Is a Vegetarian Real Estate Agent More Trustworthy?

Posted by: Prashant Gopal on July 31, 2009

A San Francisco Bay-area real estate broker is targeting his message to an unlike group of buyers and sellers: Vegetarians. I’m not sure what an agent’s eating habits have to do with his ability to sell houses, but I’m sure the pitch is more likely to work in San Francisco than, say, Houston.

This is how Daniel Berman of Pacific Century Realty explains it on his VeggieReeltor.com Web site (Yes, that’s how the URL is spelled), in an “Open Letter to My Fellow Vegetarians:”

Why would it matter that you, as a vegetarian, have a real estate agent who is also a vegetarian? Simply stated, it’s a matter of shared values, an approach to life and a way of relating to others. If you’ve been a vegetarian (or vegan) for any length of time, you know what I mean.

He goes on to say:

Why should the real estate profession be the exclusive domain of meat-eating right-wing conservatives? I don’t think I have to apologize for my presence in a profession that is overwhelmingly populated with people who don’t share many if not most of my views. I believe there is a need for people with my perspective, values and sensibilities, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is to offer an alternative…

This blog item might be red meat for all the non-vegetarians out there, but let’s hear from some veggie buyers and sellers as well.

(Thanks to the San Francisco Chronicle).

gabe, san diego

July 31, 2009 6:24 PM

Can't believe somebody actually took the time to write about this idiotic comparison.......

CodeRed

July 31, 2009 6:29 PM

Sounds stupid. Being a Vegetarian has nothing to do with selling real estate. If anything he only alienates himself from people who are looking for an agent but who happen to eat meat, possibly even discriminating against meat-eaters.

Kylo

July 31, 2009 6:42 PM

If I was in the market for a house I would choose a vegetarian realtor over a meat-eater, just as a gay person might choose a gay-owned and operated realty business or a black person may choose a black realtor. I definitely do feel more of a connection to ethical vegetarians than to meat eaters so of course I would want to see him do well selling homes.

DanTe

July 31, 2009 6:48 PM

But of course I can trust a vegetarian. I can trust it to be stupid. www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-150859/How-vegetarian-diets-harm-childs-IQ.html

John

August 1, 2009 7:51 AM

Was BaldingLefthandedDyslexicNosePickingReeltor.com already taken?

dewey maurice

August 1, 2009 10:14 PM

As a SVP R.E. Banker, who is a fifth generation Vegan from the united progressive "Green State" of Vermont; whose wife and 3 children, ages 13 to 30 are all active gardener V's, I speak with 23 yrs. of experience and expertise, that people with common ground to stand upon will employ a Vegan Realtor over the competition whenever the facts are clearly evident in the Realtors continence. As for me and my house, fellow Vegans have always had our best interest at heart through all the business of the past 5 houses we have owned, improved, added on to and resold. Our present home has a tax assessment of $425,000.00 and is owned free and clear of any liens, mortgages, or encumberences. Now that is what I consider reaping what we have sown ! Sincerely, "Vermonts Green Banker"

AC

August 2, 2009 10:13 AM

I'm a vegetarian, however I haven't been for "an extended period of time." I understand that vegetarians tend to have a better appreciation of good, healthy foods and that most veggies tend to be liberal and left-wing, but I don't see how these values could effect decisions in buying a house.

As a right-wing, somewhat conservative, vegetarian, I also resent the current vegetarian stereotype. Being a vegetarian is about food choices, not political viewpoints.

meatlover

August 2, 2009 3:14 PM

seems a silly marketing tactic, but these are trying times for real estate agents after all. the easy money from the recent housing boom lured many to crowd the profession. add to that the bust, and it's no surprise that agents will either consider a career change or specialize in a niche.

Firozali A. Mulla

August 3, 2009 9:45 AM

Agent , Mediator, Representative, Instrument, Negotiator. Trust them. NO.
I do not have much idea. I find these days, all have the GM injection that make the foods as good as the McDonalds, KFC,( Why they call the oily stuff” “Finger leaking” beats me but that is their selling technique. no comments,), Hardees, the fish and chip fried three times, The cabbage boiled, kept in the fridge re-boiled when requested, and re-boiled, it taste like the cobweb. The injection are not bad as they are meant to feed the few with the bulk. Trust my mom. She picks up the eggs from the chicken herself at 4 am, puts this on the toasts and grills these. Oh, it tasted so good, out of this world. It is.
MY MOM IS GOOOOD
The United Nations food aid agency said Wednesday it will be forced to cut programs even as hunger soars amid the global economic crisis because pledged donations have failed to materialize.World Food Programme executive director Josette Sheeran said that the agency's 2009 budget of "assessed, approved needs" is 6.7 billion dollars. The WFP now expects, after consultations with governments, donations of 3.7 billion
I thank you
Firozali A.Mulla

Elaine Vigneault

August 3, 2009 7:49 PM

"If you’ve been a vegetarian (or vegan) for any length of time, you know what I mean."

Yup. That's why you omnis don't get it.

I'm vegan and I'd hire this guy :)