Bebo.com: Taking Your Address Book to The Next Level

Posted by: Olga Kharif on February 22, 2005

I first learned of Bebo.com a week ago, when a college friend living in Hawaii sent me an e-mail asking me to enter my contact information into the site’s database. When another friend, this one living in Oregon, asked me to register for Bebo.com as well, I became convinced that the site — which claims it can prevent people from losing touch with one another — could be the next big thing since the paper address book.

In today's day and age, when many people change their countries and states of residence every few years, Bebo.com offers an automated, yet simple solution to keeping up with your friends' ever-changing contact information. Every three months, it sends e-mails to all contacts you've entered to see if any of their contact details, such as their address or phone number, have changed.

The beauty of this approach is, you never have to enter their new data in yourself. Your contacts will update your database for you.

But Bebo.com is a lot more than an address book. The site will not only help you keep track of your contacts' moves, but it will also help you facilitate long-distance friendships. The site allows friends to view each other's photos and journal entries.

Basically, Bebo.com is a different take on social networking, already well exploited by companies like LinkedIn.com and Friendster.com. Only while most other sites are trying to create huge networks of people, most of whom don't know each other, and have rather ambitious goals (Friendster.com has 13 million users and can function as an online dating service, or as a professional networking tool), Bebo.com is simply trying to be a better address book. You only keep in touch with the people you normally keep in touch with.

That's a concept that instantly makes sense. That's why I think Bebo.com's use is spreading like wild fire.

Vernon Lewis

October 9, 2005 9:42 PM

I've been trying to access Bebo.com for quite some time this evening, no luck. It seems that they are offline...unavailable, which is kind of strange for a service like this one. Do you have any current info on this company & it's operations? I was using the service for almost a year, but now find it unaccessible.

RSVP,
VL

Rob Hof

October 9, 2005 10:29 PM

Vernon, I just tried it and it seems to be up.

coryn

December 15, 2005 5:31 AM

i agree with you that bebo is a great way of keeping in touch with people i am leaving school this year and was very scared of losing contact with my friends i am now a regular user of bebo and it will be a great way of keeping in touch with old m8s.

jodie louise ryder

December 29, 2005 9:16 AM

people like to go on bebo because it is fun
and fantastic for people to use

Liza

January 27, 2006 5:09 PM

Anyone know how to post videos on their charts...and can you please direct me towards a good video database site...Thanks...By the way...I have little comp knowledge..so as far as SFW goes I have no clue...

THanks

Vanilla Chin

January 28, 2006 1:12 PM

How does this compare to Plaxo.com? It sounds similiar but perhaps not as scary for some reason?

Norma

February 27, 2006 12:39 PM

does anyone know who owns Bebo, or what it is part of?

mcmonk

May 6, 2006 11:40 AM

yea, i'm pretty much addicted to bebo, but who are these guys???

Robert Mackenzie

May 12, 2006 6:43 AM

Theres some very definite bad points about Bebo though, I've got about 80 msn contacts and today I checked my emails after having been away for just 2 days, I had 65 emails. 58 of the 65 were from Bebo, most of them from people I didn't even know! And it's not just the join me on bebo! ones, it carries on with the most annoying quizzes money can buy. I mean sure it's great for keeping in touch with ppl, but its downside is much much worse. From a 14 year old's side anyway

martha

August 5, 2006 9:01 AM

I honestly think that Bebo is one of the best things that has ever came into my life! when you are bored bebo is always there for you to be able to leave comments on other peoples bebo!!!! i love it and always will!!!!!!!!!!!!so keep bebo on the enternet!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE

ally

September 18, 2006 7:06 AM

why haz bebo been banned fae schools lyk? i da get that ?!!!!!!

Beth

September 22, 2006 5:56 PM

i loooooooooove bebo and even though my parents have banned me like every young one i disobey keep it its my pride and joy!!! :)

Greg

September 27, 2006 9:20 AM

Does anyone know how bebo makes money?

James

November 12, 2006 7:42 PM

Bebo are spammers, they use all your address book details and then spam all the people on that list.

Great way to lose friends, Bebo is a con, STOP SPEADING THE VIRUS of SPAM.

kimberly hill

November 23, 2006 4:47 PM

i love bebo its the best my parents always tells me to clean up but i can't because bebo has me busy bebo is a very fun website and a good website to keep in contact with your friends as well as others.............................i love it

mark

February 17, 2007 6:49 PM

Pauline

February 21, 2007 11:47 AM

ii luv bebo. ii am from Louisiana but ii leave in Kentucky and on bebo ii can post comments on all my friendz pages. ii can also send them messagez. bebo has helped me stay in touch wit all my friendz. if they wasn't a bebo. ii don't kno wat ii would do cuz ii don't lyk myspace r tagged. they r both wack. soo to whoeva created bebo, ii luv u jus as much as ii luv yo site, bebo. ii want to thank u so much

ii'm out

Jerrold Mesteth

February 26, 2007 7:54 PM

For the past couple weeks, I been trying to get into Bebo but it says the web page might be down! What's the deal? But anyway, I've been a longtime user and I gotta tell ya this is a kool site. To all you Bebo people, keep up the good work.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

March 18, 2007 4:05 AM

Err sorry but im a teenager aged 13. I use bebo, yes i do think its some sort of Spam/Evil thing :P best way i can descibe it But.. whats so bad about it? Yer some people think Its like a Cheep version of myspace but.... Its cool :P i think?

