket all the time and has taken on a bad habit of crashing at odd moments.

My main complaint with the T616 is that the camera is absolutely terrible. As long as the design of the iTunes phone is at least as snazzy at the T616 and the camera is better, I'd certainly consider buying one...especially if Apple has had any input into the overall software design of the phone.

I think the *last* thing I need is carrying around more of Bill Gates' buggy, insecure products in my pocket. IE on a phone? No thanks. Bill would have been better off spinning off Windows Mobile as a "stealth" brand, like how Dasani bottled water is made by Coke.

Are people *really* slavering over a fake Treo with Windows Mobile on it?

Stat

July 26, 2005 08:35 PM

Please. The I've seen pictures of the itunes pjone-all it really is, is a nice E398 with a xtra button. The Franklin (officialy the "Q") will be cool, and will *hopefully*(I hate blackberrys)stab the life at of them and the treos, which are stupid pieces of junk.

David

August 2, 2005 01:08 AM

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why we have to have a QWERTY keyboard on these things? Is QWERTY the new alphabetical order, or something?

QWERTY is hideously inefficient even on a full-scale keyboard. It's a complete nonsense on a hand-held device where you're going to be hunting and pecking with one finger (or thumb).

cfutbol

February 13, 2007 11:45 AM

QWERTY is the order of the letters on a full-sized keyboard you idiot.

krit

February 15, 2008 01:05 AM

derrr.
this is a madd phone.
don't know what your on about, and there is a keyboard on the phone cause its 'the go'.
and you use TWO THUMBS to type!

Diamond Faisal

June 13, 2008 11:51 AM

Yes Freand I can't say that I'm particularly looking forward to the "iTunes Phone" - except for the fact that I'm looking to replace my Sony Ericsson T616 because it's become rather dented and scratched from falling out of my shirt pocket all the time and has taken on a bad habit of crashing at odd moments.

Diamond Faisal

June 13, 2008 11:51 AM

wolfman

July 12, 2009 04:43 AM

It's so great. But it's not beautiful.they can make it better.