Milken Institute Ranks the Best Cities for Jobs

Posted by: Chris Palmeri on November 13, 2009

The Milken Institute came out with its annual list of cities that are best able to create jobs. The top ten were culled from a list of the nation’s 200 largest cities. All have managed to avoid the worst of the economic meltdown driven by falling housing markets and job losses in manufacturing and global trade.

The 2009 top 10 performers

1. Austin-Round Rock, TX
2. Killeen-Temple-Fort Hood, TX
3. Salt Lake City, UT
4. McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX
5. Houston-Sugar Land-Baytown, TX
6. Durham, NC
7. Olympia, WA
8. Huntsville, AL
9. Lafayette, LA
10. Raleigh-Cary, NC

Texas cities dominate the list. The free-marketers at the Milken Institute already love the Lone Star State with its lack of zoning laws and no state income tax. Communities such as Houston, Austin, Killen and not too far Lafayette, Louisiana never saw a big run up in home prices and they have the still strong energy sector supporting their economies.

The Milken folks noted that the biggest decliners on list included multiple cities in Florida and California where housing related jobs continue to disappear. Michigan cities are also among the nation’s weakest performers, with heavy losses in durable goods and automotive manufacturing.

Realtors

November 16, 2009 12:25 AM

Been looking for this list and I think it would be a great idea to invest in these cities.

Realtors

November 16, 2009 12:25 AM

-John@Realtors

Patrick

December 17, 2009 4:57 PM

The Texas market is real hot. I just had a friend send in a letter of intent on a 130 unit apartment building in Dallas, Texas. If the deal goes through he will be looking at a 9.5% cap rate and a cash on cash return on the asking price will be about 14%. From everything I have been hearing I would agree that the Texas real estate market is preforming. Get more Real Estate Investing ideas. Real Estate Investing

Jess

February 10, 2010 11:30 PM

I lived in Texas less than a year ago. The Texas real estate is actually doing very well; not as well as it has before but it's still doing better than other cities. Investing in Texas would be great idea for the future. Both Austin and Houston are amazing cities.

Jess

February 10, 2010 11:35 PM

I lived in Texas less than a year ago. The Texas real estate is doing well, not as well as it's been before but better than other cities. It would be a good idea to invest in these cities for the future. Both Austin and Houston are amazing cities.

Steve Alter

February 21, 2010 11:01 PM

There has always been a problem with property investing in Texas and that revolves around the fact that it's just so dam easy to build another brand new property to compete with the one that you bought. There are very few barriers to entry and that makes it difficult if not impossible to ever raise your rents. If you're buying a deal in Texas then go the extra mile to make sure that you've got a strong going in yield. If you've got a real 9.5 cap rate and can borrow long term at under 7% interest then you'll have a terrific cash and cash return so long as you buy the deal at a significant discount to replacement costs. One of the best places to either source or sell the larger cap properties or loans is Realcapitalmarkets.com at www.rcm1.com .

MakeitRichinNY

February 22, 2010 7:06 AM

Nice to meet everyone. Numbers are the way you do it that's for sure. When it all looks Great on paper that just makes the investor feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Not to Shave your Bear but people come on...I am amazed at how many investors come to us saying "It all looked great on paper that's why I purchased it". The facts your not seeing or no one is telling you is you need Solid, Good and Affordable property management. How many investors I have worked with now that are just fed up with their investments properties and are selling at a huge loss...and some one else is going to pick up and make the right choices with that property. Our Market here is Solid. The need for Good Housing is Huge. An untapped Market here in Rochester NY are Single Homes with min of 4 bedrooms and 1.5 baths. Rents can be as high as $1050 per month and the purchase prices are around $30K. Go and pick yourself up 10 of them and let's see how your income is looking then. But do your homework. Lot's of scams here, To many people calling themselves managers who take your money and run. Place in unscreened tenants, and take money from you for repairs. BEWARE...Do you home work Friends. You can make it huge here if you take your time and do your home work. Thanks to our great support and hard work we are now offering our services not only in Rochester NY but Buffalo and Syracuse. Will take your calls any time or if you have questions or even know people who have a story about property management here in Rochester NY I would be open to talk about it. Honesty is key. you can't even trust most of the real estate agents here, so who can you turn to...good sound advice, available always http://www.propertysolutionsus.com
www.propertysolutionsus.com

Paul Salamanca

March 1, 2010 7:20 AM

I just found this great website for no fee apartments called www.SkipBrokers.com..No fee apartments....

Paul Salamanca

March 1, 2010 7:21 AM

Paul Salamanca

March 1, 2010 7:23 AM

Nicaragua Real Estate

March 18, 2010 7:26 AM

I am looking for a home with three bed rooms, located comfortably in and around America. Suggest me some ideas please.

[url=http://www.groundfloorproperties.com][b]Nicaragua Real Estate[/b][/url]

Nicaragua Real Estate

March 18, 2010 7:32 AM

I am in search of a new home with three bed rooms located in and around America. The cost should be appropriate. Suggest me some ideas please.

Nicaragua Real Estate

Nicaragua Real Estate

March 18, 2010 7:34 AM

www.groundfloorproperties.com

Nicaragua Real Estate

March 18, 2010 7:37 AM

Hi Paul, is it really no fee apartments. I can't believe my eyes.