Take a look at mine.

marty

May 29, 2007 4:29 AM

See comment about Bebo:

"In another sense too, Bebo and romance go hand in hand. All social networks serve a second and less obvious use as online personals.
Internet dating, although rapidly gaining mainstream acceptance in the United States, remains anathema among Irish students. Bebo, and
networks like it, slyly tick most of the boxes of dating services, minus the implicit desperation,"

lianne barnard

September 23, 2007 2:49 PM

these comments are wicked... filming a documentary for A2 media at college about internet socialising websites, and these comments are gold keep them coming!

maddie

October 31, 2007 6:45 PM

hey

maiko

November 13, 2007 5:05 PM

hey how is life!!!

szABO

November 20, 2007 11:47 AM

hey,

Bebo has been banned from internet explorer web browser, if thats the case for you i recommend downloading Firefox its better imo i use it at home instead of IE but if u want to access bebo, use another web browsing programme.

this is just fyi hey,

this is just fyi

doks

November 29, 2007 2:19 PM

how do we registor in the faster way?

donna thompson

December 18, 2007 9:48 PM

i want to set up bebo page 4 my son but i dont have reg on my page or on my email page how can i get him a page ?

Alexa

January 18, 2008 9:56 AM

bebo at school is always blocked is there a way to get there. like a secret website to get there.

monica

April 3, 2008 12:46 PM

same here, i can even get on bebo, the school has to blocked it, and there no other way for me to keep on touch with family and friends...

marianne

May 8, 2008 10:03 AM

hey wat u guyes talking about i dont have a clue.

unknown mundeeface

May 11, 2008 9:01 PM

i agree with blocking bebo in school peoplez......lolz... keep blocking it though good for everyone make it fair.

Neeci...X

June 30, 2008 8:39 AM

bebo is rubish you all need to get a life. There are so much better things than bebo. I have only had it for 5 weeks and i am bored of it already.

jess

July 15, 2008 6:14 AM

bebo is gud wot u goin on abwt eeee haha and i need website ta get on it

KIM GUNN

October 9, 2008 10:41 AM

I WISH YALL SHOULD BLOCK OUT BEBO BECUZ I LIKE 2 CHAT WITH MY BOYFRIEND FROM BELZONI..... AND I LOVE HYM SO MUCH WE HAVE BEEN 2-GETHA SINCE SATURDAY JULY 19, 2008.... AND WE LOVE EACH OTHA SO MUCH.... SO WILL YALL PLEASE UNBLOCK BEBO..... JUST CALL ME @ 1-662-369-7929... AND ASK 2 SPEAKE 2 KIM GUNN..... IM GONE TELL U A LIL'ABOUT MYSELF...
NAME: KIM GUNN
SPORT: BASKETBALL
AGE: 16
BIRTHDAT: 10/14/91
AND I LIKE GONING PLACES WITH MY BOYFRIEND WALTER JR. BLACK
AND I LOVE MY SISTA-N-LAW AYANNA BLACK AND MY OTHA SISTA-N-LAW LASHONDA BLACK....

WELL DATZ ALL I GOTTA SAY SO PLEASE DONT 4-GET 2 CALL ME OK....

bethany lynch

October 24, 2008 4:45 PM

I loooooove bebo but one thing i haaaate is school!
i am in p5 i have a buddy called leah smith

jayda

October 31, 2008 4:32 PM

i want a bebo page but i dont know how to make one can you tell me

jayda

October 31, 2008 4:35 PM

tell me how to make a bebo and sign in please post back

Lashunda

November 7, 2008 9:59 AM

I HATE DAT THEY BLOCK BEBO. BECUZ DATZ HOW I CAN STAY INTOUCH WITH MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY. AND I AM ASKIN NICT DIS TYME CAN YALL PLEASE UNBLOCK BEBO 4 ME SO I CAN C IF I HAVE ANY Mail.....

killa2010

December 18, 2008 10:11 AM

I REALLY WISH DAT DEY WOULD STOP BLOCKING BEBO. IT AINT LIKE ITS BAD. DEY BLOOCK ERRYTHING. I LUV BEBO!!!!

cj

March 3, 2009 12:55 PM

how to unblock it at school?